On-line Stores & Sellers

Started by Expresso, July 02, 2007, 09:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coopmv

Quote from: Brian on January 31, 2013, 07:48:12 AM
To be fair to MDT, when I lived in England and shipped boxes to the USA, they cost a fortune. I think I spent $80 mailing two boxes of sweaters. So Presto may be losing a lot of money on their P&P/shipping rates.

I cannot agree with your assumption that Presto Classical is losing a lot of money on their P&P/shipping rates.  They have to be making money overall or they would not be around for long ...

Daverz

Quote from: Coopmv on February 02, 2013, 12:39:48 PM
I cannot agree with your assumption that Presto Classical is losing a lot of money on their P&P/shipping rates.  They have to be making money overall or they would not be around for long ...

I hardly think that MDT is gouging, though.

Coopmv

Quote from: Daverz on February 03, 2013, 03:10:17 PM
I hardly think that MDT is gouging, though.

I was not the one who claimed MDT was gouging.  I just think they may have made a little extra profits by charging somewhat more in postage and handling than Presto does.  But then MDT also has much better selections than Presto at any given time ...

flyingdutchman

Did you all notice how Amazon has now tucked the marketplace vendors almost out of view?  Very sneaky.

Opus106

Looks like MDT too now has an Amazon Storefront. (Or am I noticing it too late? Unlikely since they only have a little over a 100 ratings at the mo.)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aag/main/ref=olp_merch_name_2?ie=UTF8&asin=B009YKMALY&isAmazonFulfilled=0&seller=A14LGJSX9SPNF8

Boxes might work out cheaper through this place, assuming prices are the same between the two portals.
Regards,
Navneeth

Coopmv

Quote from: Opus106 on February 11, 2013, 09:42:33 AM
Looks like MDT too now has an Amazon Storefront. (Or am I noticing it too late? Unlikely since they only have a little over a 100 ratings at the mo.)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aag/main/ref=olp_merch_name_2?ie=UTF8&asin=B009YKMALY&isAmazonFulfilled=0&seller=A14LGJSX9SPNF8

Boxes might work out cheaper through this place, assuming prices are the same between the two portals.

Amazon MP is the place to be when an etailer wants to maximize its eCommerce exposure ...

Brian

For those curious about the fairness of shipping rates from MDT and Presto, I think I now have slightly more evidence.

I just received a shipment of CDs from MusicWeb, which I will be reviewing for them. There are a total of nine individual CDs: eight jewel cases and a cardboard 'digipak'. The discs were packed right up against each other, with no bubble wrap, no insulation, no foam peanuts, no newspaper: when you open the package, it's literally just two stacks of jewel cases. MusicWeb cannot afford to pack items with the care you receive from, say, Presto.

The cost [billed to MusicWeb] of shipping these nine (9) individual CDs from the UK by air mail to Texas? £14.08. This converts to US $21.84.

The cost [billed to me] of shipping nine (9) individual CDs from the UK by air mail to Texas, had I purchased them from Presto? US $11.55. Since Presto adds bubble wrap and other protective measures, adding weight to the packaging, they would have lost more than $10 on shipping these CDs.

The cost [billed to me] of shipping nine (9) individual CDs from the UK by air mail to Texas, had I purchased them from MDT? £7.25, or US $11.24.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: George on February 15, 2013, 04:39:27 PM
I've noticed recently that MDT charges my credit card in pounds, so my credit card charges me a 3% fee to convert to dollars. Presto does not, as they bill in USA dollars. Any way to get MDT to bill me in USA dollars?
I'm sure someone will let you know, but even so, get a Capital One credit card. They won't charge that fee (and it's great for travelling abroad as a result). If you go abroad with any regularity (even if every few years), it is worth it (and you will find it useful for these types of online transactions too).
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

mc ukrneal

Quote from: George on February 15, 2013, 04:49:54 PM
Thanks!

Is there a yearly fee for that card?
No, though I assume they have a range of cards like most (so you just may need to pay attention to which is which if you apply).
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Brian

Quote from: George on February 15, 2013, 04:49:54 PM
Thanks!

Is there a yearly fee for that card?

I have a basic one with no fee. Lived off it when I lived in England.

Coopmv

Quote from: George on February 15, 2013, 04:39:27 PM
I've noticed recently that MDT charges my credit card in pounds, so my credit card charges me a 3% fee to convert to dollars. Presto does not, as they bill in USA dollars. Any way to get MDT to bill me in USA dollars?

I have always paid a FX transaction fee for all my MDT orders ...

Coopmv

Quote from: mc ukrneal on February 15, 2013, 04:47:42 PM
I'm sure someone will let you know, but even so, get a Capital One credit card. They won't charge that fee (and it's great for travelling abroad as a result). If you go abroad with any regularity (even if every few years), it is worth it (and you will find it useful for these types of online transactions too).

I think my wife has a CapitalOne card and I get solicitation from them all the time.  The problem is I already have too many credit cards but wish to cancel some of them but do not because my credit score would take a hit for the cancellation - what a bunch of craps!

Coopmv

Quote from: Brian on February 15, 2013, 04:14:15 PM
For those curious about the fairness of shipping rates from MDT and Presto, I think I now have slightly more evidence.

I just received a shipment of CDs from MusicWeb, which I will be reviewing for them. There are a total of nine individual CDs: eight jewel cases and a cardboard 'digipak'. The discs were packed right up against each other, with no bubble wrap, no insulation, no foam peanuts, no newspaper: when you open the package, it's literally just two stacks of jewel cases. MusicWeb cannot afford to pack items with the care you receive from, say, Presto.

The cost [billed to MusicWeb] of shipping these nine (9) individual CDs from the UK by air mail to Texas? £14.08. This converts to US $21.84.

The cost [billed to me] of shipping nine (9) individual CDs from the UK by air mail to Texas, had I purchased them from Presto? US $11.55. Since Presto adds bubble wrap and other protective measures, adding weight to the packaging, they would have lost more than $10 on shipping these CDs.

The cost [billed to me] of shipping nine (9) individual CDs from the UK by air mail to Texas, had I purchased them from MDT? £7.25, or US $11.24.

Brian, I still think Presto makes money overall even if the shipping it charges does not cover the actual postage 100%.   

Lisz

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 20, 2013, 08:55:11 AM
Has anyone else got one of these yet?

Dear Gurn,
We thought you'd like to know that eligible songs from "Dvorak: Symphonic Works" by Antonin Dvorak, a CD you purchased in 2012, are being added to your Cloud Player library. This means that high-quality MP3 versions of these songs are available for you to play or download from Cloud Player for FREE. You can find your songs in the "Purchased" playlist. Please note that some songs from the above CD are not eligible for this feature and may not be available in your Cloud Player library.

In addition, we're excited to announce AutoRip. Now when you buy any CD with the  logo, all songs from the MP3 version of that album will instantly be delivered to your Amazon Cloud Player library for FREE.

I don't know to what extent I am going to make use of this. I found it interesting though. So if I buy a disk direct from Amazon, they will rip it and stick the MP3's into the mythical "cloud" for me. Free, of course.    :-\

8)

Yes, I got a notice earlier this week that most of the selections from six CDs I have bought at Amazon are now available on the Amazon cloud. I can download  them to a max of 10 devices or stream them at will using wireless.

I downloaded the Amazon App on my iPhone plugged it into the MP3 link on my radio and got a pretty pleasant sound...   

Should be able to hook up to my stereo also but haven't tried that yet.

Anyone else using the Cloud?

Opus106

Well, I got one too. There's a slight problem, though: the Cloud Player is only available to US customers. ::)

I still haven't got over their stupidity of offering me free MP3 downloads, and they send me this!
Regards,
Navneeth

Lisz

Quote from: Opus106 on February 17, 2013, 08:59:52 AM
Well, I got one too. There's a slight problem, though: the Cloud Player is only available to US customers. ::)

I still haven't got over their stupidity of offering me free MP3 downloads, and they send me this!

Oh! Sorry to hear that. That is not nice!  :(

Coopmv

Quote from: Opus106 on February 17, 2013, 08:59:52 AM

I have been getting those free MP3 offers for some times.  But yours truly do not care for MP3 and have NEVER owned an iPod ...

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Coopmv on February 17, 2013, 03:03:06 PM
I have been getting those free MP3 offers for some times.  But yours truly do not care for MP3 and have NEVER owned an iPod ...

Your Win 8 phone can play them with ease. I don't know if you spend time out of your house (I assume you do spend some though). It's handy for that. Hell, if it is MP3 SQ you are concerned about, then playing it on your phone and out-of-doors  will easily cancel any of those issues!   :D

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Coopmv

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 17, 2013, 03:17:17 PM
Your Win 8 phone can play them with ease. I don't know if you spend time out of your house (I assume you do spend some though). It's handy for that. Hell, if it is MP3 SQ you are concerned about, then playing it on your phone and out-of-doors  will easily cancel any of those issues!   :D

8)

I only listen to music when I am driving.  My 14-hour workday consists of 3 1/2 hour daily commute into NYC (via commuter railway), which I would like to cut out after 14 1/2 years.  I am hoping to stay local, i.e. in CT.
I do listen to music on my desktop via the MS Media player and have ripped a bunch of CD's at 192.  I still prefer physical media and really do not plan to use the Lumia 920 as a music player.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Coopmv on February 17, 2013, 03:56:28 PM
I only listen to music when I am driving.  My 14-hour workday consists of 3 1/2 hour daily commute into NYC (via commuter railway), which I would like to cut out after 14 1/2 years.  I am hoping to stay local, i.e. in CT.
I do listen to music on my desktop via the MS Media player and have ripped a bunch of CD's at 192.  I still prefer physical media and really do not plan to use the Lumia 920 as a music player.

I put a couple of gigabytes of music on any device that will handle it, including the phone & the Kindle Fire HD. Because you just never know! I toss a set of phones into the gear bag and am ready for anything.  :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)