On-line Stores & Sellers

Started by Expresso, July 02, 2007, 09:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brass Hole

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 27, 2020, 03:35:02 AM
Interesting, for me (in USD) it's 30 or 40 dollars.

PD

Then it's safe to assume that it should be IP-based and maybe something related to the account. I wonder if it's possible to spoof considering they are able to ignore for my account  :)

Que

Quote from: Que on December 27, 2020, 01:33:10 AM
No import duties because thanks to the Brexit,  indeed! :)
And I don't think in general clearing procedures would apply to small parcels.

But I'm wondering whether we ordering from tbe EU still would have to pay VAT,  or than we can shop tax free like new erato from Norway? I would think so.

Q

Yep, no VAT... I'm actually starting to like Brexit..  ;)

VAT and Online Shopping in the UK After Brexit

Of course, like orders from other 3rd countries like the US, there will be a threshold above which the Dutch customs will step in to slap me with domestic VAT + duties...

Q

Artem

So, there is no point now in ordering to Europe from the UK, because of customs tax?  :'(

Madiel

Quote from: Artem on December 27, 2020, 01:54:11 PM
So, there is no point now in ordering to Europe from the UK, because of customs tax?  :'(

If there's any customs tax it will just be replacing the VAT you've been paying for years.

I don't know the relative amounts of tax, but seriously, you've been paying tax for years and you probably just haven't noticed. Internal EU tax. Which won't apply any more. If customs tax is less then prices will go down, not up.

I get this sort of situation all the time. Sites in the UK and Germany give me a lower price than the advertised price because being outside of Europe, I don't pay their taxes (Presto is set up to do this on every page, JPC doesn't do it until checkout). But I might have to pay Australian taxes (and of course higher shipping given the distance). On the tax front I think I win because Oz taxes are lower. 
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Que

Anouncement on the Presto Music site:

Brexit, VAT and shipments to the European Union from January 1st 2021
by Chris O'Reilly

Overview
From 1st January 2021, with the UK no longer part of the European Union, our sales to customers in EU countries will be treated as exports and we will no longer collect VAT (sales taxes) on your behalf. Prices for CDs, DVDs, Blu-rays, Instruments and accessories displayed on the site will be proportionately lower to reflect this (Note - Sheet Music and Books are zero rated in the UK already, so prices on these products will not change).

Orders under €22 in value
If your order is under €22 in value (Including postage), and sent in the post you should receive it VAT free, ie. without having to pay any additional costs.

Orders above €22 in value
If your order is above €22 in value (including postage), you will be liable for import VAT at the time of delivery via the postal/courier service in your country (probably along with a one off clearance fee). The amount of the VAT payable will depend on how the items are classed for VAT in your country. The clearance fee rate will be set by the postal/courier company.

The exact implementation of this is likely to vary across different postal services, and there may be some grace period for orders from the UK over the initial weeks and months in some countries, especially for items in transit on 1st January 2021.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/articles/3710--announcement-brexit-vat-and-shipments-to-the-european-union-from-january-1st-2021

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Que on January 01, 2021, 01:02:34 AM
Anouncement on the Presto Music site:

Brexit, VAT and shipments to the European Union from January 1st 2021
by Chris O'Reilly

Overview
From 1st January 2021, with the UK no longer part of the European Union, our sales to customers in EU countries will be treated as exports and we will no longer collect VAT (sales taxes) on your behalf. Prices for CDs, DVDs, Blu-rays, Instruments and accessories displayed on the site will be proportionately lower to reflect this (Note - Sheet Music and Books are zero rated in the UK already, so prices on these products will not change).

Orders under €22 in value
If your order is under €22 in value (Including postage), and sent in the post you should receive it VAT free, ie. without having to pay any additional costs.

Orders above €22 in value
If your order is above €22 in value (including postage), you will be liable for import VAT at the time of delivery via the postal/courier service in your country (probably along with a one off clearance fee). The amount of the VAT payable will depend on how the items are classed for VAT in your country. The clearance fee rate will be set by the postal/courier company.

The exact implementation of this is likely to vary across different postal services, and there may be some grace period for orders from the UK over the initial weeks and months in some countries, especially for items in transit on 1st January 2021.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/articles/3710--announcement-brexit-vat-and-shipments-to-the-european-union-from-january-1st-2021
Interesting to see how this plays out.  Would you receive a notice that there's a parcel for you at the post office (or have to go to, for example, a DHL location) to pay for and pick up your package(s)?  That would be a pain.  I'm used to having my packages delivered to my front door.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Harry

Well I knew this would happen, even in Europe, so the ordering from Presto or Amazon UK, will be avoided by me as much as possible. All have to stay under 22 euros, but customs can still tear it up, to ascertain whats in it. Another point is that Amazon Netherlands is stocking up their collection with items normally sold in the UK for European customers. Lets hope all the goodies will come in, Films and classical music, the rest is of no consequence to me.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Que

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 01, 2021, 04:28:22 AM
Interesting to see how this plays out.  Would you receive a notice that there's a parcel for you at the post office (or have to go to, for example, a DHL location) to pay for and pick up your package(s)?  That would be a pain.  I'm used to having my packages delivered to my front door.

PD

Depends where you live.

For he Netherlands, and I presume for the rest of the EU, a package will have to be accompanied with a declaration of contence and value. Dutch customs can and will open any package to check, as Harry points out. If the value is over the threshold, they will attach a letter charging import duties and - and there is the catch - a flat handling fee.
Unfortunately they are quite rigorous and effecient - the chances of something flying under the radar is pretty slim.
This seems to be different in other countries.

Q

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Que on January 01, 2021, 06:34:57 AM
Depends where you live.

For he Netherlands, and I presume for the rest of the EU, a package will have to be accompanied with a declaration of contence and value. Dutch customs can and will open any package to check, as Harry points out. If the value is over the threshold, they will attach a letter charging import duties and - and there is the catch - a flat handling fee.
Unfortunately they are quite rigorous and effecient - the chances of something flying under the radar is pretty slim.
This seems to be different in other countries.

Q
What is the flat handling fee like?  Here, and mind you it's been a while since I've ordered something from overseas, I've never had a package opened nor been charged any customs duties (I do/did try and be very careful about value limits as to what I ordered).  Also, I would have thought that in the Netherlands, they would go by the value stated on the customs slip--at least if it looked like it was coming from an established business (with things like printed address stickers and customs slips) and/or could quickly google the name of the business?  Legit businesses won't muck around with altering customs amounts (and often even say that on their websites).

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Que

QuoteAlso, I would have thought that in the Netherlands, they would go by the value stated on the customs slip--at least if it looked like it was coming from an established business (with things like printed address stickers and customs slips) and/or could quickly google the name of the business?  Legit businesses won't muck around with altering customs amounts (and often even say that on their websites).

Yes, this is definitely the case. But when in doubt they'll open it, happened to me once.

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 01, 2021, 08:43:36 AM
What is the flat handling fee like?  Here, and mind you it's been a while since I've ordered something from overseas, I've never had a package opened nor been charged any customs duties (I do/did try and be very careful about value limits as to what I ordered).

I made a few mistakes in the past, and now make absolutely sure not to go over the limit. :)
The handling fee alone is €13.  So if you go just over the value limit,  you're sc%wed... :P

Q

The new erato

In Norway they are trying to implement a system where businesses that wants to be a part of the scheme collects VAT according to Norwegian rates so that we can collect the packages directly (in our mailboxes) without forther payments. Until then the former system with no VAT up to around 31 Euro is in operation, over that you have to pay Norwegian VAT and a processing charge (varies withe the carriers used by the dispatching shop).

With some you collect and pay at the local post office (which you have to do any way if the packeage is reasonably large), with others you get them delivered at the door and a bill sent after delivery.

