On-line Stores & Sellers

Started by Expresso, July 02, 2007, 09:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

My Amazon MP sellers of choice:

For brand new recordings -

Classical Music Superstore - excellent service all-around, my go-to seller for Chandos, BIS, Naxos, Capriccio, Erato, Warner Classics, EMI, etc.

Import CDs - their shipping speeds have continued to get better and they offer very competitive prices sometimes rivaling or even beating those of Classical Music Superstore's

For used recordings -

Orpheus Classics
Second Story Books
Morning Glory Online
Newbury Comics

Mirror Image

I have used Presto Classical and Arkivmusic on several occasions. Not too bad, although I did have an issue with Presto, but they handled the problem like professionals and rectified the problem with minimal back-and-forth.

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 28, 2014, 08:02:22 PM

Classical Music Superstore - excellent service all-around, my go-to seller for Chandos, BIS, Naxos, Capriccio, Erato, Warner Classics, EMI, etc.

Import CDs - their shipping speeds have continued to get better and they offer very competitive prices sometimes rivaling or even beating those of Classical Music Superstore's

For used recordings -

Orpheus Classics
Second Story Books
Morning Glory Online
Newbury Comics
I recall using all these except morning glory, and all were great. Bargain bookstores is also very good for used.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ken B on March 28, 2014, 08:11:42 PM
I recall using all these except morning glory, and all were great. Bargain bookstores is also very good for used.

Yes, I've used Bargain Bookstores several times, but they have quite a limited stock. But their prices are ridiculously cheap.

Moonfish

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on March 28, 2014, 07:54:06 PM
I've found Mediamars to tbe slowest US vendor I've used.  It can take a couple of days for the item to be shipped, and often they seem to use the slowest alternative among mail options.   So, like Zoverstocks, I use them only when the price difference is substantial enough to make the delay worthwhile.  (That said,  I've got one CD each just ordered and shipped from Mediamars and Zoverstocks.)

Yes, I agree. MediaMars is definitely one of the slower US vendors. Although, they tend to beat Zoverstocks with a week or so..... Still...

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 28, 2014, 08:02:22 PM

For used recordings -

Orpheus Classics
Second Story Books
Morning Glory Online
Newbury Comics

CMS is my fav as well. I always go with them if available. However, I avoid ImportCD since I live in Calif. (taxes!!!!).   :'( :'(
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Ken B

Quote from: Moonfish on March 29, 2014, 10:13:05 AM
Yes, I agree. MediaMars is definitely one of the slower US vendors. Although, they tend to beat Zoverstocks with a week or so..... Still...

I just lucked out with them. I ordered their last deeply discounted copy of a box and they sent the wrong box. But no longer stock the one I ordered and I like what came better than what I ordered.

Moonfish

Quote from: Ken B on March 29, 2014, 10:40:56 AM
I just lucked out with them. I ordered their last deeply discounted copy of a box and they sent the wrong box. But no longer stock the one I ordered and I like what came better than what I ordered.

That is funny!  Serendipity, eh?   ;D
Anna Lappé

Todd

I don't know if this has already been covered yet or not, but in the last couple months, when attempting to order from the marketplace of both Amazon UK and Amazon Germany, I received messages that the items I selected could not be shipped to the US.  This happened with CDs and some other items.  Until recently, I never had this issue, though I rarely ordered from foreign marketplace sellers.  It may just be tied to increases in shipping, but it's kind of a bummer.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Todd on April 15, 2014, 07:15:07 AM
I don't know if this has already been covered yet or not, but in the last couple months, when attempting to order from the marketplace of both Amazon UK and Amazon Germany, I received messages that the items I selected could not be shipped to the US.  This happened with CDs and some other items.  Until recently, I never had this issue, though I rarely ordered from foreign marketplace sellers.  It may just be tied to increases in shipping, but it's kind of a bummer.
Some sellers do not send anything abroad. It has always been like this, but since you didn't make many such purchases, you might have gotten lucky and selected those that did in the past. It sometimes is a major bummer, because the prices can be quite good.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Todd

I guess I have been lucky, because in probably 5-6 years, it never happened, though in that time I made only 8-10 such purchases. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Moonfish

Quote from: mc ukrneal on April 15, 2014, 07:17:52 AM
Some sellers do not send anything abroad. It has always been like this, but since you didn't make many such purchases, you might have gotten lucky and selected those that did in the past. It sometimes is a major bummer, because the prices can be quite good.

Yep, that is my experience as well!
Anna Lappé

kishnevi

As of May 1,  Amazon will start to charge sales tax in Florida.  Apparently, this is due to the fact that it's opening up some physical facilities in the state.

Daverz

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on April 17, 2014, 06:11:07 PM
As of May 1,  Amazon will start to charge sales tax in Florida.  Apparently, this is due to the fact that it's opening up some physical facilities in the state.

Stand your ground!

The new erato

It means that their suppliers are supposed to stock this and ususally despatches within that period.

Ken B

Oddbanana on eBay USA is offering The Real Chopin box at a very low price. This is a bogus listing, they only send one CD.

janie500

Can anyone tell me where I could find a copy (CD or DVD) of the Can Can Symphony by Offenbach, which is also called, or part of his Orpheus (or Orpheus of the Underworld) Symphony BUT ONLY THE VERSION PERFORMED BY THE ACADEMY OF ST. MARTINS OF THE FIELD orchestra?

It is a beautiful symphony with many peasants overtures and then the Can Can (dance number you have no doubt heard) is the finale.

I have listened to versions by other orchestras and they are not the same.  The last movements (peasants overtures) of the St. Martins orchestra will send you to the sky.  I only heard it once on the radio and it was announced that orchestra.

Thanks so much for any leads or suggestions.

Joanna

stingo

Is that the Gaîté Parisienne?

Ken B

I ordered a box set from BaySide Books an Amazon MP vendor.
They sent one totally different CD. They say a refund is not available and the item I ordered is out of stock.
So I will have to complain to Amazon.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Ken B on June 07, 2014, 08:29:35 AM
I ordered a box set from BaySide Books an Amazon MP vendor.
They sent one totally different CD. They say a refund is not available and the item I ordered is out of stock.
So I will have to complain to Amazon.
Absolutely! I have never had someone refuse to refund when they sent a different item! Crazy.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!