On-line Stores & Sellers

Started by Expresso, July 02, 2007, 09:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marvinbrown

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on July 16, 2007, 01:55:16 PM

Yes, I've been dissappointed a few times with used cds >:( Problem is that one persons accessment of 'as new' or 'excellent condition' is very different to mine ::)

I only buy 'new' now except in rare situations ie:oop.

I've used Amazon.uk many times. :)

While we are on the subject of used cds...have you ever noticed that often times on amazon marketplace the used cds are more expensive than the new??  What's that all about I wonder  ??? ?

marvin

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: marvinbrown on July 16, 2007, 02:06:27 PM
  While we are on the subject of used cds...have you ever noticed that often times on amazon marketplace the used cds are more expensive than the new??  What's that all about I wonder  ??? ?

marvin

What bugs me is that often used cds smell funny ??? :P Ever noticed they pong of perfume or something and you can't get rid of it :(
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

marvinbrown

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on July 16, 2007, 02:10:52 PM
What bugs me is that often used cds smell funny ??? :P Ever noticed they pong of perfume or something and you can't get rid of it :(

I don't know...as I mentioned before I never buy used cds or opera dvds.  That does sound odd by the way- perhaps they do spray them with something after all.

marvin

tjguitar

Send it back if it smells funny. Get a refund.

I haven't had that happen...I don't think.  Maybe my sense of smell is just not as good as yours.   ;D

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: tjguitar on July 16, 2007, 02:18:47 PM
Send it back if it smells funny. Get a refund.

I haven't had that happen...I don't think.  Maybe my sense of smell is just not as good as yours.   ;D

Yeah well, its more hassle to send it back and it is 'used' ::)

And yes I do have a heightened sense of smell :) but I've put the offending cds under my wifes nose and shes recoiled as well ;D

New cds is the way to go :)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

beclemund

Often, they smell funny because the paper and jewel case plastic can absorb the smells of the environment they are in. You can often determine quite easily if the former owner was a cat owner or cigar or cigarette smoker.  ;)

I am on the fence about 'used' CDs. I am always happy to find a good deal. For many CDs, I am willing to take a risk on if its available used for less than 50% of the full price cost. I will generally look for something that is listed in "like new" condition though. If I am exploring a new artist or composer, I am more likely to buy used (or download)... or if I am buying another interpretation of a Bruckner symphony where I already own anywhere from five to 12 other interpretations for each symphony.
"A guilty conscience needs to confess. A work of art is a confession." -- Albert Camus

Montpellier

Quote from: Greta on July 16, 2007, 02:39:52 AM
I have never ordered from Amazon.uk but finally made an account because I saw a couple of OOP CDs I wanted there for insanely cheap, but for either of the Marketplace sellers I tried, the order doesn't complete, it says they "don't ship to my destination".  :'(

Is there anyway around this, or can US not buy from UK Marketplace? It is maddening to see several OOP things there for so cheap (even with the exchange rate) that I have not seen anywhere else, but not be able to buy!

It's worth using the "contact the seller" facility - I've done this and they changed the destination so I could order.  The problem is worse with books bought cross-border.  For the non-pro-merchant seller, Amazon only allows the seller to be credited through Amazon payments which include a fixed postage credit - fine until you learn the real postage costs to some places.

Montpellier

Could be the music permeating the silvering...  . 

But ok, if I buy a used CD - forewarned.  I'll ask the seller to send an Yves St Laurent brand-scented one. 

Gurn Blanston

I buy used CDs all the time. I have bought hundreds of them and have yet to get screwed. I do try to get ones advertised as "Like New" when possible, but so much of the stuff I want is OOP or just plain rare that I haven't been too diligent about that. I'm just glad to find it at all. When I buy mainstream stuff, I usually get new though...

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Solitary Wanderer

An update on the missing cd from secondhandtunes.

They initiated a full refund with no questions asked.

I've re-ordered it from Caimen.

Don

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on July 29, 2007, 09:32:40 AM
I buy used CDs all the time. I have bought hundreds of them and have yet to get screwed. I do try to get ones advertised as "Like New" when possible, but so much of the stuff I want is OOP or just plain rare that I haven't been too diligent about that. I'm just glad to find it at all. When I buy mainstream stuff, I usually get new though...

8)

I have also always been satisfied with the used CDs I buy and none of them have had any particular odor.

Mark

Quote from: Don on August 02, 2007, 02:17:51 PM
I have also always been satisfied with the used CDs I buy and none of them have had any particular odor.

Only odorous CDs I own were bought from a charity shop. They obviously came from a smoker's household - the inlay cards are yellowing and reek of tobacco.

Don

Quote from: Mark on August 02, 2007, 02:45:45 PM
Only odorous CDs I own were bought from a charity shop. They obviously came from a smoker's household - the inlay cards are yellowing and reek of tobacco.

For me that would be a nostalgic aroma to luxuriate in.

Mark

Quote from: Don on August 02, 2007, 03:00:30 PM
For me that would be a nostalgic aroma to luxuriate in.

Thought as much. ;D

DavidW

The only times I had problems with ordering used cds, I was refunded every time. :)

Harry

Only order from JPC, and a local site in Holland, never have problems.
Secondhand outlets there are not, at least in my neighbourhood.
I would have nothing against acquiring secondhand cd's though.
Somehow I feel its against my nature to get into the Amazon sites, far to complicated, to many offering, and not knowing whom to choose, nah, stay with the trusted ones.

DavidW

Quote from: Harry on September 12, 2007, 02:46:39 AM
Only order from JPC, and a local site in Holland, never have problems.
Secondhand outlets there are not, at least in my neighbourhood.
I would have nothing against acquiring secondhand cd's though.
Somehow I feel its against my nature to get into the Amazon sites, far to complicated, to many offering, and not knowing whom to choose, nah, stay with the trusted ones.

JPC is like what the most affordable store ever though?  So you probably never want to order secondhand right? :)

Harry

Quote from: DavidW on September 12, 2007, 02:56:00 AM
JPC is like what the most affordable store ever though?  So you probably never want to order secondhand right? :)

Sort of, yes! :)