What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spotted Horses

Quote from: vandermolen on Today at 07:56:32 AMIt's a fine discs. We regularly get Spitfires flying over our garden. I think that people pay £1000+ for a short ride (in a fast machine  ;D ) down to the coast and back.

I'm not sure how that would work. The Spitfire was a single-seat aircraft. You pay £1000+ and you fly it yourself? Do you regular see them fly toward the coast and not come back? :)
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

mahler10th

The Karl Henning Ensemble
Live streamed from Kings Chapel, Boston

Quite a showcase of Karls music!  How fortunate we are to have such a thoughtful Composer in our midst.
Live Concert

Harry

Carl Nielsen (1865– 1931)

Concerto, Op.33, FS 61, (1911) for Violin and Orchestra, Dedicated to Emil Telmányi.
Symphony No. 4, Op.29, FS 76 'The Inextinguishable' (1914– 16)  ('Det Uudslukkelige').

James Ehnes violin.
Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra Edward Gardner.
Recording venue, Grieghallen, Bergen, Norway 2022.

This is by all means a spectacular performance of the Violin concerto, no doubt about it, and that goes pretty much for the Symphony. SOTA sound. Breathtaking, from the moment this performance starts your in, from head to toe. This is pretty hard to topple.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

vandermolen

Quote from: Spotted Horses on Today at 08:24:11 AMI'm not sure how that would work. The Spitfire was a single-seat aircraft. You pay £1000+ and you fly it yourself? Do you regular see them fly toward the coast and not come back? :)
Haha  ;D
They've been converted into two-seater aircraft:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Spotted Horses

Quote from: vandermolen on Today at 09:02:30 AMHaha  ;D

That is grotesque! It would work better in one of the WWII era planes that is most interesting to me, the Douglas Dauntless.

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

SonicMan46

This morning I pulled out my 16 or so discs of:

Nielsen, Carl (1865-1931) - Clarinet Works w/ David Shifrin; Piano Solo w/ Martin Roscoe; and String Quartets w/ the Oslo SQ - looked at plenty of reviews (attached for the interested) - the piano performances have a lot of competition, so may go to Spotify plus any comments; the SQs are well reviewed and other offerings exist.  Next up the Symphonies - Dave

Pohjolas Daughter

Listened to some of the live performances today from the Karl Henning ensemble.  Alas, there was a combo of a bit of a weird echo plus couldn't hear the performers' comments about the works very well.  :(

Liked that they opened up with the fuchsia work which I quite enjoy.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Lisztianwagner

Continuing with Henze's symphonies, the 1st for chamber orchestra was really compelling:

Hans Werner Henze
Symphony No.2

Marek Janowski & Rundfunk-Sinfonieorchester Berlin

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Linz

Handel Dixit Dominus Marc Minkowski. Choeur des Musiciens du Louvre, Les Musiciens du Louvre

prémont

Quote from: vandermolen on Today at 09:02:30 AMHaha  ;D

Hard to tell because you can't see the relief of the wings. It could be a variant of the so-called Defiant.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Linz

Smetana Má vlast Karel Ancerl

JBS

Mozart Marathon

CDs 33-35
Piano Concertos 14-21
With the London Symphony Orchestra

K 449 in E Flat*
K 450 in B Flat*
K 451 in D*
K 435 in G**
K 456 in B Flat*
K 459 in F**
K 466 in d minor***
K 467 in C**

Conductors
*Colin Davis
**Witold Rowicki
***Alceo Galliera

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Linz on Today at 11:58:09 AMSmetana Má vlast Karel Ancerl
Cool!  I haven't heard that recording before!  What can you tell me about it?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mandryka

Quote from: Harry on Today at 12:13:06 AMFrançois Dufaut.
Pieces de Luth and Manuscrits.
Hopkinson Smith plays on a Pietro Railich Lute, Venise, 1644.
See back cover for more details.

Another pearl in the crown of Smith, a master Lute player of yore, and one of the best that graced our earth. Recording and performance are without blemish.

It is very beautiful music. I've been listening to Dufaut ever since I saw your post this morning - Sigrun Richter, not Hopkinson Smith, for no reason other than that she was at the top of the list when I searched for recordings.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Henk

'Being humble and wise is knowing not being wise.'

Symphonic Addict

More interesting works by Braunfels. The Divertimento for radio orchestra and the Serenade for small orchestra are the highlights on this disc.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

VonStupp

Fanfares
Onyx Brass
  and friends...

Listening to 58 tracks, you really get a microcosmic sense of stylistic differences between these composers. Some use pauses effectively, others go further afield harmonically, but I like when there is a lyrical aspect aside the typical regalities.

Elisabeth Lutyens, Imogen Holst, and to some extent Tippett, push the boundary of what a fanfare actually is in my mind.
VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

foxandpeng

Quote from: Harry on Today at 06:48:16 AMROSENBERG, Hilding (1892–1985)

Symphony No. 6 (1951) 'Sinfonia semplice'.
Symphony No. 3 (1939).

Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra, Mario Venzago.
Recorded: (Symphony No. 6) 2005, (Symphony No. 3) at the Gothenburg Concert Hall, Sweden.

Yes. Very yes. Very much enjoy these.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

foxandpeng

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on Today at 10:35:37 AMContinuing with Henze's symphonies, the 1st for chamber orchestra was really compelling:

Hans Werner Henze
Symphony No.2

Marek Janowski & Rundfunk-Sinfonieorchester Berlin

My own traversal of Henze's symphonies last year was a huge pleasure. Hope you enjoy as much as I did!
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy