On-line Stores & Sellers

Started by Expresso, July 02, 2007, 09:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artem

For those in Europe, what's your preferred option for online purchases? Presto vs. JPC vs. Europadisk?

I only have experience with Presto, but haven't ordered from them in the past 4 years or so. Do they now charge too high for shipping?

71 dB

Quote from: Artem on December 16, 2020, 12:36:42 PM
For those in Europe, what's your preferred option for online purchases? Presto vs. JPC vs. Europadisk?

I only have experience with Presto, but haven't ordered from them in the past 4 years or so. Do they now charge too high for shipping?

Mostly I have used Amazon.co.uk Marketplace for cheap used CDs. Sometimes I make a larger order on JPC (flat shipping rate). I have never used Presto or Europadick. In the past I did do a few order on MDT (good BIS deals).
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Madiel

I've just been looking at this. I think everyone's shipping charges have gone up probably and I don't think Presto is worse than the other 2. It depends a lot on what you're buying and how much.

Presto and JPC have the same shipping calculation method (for most countries anyway) with a 'flagfall' and then by weight. Again it will depend a little on country, but it looks as if Presto has a lower flagfall but a higher rate per kilogram. So, if all other things are equal, you might find small orders have cheaper shipping at Presto, and larger orders have cheaper shipping at JPC.

Europadisc has an entirely different method based on cost per CD (with the first CD effectively having the cost of 2). For me, it worked out that this tended to be a little more expensive than Presto, but the margin wasn't huge and the effect was different depending on whether I was adding single CDs to the cart or multi-CD sets (and Europadisc changes the rules again for larger box sets, but the definition of 'large' varies depending on which country you're shipping to).

In the end I was finding that it was the price of the actual products that tended to have the bigger effect, and shipping only tilted the balance when the prices were reasonably close anyway.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

MusicTurner

Jpc is definitely cheaper as regards postage for me in Denmark, than Presto. An order of 5 box sets including the complete 172 CD Bach Rilling box would still be their flat postage rate of less than 6 Euros, I never paid more. A comparable package would be around at least 28 Euros in postage from Presto, the price going up per item, I just checked again.

The Brexit deal seems to continue customless prices, but increased paperwork etc. might mean some rise in selling prices later, from the UK.

Madiel

Quote from: MusicTurner on December 26, 2020, 05:49:23 PM
Jpc is definitely cheaper as regards postage for me in Denmark, than Presto. An order of 5 box sets including the complete 172 CD Bach Rilling box would still be their flat postage rate of less than 6 Euros, I never paid more. A comparable package would be around at least 28 Euros in postage from Presto, the price going up per item, I just checked again.

The Brexit deal seems to continue customless prices, but increased paperwork etc. might mean some rise in selling prices later, from the UK.

I can't find Denmark on the list of countries (as it's in German). Are you one of the countries where it ISN'T based on weight?

EDIT: Ah, I did just find it. Yes. Lucky you.

SECOND EDIT: It really doesn't have anything to do with Brexit. It's the realities of shipping being far more difficult this year for longer distances. You absolutely have to weigh up what works best for you based on where you are. For example, all the JPC prices are actually cheaper for me because tax is removed. But German shipping is typically expensive.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

MusicTurner

My point about Brexit was about the future.

Que

Quote from: MusicTurner on December 26, 2020, 06:44:30 PM
My point about Brexit was about the future.

No import duties because thanks to the Brexit,  indeed! :)
And I don't think in general clearing procedures would apply to small parcels.

But I'm wondering whether we ordering from tbe EU still would have to pay VAT,  or than we can shop tax free like new erato from Norway? I would think so.

Q

Harry

Quote from: Que on December 27, 2020, 01:33:10 AM
No import duties because thanks to the Brexit,  indeed! :)
And I don't think in general clearing procedures would apply to small parcels.

But I'm wondering whether we ordering from tbe EU still would have to pay VAT,  or than we can shop tax free like new erato from Norway? I would think so.

Q

As it looks now we have to pay VAT, so no tax free shopping. The threshold is 22 euros I think. And it may be checked by Dutch customs.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Madiel

Now doesn't matter because the UK hasn't left the EU trade zone yet.

Brass Hole

Aren't you set for downloading and listening through a computer setup or burning yet? Presto got crazy since the pandemic. I read about them bragging how they increased their sales in 2020, but what they do not mention is what they did to the prices. For instance, you can download this whole basket which I very quickly created as a sample for a total of €10 with no VAT, packaging or waiting whatsoever in CD format. There are many top quality albums for between €0.80-2.05... Most of their booklets are available digitally, etc., etc.

MusicTurner

Quote from: Brass Hole on December 27, 2020, 02:32:31 AM
Aren't you set for downloading and listening through a computer setup or burning yet? Presto got crazy since the pandemic. I read about them bragging how they increased their sales in 2020, but what they do not mention is what they did to the prices. For instance, you can download this whole basket which I very quickly created as a sample for a total of €10 with no VAT, packaging or waiting whatsoever in CD format. There are many top quality albums for between €0.80-2.05... Most of their booklets are available digitally, etc., etc.

Downloading prices are different from region to region ... for Denmark, the Budapest Mozart set is around 12 Euros alone, from Presto. Same goes for the Perahia Mozart/Beethoven album, which is 10-15 Euros here, depending on which release exactly.

Brass Hole

Quote from: MusicTurner on December 27, 2020, 02:38:45 AM
Downloading prices are different from region to region ... for Denmark, the Budapest Mozart set is around 12 Euros alone, from Presto. Same goes for the Perahia Mozart/Beethoven album, which is 15 Euros here.
Could you check and confirm this one?

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8046683--mozart-the-6-haydn-quartets-the-6-string-quintets

MusicTurner

Yes, I just did ... DKK 93 or around 12 Euros for MP3,
DKK 121 for FLAC.

Madiel

And for me, it's A$25 for the download - approximately 15.5 Euros.

$32.50 for FLAC (just over 20 Euros).

It's safe to say:

1. We really cannot assume that whatever works best for us in our location will work best for others.
2. We can't assume that, when the UK is involved, this week is the same as next week. From what I've been reading the VAT rules are all changing regardless of recent deals... and then there's the whole Northern Ireland thing if that location is involved.

Brass Hole

Quote from: MusicTurner on December 27, 2020, 02:47:52 AM
Yes, I just did ... DKK 93 or around 12 Euros for MP3,
DKK 121 for FLAC.

Strange:

MusicTurner

I don't quite know how this happens. I'm a registered customer at Presto & those prices pop up on my account incl. the same Danish flag, when I search and/or put items into my basket ... obviously I'm at home now.

Brass Hole

Quote from: MusicTurner on December 27, 2020, 02:53:15 AM
I don't quite know how this happens. I'm a registered customer at Presto & those prices pop up on my account incl. the same Danish flag, when I search and/or put items into my basket ...

I'll sort this directly with them tomorrow Tuesday, they are closed on Monday, and let you know.

MusicTurner

It's well-known that there can be huge differences in downloading prices between say the US and Europe, such as via Amazon, or a local seller's items domestically, and those abroad ... apparently it can be more complicated/differentiated too, then.

Madiel

Quote from: Brass Hole on December 27, 2020, 03:04:33 AM
I'm specifically talking about Presto with experience but maybe I miss something they do for me...and I might be aware of who's doing what as I buy over 1200 recordings per year from different vendors shipped to different countries.

Maybe you're getting a bulk discount after the first X purchases per year, then.

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter