On-line Stores & Sellers

Started by Expresso, July 02, 2007, 09:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on May 15, 2012, 06:56:54 PM
I suppose I should add (if it already isn't clear) that I don't like deferred gratification.  My mother always tried to pull that trick on me when I was a kid, and it never worked.  I want my _________________ NOW!
When I get several packages at once, I will sometimes leave some of them unopened for a few days to spread the enjoyment around.  As long as the cds find their way to me, I don't care how long they take to get to me (unless they are a present). I think I am not exactly the norm.... :o ;)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

The new erato

Quote from: mc ukrneal on May 15, 2012, 11:54:12 PM
When I get several packages at once, I will sometimes leave some of them unopened for a few days to spread the enjoyment around.  As long as the cds find their way to me, I don't care how long they take to get to me (unless they are a present). I think I am not exactly the norm.... :o ;)
You're not alone. I couldn't care less about delivery times, Ich habe genug.

eyeresist

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on May 15, 2012, 06:56:54 PMI suppose I should add (if it already isn't clear) that I don't like deferred gratification.  My mother always tried to pull that trick on me when I was a kid, and it never worked.  I want my _________________ NOW!

Perhaps if you filled in the blank you'd get it sooner?

;)

Elgarian

More about Zoverstocks:

On the credit side, as soon as I notified them of the CD's non-arrival they refunded my money. But still, inconvenience and a waste of time on two out of three orders, and a misleading quality description on the third, doesn't constitute a good record. Won't use 'em again.

nico1616

Quote from: Elgarian on May 16, 2012, 11:24:26 AM
More about Zoverstocks:

On the credit side, as soon as I notified them of the CD's non-arrival they refunded my money. But still, inconvenience and a waste of time on two out of three orders, and a misleading quality description on the third, doesn't constitute a good record. Won't use 'em again.

My experiences with zoverstocks are much better. In the last months I placed some 25 orders and they all arrived within 2 weeks. Only one was lost, but I got a refund. The description very good was mostly accurate. Their strongest asset is of course the price, so much to choose from in the £0.01-0.10 range :)
The first half of life is spent in longing for the second, the second half in regretting the first.

kishnevi

After complaining about one Amazon MP vendor, I thought I'd put in a "like" for two MP vendors who appear to be very new/small, going by the low number of ratings they've received:  hortie1 and safelightmedia.  They were two of the three vendors from whom I ordered recordings of Shostakovich 4 over the weekend.  Both were shipped Sunday night/Monday, and in my  mailbox, stoutly packaged in both cases, on Wednesday by lunchtime.  The third one, from blowitoutahere,  was shipped at the same time but has not yet landed, but I've ordered enough times from them that I'm not unduly concerned.  (Since I ordered "new" and not used,  condition was not really relevant.)

Regarding Zoverstocks,  while I've never ordered used CDs from them,  and not ordered from them that often (and not recently, either), no order has been lost in transit.  (In fact, the only two orders with which I've had problems have been AmazonUS itself, and Prestoclassical, and in the case of the latter, the problem turned out to be the local mail, and was no fault of Presto's.)  My only complaint with them has been they take up to a week to ship the item and then seem to ship it by slower delivery, so it can take up to two extra weeks to get to me across the Atlantic compared to other UK vendors.

Coopmv

Quote from: Elgarian on May 16, 2012, 11:24:26 AM
More about Zoverstocks:

I have not bought from any non-US based Amazon MP vendors to date.  I almost did from an Amazon UK vendor but then found out it did not ship to the US ...

Opus106

Hey Brian, look at what MDT (or the hired web devs, rather) has inadvertently let out in the wild: http://mdt.wip.iweb.co.uk/ ! :D (note the 'wip')
Regards,
Navneeth

Opus106

Apropos to the 'grand opening', I saw this in the e-mail I received:

We can confirm that the new website has been developed on the latest technology, meaning your data can easily be manipulated... [emphasis mine]

By whom? :-\ I'm sure it's well meant, but that doesn't sound comforting.
Regards,
Navneeth

Coopmv

I just realized Presto Classical charged against my credit card as soon as my order was placed last Sunday and my email notification for dispatch was only sent yesterday.  Is this the way Presto works?  Amazon does not charge my credit card until shipment time ...    :-\

eyeresist

QuoteHello,

Due to a lack of availability, we will not be able to obtain the following item(s) from your order:

Dmitri Shostakovich, Borodin Quartet "Shostakovich: Complete String Quartets [6 CD]"

We've canceled the item(s) and apologize for the inconvenience. We must also apologize for the length of time it has taken us to reach this conclusion.

I placed my order with Amazon on 26 March (this year).

kishnevi

Quote from: Coopmv on June 14, 2012, 05:30:42 PM
I just realized Presto Classical charged against my credit card as soon as my order was placed last Sunday and my email notification for dispatch was only sent yesterday.  Is this the way Presto works?  Amazon does not charge my credit card until shipment time ...    :-\

Yes, and they provide no way of checking order status or tracking an order once shipped.  But I've ordered from them several times, and the only problem turned out to be the joint fault of myself and the USPS, and they were quick and responsive when I needed their help on that.    I prefer using them to MDT. 

If it bothers you (and I can understand it--it's just I'm used to their system by now), order only items that they say will ship in 1 day: I've found those things really do ship those things within 24 hours.  I placed an order a couple of nights ago; the next evening when I checked my email I found a dispatch notification waiting for me.

Coopmv

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on June 14, 2012, 06:44:00 PM
Yes, and they provide no way of checking order status or tracking an order once shipped.  But I've ordered from them several times, and the only problem turned out to be the joint fault of myself and the USPS, and they were quick and responsive when I needed their help on that.    I prefer using them to MDT. 

If it bothers you (and I can understand it--it's just I'm used to their system by now), order only items that they say will ship in 1 day: I've found those things really do ship those things within 24 hours.  I placed an order a couple of nights ago; the next evening when I checked my email I found a dispatch notification waiting for me.

I would say the average ship time I have experienced with Presto is 4 to 5 business days.  I have never experienced any next-day shipment ...

Coopmv

Quote from: eyeresist on June 14, 2012, 06:20:04 PM
I placed my order with Amazon on 26 March (this year).

Join the club, as this is the way of Amazon ...   

kishnevi

Quote from: Coopmv on June 17, 2012, 12:52:45 PM
I would say the average ship time I have experienced with Presto is 4 to 5 business days.  I have never experienced any next-day shipment ...

There usual method seems to be to ship the whole order at once, and if one item is listed as being available in 4-5 business days, the entire order won't be shipped until that one item is ready to be shipped, even if you check the option that directs them send you the order in partial packages, as soon as the items are available--although there have been exceptions, and if you pre-order a new release, they don't make you wait for that to send out the rest of the order.

It just so happens that this last order consisted of items that were all listed as being available within one day, and were shipped accordingly.

Coopmv

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on June 17, 2012, 06:52:56 PM
There usual method seems to be to ship the whole order at once, and if one item is listed as being available in 4-5 business days, the entire order won't be shipped until that one item is ready to be shipped, even if you check the option that directs them send you the order in partial packages, as soon as the items are available--although there have been exceptions, and if you pre-order a new release, they don't make you wait for that to send out the rest of the order.

It just so happens that this last order consisted of items that were all listed as being available within one day, and were shipped accordingly.

I prefer to receive the entire order at the same time.  I can wait ...    ;)

Papy Oli

I have never ordered from a US reseller on Amazon UK (only UK and EU ones) but "All your Music" comes up with the cheapest price on a couple of boxsets I have an eye on.

Their rating is ok. Has anyone in UK/EU had any experience with them before please ?
Olivier

The new erato

mdt finally did it. They replaced one of the cleanest looking, easy-to-use, non-resourceful clogging, informative websites in the business with another flashy nightmare.  Now (eg) you cannot search by composer in offerings listings but there are plenty of other small niceties I miss.

The new erato

A result of form over function, or attentiongrabbing over substance. Just like telly, really.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: The new erato on June 22, 2012, 05:04:13 AM
mdt finally did it. They replaced one of the cleanest looking, easy-to-use, non-resourceful clogging, informative websites in the business with another flashy nightmare.  Now (eg) you cannot search by composer in offerings listings but there are plenty of other small niceties I miss.
Their previous search engine was lousy for my needs, though then again, most of them are. I usually cut and pasted my entries and their old system was not made for that. We'll see if the newer one is any better.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!