On-line Stores & Sellers

Started by Expresso, July 02, 2007, 09:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry Collier

I use MDT or Crotchet. Otherwise JPC or HMV Japan. All have been extremely reliable.

Greta

I have never ordered from Amazon.uk but finally made an account because I saw a couple of OOP CDs I wanted there for insanely cheap, but for either of the Marketplace sellers I tried, the order doesn't complete, it says they "don't ship to my destination".  :'(

Is there anyway around this, or can US not buy from UK Marketplace? It is maddening to see several OOP things there for so cheap (even with the exchange rate) that I have not seen anywhere else, but not be able to buy!

Mark

Quote from: Greta on July 16, 2007, 02:39:52 AM
I have never ordered from Amazon.uk but finally made an account because I saw a couple of OOP CDs I wanted there for insanely cheap, but for either of the Marketplace sellers I tried, the order doesn't complete, it says they "don't ship to my destination".  :'(

Is there anyway around this, or can US not buy from UK Marketplace? It is maddening to see several OOP things there for so cheap (even with the exchange rate) that I have not seen anywhere else, but not be able to buy!

Greta, just ask one of us kindly souls in the UK to buy stuff for you and ship it over. Then you reimburse us. :)

Que

Greta, it depends on the individual seller - some don't offer international shipping or shipping outside the EU. Some mention this in their item description - if they don't, you'll only find out when trying to order the item. If it's any consolation: same happens to me once in a while with US sellers that don't ship outside the US. :-\

Q

marvinbrown

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on July 15, 2007, 03:19:11 PM
I do most of my cd buying using the Amazon dealers especially Caiman. I find them to be excellent :)

Just wondering if there a high quality equivalent out there that I'm overlooking?

Somewhere with a huge catalogue, reliable shipping and maybe better prices that I could try?

Solitary Wanderer amazon.co.uk marketplace is where I usually go to buy music, especially opera.  My favorite is -importcds_com . They have never disappointed me.  I have had very good results with Caiman, they have never defaulted on an order- but then again I never buy used cds or opera dvds.  I have not found any other on-line store that can beat amazon marketplace.

marvin

Mark

In my experience Amazon Sellers are often THE cheapest way to get used CDs/DVDs. The only places I've found discs cheaper are at my local charity shops - specifically, a branch of Oxfam Music & Books, which as well as stocking many excellent used CDs also has a bedazzling array of rare/OOP LPs. A vinyl lover's dream ... though not to my taste.

71 dB

I use mostly Amazon.co.uk marketplace (low product & shipping prices). I use often Caiman and I haven't had problems with them yet. What's interesting about Caiman is that whenever I buy an "used" CD I get a new one with plastic wrapping. Nice! I have had problems with some smaller sellers (wrong items).

CDON.COM
Scandinavian online shop. Shipping is 2.95 euros for all orders but the service is very bad. If you think Caiman is bad try this store! You are very lucky to get everything you ordered. Fortunately they charge for only the items they are able to deliver so no need to be refunded. Somehow this store can offer something others can't (Swedish/Norwegian/Danish pop/rock etc.) so I keep using it.

JPC.DE
I have used this place only twice but with superb results. Shipping is always 5.99 euros to Finland (was 7.99 euros) so I have made bigger orders. Absolutely awesome service!
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Tancata

Quote from: 71 dB on July 16, 2007, 03:54:15 AM

JPC.DE
I have used this place only twice but with superb results. Shipping is always 5.99 euros to Finland (was 7.99 euros) so I have made bigger orders. Absolutely awesome service!

Most people seem to have great experiences with JPC. But I haven't. I have made three orders with them, and every time one of the items was damaged because of the flimsy packaging they use. I don't know how widespread this is - maybe it's just an issue with the famously care-free way the postal service handle packages here in Ireland  8), but maybe not.

Also, JPC prices are - in my experience - generally higher than elsewhere (Amazon, MDT). And shipping is very expensive for small orders...

Maciek

Quote from: Que on July 16, 2007, 01:37:34 AM
We keep getting threads on the same subject over and over again - maybe we should make this type of thread "sticky"?  ::)

Topic: on-line stores

Q

I've merged the two topics. And I am making this one sticky. Also, please note the link Que gave earlier to an even older discussion of this topic (on the old forum).

71 dB

Quote from: Tancata on July 16, 2007, 07:02:15 AM
Most people seem to have great experiences with JPC. But I haven't. I have made three orders with them, and every time one of the items was damaged because of the flimsy packaging they use. I don't know how widespread this is - maybe it's just an issue with the famously care-free way the postal service handle packages here in Ireland  8), but maybe not.

Interesting. My last order had excellent packaging. No change for damages.

Quote from: Tancata on July 16, 2007, 07:02:15 AMAlso, JPC prices are - in my experience - generally higher than elsewhere (Amazon, MDT). And shipping is very expensive for small orders...

Yes, jpc's full prices aren't competetive but they have lot's of cheap CDs (Bach organ music á 2 euros!). I buy those away. In my last order the average price was only 4 euros delivered!  :)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

tjguitar

Quote from: uffeviking on July 15, 2007, 07:58:06 PM
You sure are lucky to get good service from Caiman. They have one of the worst reputations on the used CD and DVD market! If I decide to go used, I always buy from Newbury_Comics; reliable and super fast. I am an amazonMarketplace seller, but I can't give you my seller name, that would be called 'Spam' and Rob would fire me from my highly paid job as moderator.  :'(

For Scandinavian specialties, Ondine has been my best friend. Airmail from Helsinki, five days after ordering is in my mailbox.