There's a reason I usually only order small parcels, with the occasional megaorder of boxes too large to passunder the 31 Euro limit. Currently the Heidsieck box and Brahms' complete songs on cpo are ordered from europadisc for such shipment.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Que on January 01, 2021, 08:55:51 AM
Yes, this is definitely the case. But when in doubt they'll open it, happened to me once.

I made a few mistakes in the past, and now make absolutely sure not to go over the limit. :)
The handling fee alone is €13.  So if you go just over the value limit,  you're sc%wed... :P

Q
When opened, were they careful not to damage anything and close the package up again properly?  And did you end up owing them anything?

Thirteen euros?!  Wow!  Expensive! And you have to pay the handling fee regardless of the value amount of the package?   ???

PD
Quote from: The new erato on January 01, 2021, 08:56:50 AM
In Norway they are trying to implement a system where businesses that wants to be a part of the scheme collects VAT according to Norwegian rates so that we can collect the packages directly (in our mailboxes) without forther payments. Until then the former system with no VAT up to around 31 Euro is in operation, over that you have to pay Norwegian VAT and a processing charge (varies withe the carriers used by the dispatching shop).

With some you collect and pay at the local post office (which you have to do any way if the packeage is reasonably large), with others you get them delivered at the door and a bill sent after delivery.

There's a reason I usually only order small parcels, with the occasional megaorder of boxes too large to passunder the 31 Euro limit. Currently the Heidsieck box and Brahms' complete songs on cpo are ordered from europadisc for such shipment.
Interesting, thanks for the info New Erato.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Que

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 01, 2021, 01:08:16 PM
When opened, were they careful not to damage anything and close the package up again properly?  And did you end up owing them anything?

They seem to be careful and I didn't have to pay any duties.
The biggest problem was the delay: the package dissappeared "of the radar" for nearly 2 weeks.

It seems that for me the window to order from the UK without hassle and added costs is pretty small.
The €22 limit value includes, according to the site of the Dutch Tax Services, all costs for transportation to the border of the EU and for insurance. So the item price excluding UK VAT, but including shipping...

Amazon had good foresight opening a Dutch Amazon... ::)

Q

Madiel

Quote from: Que on January 02, 2021, 01:03:07 AM

Well, good luck with that. The Australian one (especially while Amazon refused point blank to otherwise ship to Australia) had a significantly reduced catalogue and bad prices.

You might well fare better given that you're not so isolated.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Que on January 02, 2021, 01:03:07 AM
They seem to be careful and I didn't have to pay any duties.
The biggest problem was the delay: the package dissappeared "of the radar" for nearly 2 weeks.

It seems that for me the window to order from the UK without hassle and added costs is pretty small.
The €22 limit value includes, according to the site of the Dutch Tax Services, all costs for transportation to the border of the EU and for insurance. So the item price excluding UK VAT, but including shipping...

Q
...including shipping too!  That stinks!  Are Dutch citizens trying to change those rules?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Brass Hole

€22 limit is temporary for only 6 months.

PaulThomas

Presto have introduced their 'My Library' feature

Providing Presto have a digital version, all your previous purchases from Presto are now available to listen to via the website digitally at a maximum of high-resolution audio 24bit 192 kHz.

Watch out for Apps for mobile and desktop to come...

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/articles/3797--announcement-introducing-my-library

Brian

Quote from: PaulThomas on February 17, 2021, 06:02:15 AM
Presto have introduced their 'My Library' feature

Providing Presto have a digital version, all your previous purchases from Presto are now available to listen to via the website digitally at a maximum of high-resolution audio 24bit 192 kHz.

Watch out for Apps for mobile and desktop to come...

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/articles/3797--announcement-introducing-my-library
Whoa!! This is awesome. And because I've been such a good customer for so long I have 170 albums available.

PaulThomas

Thanks Brian!

Forgot to mention that any future physical purchases (again assuming we have the digital version) will be added to your library and able to be heard instantaneously...

Artem

Any tips on using jpc webshop from the experienced users? What's the best way to track their sales and marked down prices?