On-line Stores & Sellers

Started by Expresso, July 02, 2007, 09:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

listener

Quote from: Ken B on June 07, 2014, 08:29:35 AM
I ordered a box set from BaySide Books an Amazon MP vendor.
They sent one totally different CD. They say a refund is not available and the item I ordered is out of stock.
So I will have to complain to Amazon.
And do the customer feedback link with a zero rating and comment so others will know.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

NJ Joe

Quote from: Ken B on June 07, 2014, 08:29:35 AM
I ordered a box set from BaySide Books an Amazon MP vendor.
They sent one totally different CD. They say a refund is not available and the item I ordered is out of stock.
So I will have to complain to Amazon.

That is utterly ridiculous.  I've been in that situation as well, though not with that seller.  I was able to return the item and get a refund, no questions asked.  Def complain to Amazon. If you're not getting anywhere, post a loud and clear review about your experience.
"Music can inspire love, religious ecstasy, cathartic release, social bonding, and a glimpse of another dimension. A sense that there is another time, another space and another, better universe."
-David Byrne

Ken B

Quote from: mc ukrneal on June 07, 2014, 08:32:40 AM
Absolutely! I have never had someone refuse to refund when they sent a different item! Crazy.
Ain't it? I left the lowest rating and the comment
"sent wrong item won't replace won't refund. Worst vendor I have dealt with."
And arranged a refund from Amazon.

king ubu

Never had much luck when trying to get refunds from marketplace vendors - always going through amazon in the end. The worst is, they still often don't refund the shipping costs, only the cost of the item. Amazon itself got worse and worse over here though, they obviously outsourced customer service to India and I wrote some mails lately where from the answers it was clear they didn't understand a single word of what I wrote. Mind me, when ordering from amazon.de I'd not even think of NOT writing in German ... but when I then wrote in English, explaining things very clearly and in simple words, suddenly I got real answers again ... it's getting ridiculous, but it's all politics, capitalism, shareholder revenue, maximising of profit and all that sh*t ... actually I hate myself for supporting all of this, but the surviving local stores are themselves to blame, they often ask fantasy prices and what they have on display isn't really making me want to shop there ... however, I try and order as much from venors like prestoclassical, JPC or discplus, which to me seem much less "evil"  ;)
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

amw

If I made $5000+ a month and thus could afford it I'd buy all my CDs at the local brick-and-mortar shop; the people are friendly, they'll order things I want and you always know what you're getting. Plus, principle. However, since I'm poor I'm limited to cheap marketplace vendors (usually in "Used - Very Good" condition), 1 or 2 full-price CDs a month, and pirating whatever I can't find/the library doesn't want to order. >.>

king ubu

Oh, I'm not blaming anybody! It's just that "brick and mortar" shops in my town have mostly closed store already and the lone large one to remain is the least inviting there was - the good ones have long been gone. I buy nearly all of my books at a local shop that's paradise to me - I don't even check online prices, since I just love that shop so much, it would be plain wrong to buy anywhere else  :)

I'd actually love to have a good local shop, I'd certainly not ming paying 20% more there, but as it it, it can be anything from 20% to 200% more, as a rule of thumb I'd say 100% (but the Richter ICON is selling for something like 200$ - dig that!) and that, paired with not-so-great selection and not-so-nice atmosphere mostly rules it out.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

amw

With international shipping rates, the in-store prices are not too far off from what I'd pay for a full price CD or double on Amazon—it's going to be somewhere in the $30-to-50 range either way. Haven't looked at box sets (not really my scene) but I doubt there are any mega-bargains. However online it's easier to find things that cost $10 or $15 w/shipping, if one's willing to wait the 3 or 4 weeks. (The cheapest CD I've ever bought in kiwiland came out to about $9, from Amazon UK at a 1p list price.) So that's what I do more often.

EigenUser

Quote from: amw on June 08, 2014, 01:13:58 AM
If I made $5000+ a month and thus could afford it I'd buy all my CDs at the local brick-and-mortar shop; the people are friendly, they'll order things I want and you always know what you're getting. Plus, principle. However, since I'm poor I'm limited to cheap marketplace vendors (usually in "Used - Very Good" condition), 1 or 2 full-price CDs a month, and pirating whatever I can't find/the library doesn't want to order. >.>
*whispers* interlibrary loan 8)

You can thank me later.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

amw

Quote from: EigenUser on June 08, 2014, 03:35:57 AM
*whispers* interlibrary loan 8)

Abused already—I think all of the libraries in New Zealand (and some of the ones in Australia) know me by name by now. "More Ferneyhough, Juilliard Quartet and... who the hell is Tarnopolski? It's amw again, isn't it?"

EigenUser

Quote from: amw on June 08, 2014, 03:41:00 AM
Abused already—I think all of the libraries in New Zealand (and some of the ones in Australia) know me by name by now. "More Ferneyhough, Juilliard Quartet and... who the hell is Tarnopolski? It's amw again, isn't it?"
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
That's hilarious.

I studied engineering in college, yet not one (of my many) ILL orders had anything related to engineering or math -- it was all music (scores).

I have ordered some pretty cool stuff from there, though. I got this Ligeti folder with some reprints of manuscripts a few months ago. The bottom corner of each page had his signature in pencil! Then, I saw this picture later. I guess he signed each one!
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

North Star

Quote from: amw on June 08, 2014, 03:41:00 AM
You think the librarians know who Ferneyhough is?
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

amw

Quote from: North Star on June 08, 2014, 03:53:10 AM
You think the librarians know who Ferneyhough is?

They've hunted down 3 or 4 CDs of his for me already, so I'd certainly hope so....

king ubu

Ha ha!

The only useful library I'd know of here, alas, wouldn't let you borrow anything - they only allow you to listen there.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Ken B

Quote from: EigenUser on June 08, 2014, 03:52:47 AM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
That's hilarious.

I studied engineering in college, yet not one (of my many) ILL orders had anything related to engineering or math -- it was all music (scores).

I have ordered some pretty cool stuff from there, though. I got this Ligeti folder with some reprints of manuscripts a few months ago. The bottom corner of each page had his signature in pencil! Then, I saw this picture later. I guess he signed each one!

Oh crap. I thought that was just some idiot at work so I erased them.

Ken B

Quote from: Ken B on May 28, 2014, 06:15:10 PM
Oddbanana on eBay USA is offering The Real Chopin box at a very low price. This is a bogus listing, they only send one CD.
They have relisted this. It is a fake.

Que

Quote from: Ken B on July 01, 2014, 01:06:54 PM
They have relisted this. It is a fake.

This all stems from the mistake US Amazon made by listing the ASIN nr of the songs disc from that series as the whole box set. Something this has still not been corrected.... To make sure what you order, check the ASIN nr at other Amazons before ordering...

Q

Steebo

Not sure if it has been mentioned but I always use Presto Classical,good price and service plus a very useful database,cheers.

Daverz

Quote from: Steebo on September 04, 2014, 12:23:51 PM
Not sure if it has been mentioned but I always use Presto Classical,good price and service plus a very useful database,cheers.

I really like their download service.  It's typically $12 for 16-bit FLAC.

Abuelo Igor

I used to order a lot from Play.com, but I had a very bitter experience last summer. They listed "The All-Baroque Box" on their marketplace, PlayTrade, at the incredible price of €30. I ordered it from one of the sellers, MovieMars, and this is what I received:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mozart-Violin-Concertos-Decca-Collectors/dp/B008CYV02I/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1412378113&sr=1-3&keywords=mozart+violin+wind+concertos

I returned it at my own expense (which was only partially refunded in the end) and I was promised a replacement, which, on reception, didn't correspond at all to the bulk a 50-CD set should have and looked, without even opening the package, like a twin of the Mozart set. I refused it, eventually got a refund of my money, more than two months after my original order, and tried it again with another seller, AllYourMusic. Yet again I received a slim package, returned it, and got a refund quite quickly.

By now I'm extremely reluctant to try it again with other sellers, since apparently it's Play.com's fault and I will probably receive the Mozart concertos set no matter who I order "All-Baroque" from. What really angers me is that, as of today, AllYourMusic lists the set at €32.47:

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/33414024/The-All-Baroque-Box/Product.html?searchstring=50cd&searchsource=0&searchtype=musicall&urlrefer=search&strefer=musicall&searchfilters=s%7b50cd%7d%2bc%7b34%7d%2b

I cannot believe I've been the only one to be enthusiastic and then bitterly disappointed about this bargain, but, apparently, it's a mistake that won't get corrected.
L'enfant, c'est moi.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Abuelo Igor on October 03, 2014, 03:29:11 PM
I used to order a lot from Play.com, but I had a very bitter experience last summer. They listed "The All-Baroque Box" on their marketplace, PlayTrade, at the incredible price of €30. I ordered it from one of the seller, MovieMars, and this is what I received:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mozart-Violin-Concertos-Decca-Collectors/dp/B008CYV02I/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1412378113&sr=1-3&keywords=mozart+violin+wind+concertos

I returned it at my own expense (which was only partially refunded in the end) and I was promised a replacement, which, on reception, didn't correspond at all to the bulk a 50-CD set should have and looked, without even opening the package, like a twin of the Mozart set. I refused it, eventually got a refund of my money, more than two months after my original order, and tried it again with another seller, AllYourMusic. Yet again I received a slim package, returned it, and got a refund quite quickly.

By now i'm extremely reluctant to try it again with other sellers, since apparently it's Play.com's fault and will probably receive the Mozart concertos set no matter who I order "All-Baroque" from. What really angers me is that, as of today, AllYourMusic lists the set at €32.47:

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/33414024/The-All-Baroque-Box/Product.html?searchstring=50cd&searchsource=0&searchtype=musicall&urlrefer=search&strefer=musicall&searchfilters=s%7b50cd%7d%2bc%7b34%7d%2b

I cannot believe I've been the only one to be enthusiastic and then bitterly disappointed about this bargain, but, apparently, it's a mistake that won't get corrected.

I'm sure that by now you have realized this is a UPC number error which some fat-fingered clerk caused by entering data incorrectly, and it will never be fixed. I have actually written to some vendors on the US AMP, and asked them to look at their product and see if it is what they are advertising it to be. In most cases when they have done so, they realize it is incorrect and thus save me and themselves more headaches. I wouldn't say this is common, it has happened to me perhaps 4 times in 14 years of buying from Amazon, but it has never been resolved correctly a single time. Apparently, once it is entered incorrectly, this is forever!  -\

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)