Of course for the regular shopping trips I always run up GMG, go to upper right corner where different flags are displayed, pick mine, the USA, give amazon my order and they send GMG a small amount of money. Nice of them!  0:)

Yes, NewburyComics (on amazon marketplace) is great, despite shipping all the way across the country from MA to CA, they come very quickly and they usually have good prices...the problem is they don't offer everything I'm looking for :( LOL.

premont

Quote from: Que on July 02, 2007, 09:48:18 AM
I found some real bargains lately, many of them OOP, at Swiss discPLUS. I guess only of interest to European members of the forum.

Well. I investigated this site, and found a lot of interesting CDs, and intended to pay by means of my Visa card, as indicated, but after I had filled in my name, card number et c. I was told, that I had to confirm my account electronically, and I can´t do this, as I haven´t got a net bank account, just a Visa card. This is most unusual. since all other net sites, I have dealt with, just ask for name, email, account number and controlnumber, all of which is written on the card.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Drasko

Quote from: Mark on July 16, 2007, 02:52:56 AM
Greta, just ask one of us kindly souls in the UK to buy stuff for you and ship it over. Then you reimburse us. :)

Greta, it's not even necessary that someone else buy the stuff for you. They won't ship to you but they'll take your money, you just need someone in the UK to address the order to and then he/she can forward it to you.
Trust me, I know, none of amazon marketplaces ships to me  :P

orbital

Even if you do not know someone to whom you can ask this favor, I am sure there are shipping centers in the UK (as there are in the US) which do mail forwarding (for an extra small fee I'm sure)

Harry

I always place my orders with JPC. DE.
Their collection is reasonable, there prices also, although not in the full price range, the shipping cost are high, even with the orders I place, I have to pay it, known as ausgleichende gerechtigkeit, don't know how to translate that. Never broken cd's, or wrong cd's, always in stock, given or take one or two. The boxes are flimsy though, and they go through rough handling, and for that they are clearly not adequately packed, that's for sure.
Never tryed Amazon, can't get the hang of it. If I have a problem with JPC, I just call, and in 10 seconds the problem is solved.

premont

Quote from: Harry on July 16, 2007, 09:42:34 AM
I always place my orders with JPC. DE.
Their collection is reasonable, there prices also, although not in the full price range, the shipping cost are high, even with the orders I place, I have to pay it, known as ausgleichende gerechtigkeit, don't know how to translate that. Never broken cd's, or wrong cd's, always in stock, given or take one or two. The boxes are flimsy though, and they go through rough handling, and for that they are clearly not adequately packed, that's for sure.
Never tryed Amazon, can't get the hang of it. If I have a problem with JPC, I just call, and in 10 seconds the problem is solved.

I can´t but agree with your words about JPC. They offer without any question the best service around. And I place as many of my orders, as I possibly can, at JPC. But they haven´t got everything, so sometimes it is necessary to order from other sites (may God forbid this).
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mark

Quote from: Drasko on July 16, 2007, 09:13:28 AM
Greta, it's not even necessary that someone else buy the stuff for you. They won't ship to you but they'll take your money, you just need someone in the UK to address the order to and then he/she can forward it to you.
Trust me, I know, none of amazon marketplaces ships to me  :P

Oh yeah. Good call. ;D

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: marvinbrown on July 16, 2007, 03:24:35 AM
  Solitary Wanderer amazon.co.uk marketplace is where I usually go to buy music, especially opera.  My favorite is -importcds_com . They have never disappointed me.  I have had very good results with Caiman, they have never defaulted on an order- but then again I never buy used cds or opera dvds.  I have not found any other on-line store that can beat amazon marketplace.

marvin

Yes, I've been dissappointed a few times with used cds >:( Problem is that one persons accessment of 'as new' or 'excellent condition' is very different to mine ::)

I only buy 'new' now except in rare situations ie:oop.

I've used Amazon.uk many times. :)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: Mark on July 16, 2007, 03:45:56 AM
In my experience Amazon Sellers are often THE cheapest way to get used CDs/DVDs. The only places I've found discs cheaper are at my local charity shops - specifically, a branch of Oxfam Music & Books, which as well as stocking many excellent used CDs also has a bedazzling array of rare/OOP LPs. A vinyl lover's dream ... though not to my taste.

Hey Mark, are the the Marketing Manager for these 'local charity shops' ;)

But seriously, we have these stores here as well but their range of classical cds is minuscule. Its cd range is more pop/rock and pretty worn looking too :(

'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: 71 dB on July 16, 2007, 03:54:15 AM
I use mostly Amazon.co.uk marketplace (low product & shipping prices). I use often Caiman and I haven't had problems with them yet. What's interesting about Caiman is that whenever I buy an "used" CD I get a new one with plastic wrapping. Nice! I have had problems with some smaller sellers (wrong items).

CDON.COM
Scandinavian online shop. Shipping is 2.95 euros for all orders but the service is very bad. If you think Caiman is bad try this store! You are very lucky to get everything you ordered. Fortunately they charge for only the items they are able to deliver so no need to be refunded. Somehow this store can offer something others can't (Swedish/Norwegian/Danish pop/rock etc.) so I keep using it.

JPC.DE

Yes, they list things as 'used' and you receive a brand new 'sealed' copy! I do expect that from them now :)