On-line Stores & Sellers

Started by Expresso, July 02, 2007, 09:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parsifal

Did crotchet.co.uk go out of business? Their URL doesn't work.

I remember I used to order from them all the time. Then they sent me an email announcing  that they had upgraded their web site and as a result my account had been obliterated, including order history and shopping cart. I never ordered from them again.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Parsifal

Purchased an item from Amazon which was listed as published by Decca, and they sent me an archivmusic CD-ROM. It was Amazon proper, not a Marketplace seller. Requested a return, granted with no difficulty.

Mirror Image

I made my last purchase with Presto Classical. They have screwed my orders up too many times to consider using them again. The first time I was okay with the mistake, but when every order I make with them has items missing or they simply have not shipped all of my items within that order at the same time as the others, it becomes a problem.

The new erato

Never had a problem with presto. When an item is late they occasionally split up an order and sends the missing item later and I cannot see the problem with that.

Turner

I´ve been very satisfied with ordering from Presto, MDT and JPC.de.

A slight disruption was JPC.de changing a paid order from a Friday, cancelling an item in a notice on Monday, where I found out that it was because the price had gone up during the weekend. This in spite of the item still being stated to be in stock on Monday too. When I contacted them, they however swiftly agreed to sell me the item for the reduced price in a later order from them. I guess there´s some automatic cancellations going on in their system at times.

As for Amazon´s European websites, I think I´ve noticed an increasing number of companies who seem to offer low prices, but then show to be based say on the Channel Islands or in Switzerland, adding massive custom fees and service fees to that initial, low price. In reality, their prices aren´t competitive then, and one has to look carefully about their addresses, to avoid costly surprises (I haven´t tried Swiss providers I think, but from what I understand, those custom fees will be added to deliveries for the EU).

Also, I´ve noticed that a good deal of the bigger companies have addresses in the Netherlands. In relation to the current Paradise Papers story, from what I understand, the Dutch business registration and tax system has for decades specialized in providing comfortably easy access to overseas 'tax heavens' for companies.

Parsifal

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 09, 2017, 08:44:11 PM
I made my last purchase with Presto Classical. They have screwed my orders up too many times to consider using them again. The first time I was okay with the mistake, but when every order I make with them has items missing or they simply have not shipped all of my items within that order at the same time as the others, it becomes a problem.

I interpret that as a favor to you. It means they are taking the expense of shipping immediately available items right away, rather than delaying the entire order until all items are available.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Scarpia on November 10, 2017, 05:53:00 AM
I interpret that as a favor to you. It means they are taking the expense of shipping immediately available items right away, rather than delaying the entire order until all items are available.

But when that goes against the wishes of the customer then it's a problem and not a favor to me at all. You have the option before checkout to have all of your items shipped together or to have them shipped as they become available. I always choose the first option, but this isn't what I found annoying. What I found annoying was when I open my package only to find three items missing whenever the invoice clearly states that these items were supposed to be in the package. It would be different if it was a one time thing (even twice I understand), but to have it happen 4 times out of 5 --- that's just frustrating.

stingo

I am probably late to the party on this, but Chandos is offering a discounted (£5 vs the regular £9.99) download title every hour (title must be paid for before its hour expires). As I write this, there is a Beethoven/Archduke Ferdinand violin variations as well as a Beethoven sonata. I am listening to an English Guitar Concerti (Craig Ogden/Northern Sinfonia, Hiscox) download that I picked up yesterday and am liking it. At any rate, I just thought it was an interesting way to run a sale.

Turner

Quote from: Turner on November 09, 2017, 11:28:51 PM
I´ve been very satisfied with ordering from Presto, MDT and JPC.de.

A slight disruption was JPC.de changing a paid order from a Friday, cancelling an item in a notice on Monday, where I found out that it was because the price had gone up during the weekend. This in spite of the item still being stated to be in stock on Monday too. When I contacted them, they however swiftly agreed to sell me the item for the reduced price in a later order from them. I guess there´s some automatic cancellations going on in their system at times.

As for Amazon´s European websites, I think I´ve noticed an increasing number of companies who seem to offer low prices, but then show to be based say on the Channel Islands or in Switzerland, adding massive custom fees and service fees to that initial, low price. In reality, their prices aren´t competitive then, and one has to look carefully about their addresses, to avoid costly surprises (I haven´t tried Swiss providers I think, but from what I understand, those custom fees will be added to deliveries for the EU).

Also, I´ve noticed that a good deal of the bigger companies have addresses in the Netherlands. In relation to the current Paradise Papers story, from what I understand, the Dutch business registration and tax system has for decades specialized in providing comfortably easy access to overseas 'tax heavens' for companies.

MDT seems to have gone berserk with their postage rates recently; a delivery of two small CD box sets will now cost £ 10.25 to Denmark. One is £ 7.25 !

But they are to a large extent excluding themselves from the market as regards my buyings, those prices usually not being competitive compared to those of other sellers.

German Zweitausendeins sometimes has interesting offers (their selection is limited though), and a fixed postal rate. Offers from lesser known repertoire often stay there for long.
The Brilliant Classics 50 CD Telemann Edition has been 50 Euros there for ages. The Brilliant Russian Chamber 6 CD box, for 4 Euros, too.

Spineur

The latest order Momox/Medimops didnt make it after now a full month.  I just asked for a refund.  I am afraid I will have to look for alternatives.  I prefer to pay more and have a good delivery service.  On that count, only Amazon and clicmusique have kept their delivery promises.

Que

Quote from: Spineur on November 26, 2017, 01:37:50 AM
The latest order Momox/Medimops didnt make it after now a full month.  I just asked for a refund. I am afraid I will have to look for alternatives.  I prefer to pay more and have a good delivery service.  On that count, only Amazon and clicmusique have kept their delivery promises.

I'm not so happy with the carelessness of Medimops either....

There is another German party ReBuy, that has really good offers on collectibles.
But.. they are unwilling to ship outside of Germany.... ::)

For new stuff I use jpc for larger orders. Shipping to the Netherlands is cheap and free one weekend a month or so.They have great deals.
For single items,  I use the Amazon UK marketplace. Shipping is £2 an item, which is much cheaper than the market places of the ither European Amazons.
But I'm not sure if that is going to last after Brexit.....

German Amazon is starting to focus more on the Netherlands, featuring a Dutch language option.
Not that I necessarily need that, I'd rather see shipping costs go down...

Q

Spineur

Quote from: Spineur on November 26, 2017, 01:37:50 AM
The latest order Momox/Medimops didnt make it after now a full month.  I just asked for a refund.  I am afraid I will have to look for alternatives.  I prefer to pay more and have a good delivery service.  On that count, only Amazon and clicmusique have kept their delivery promises.
In the end, I got no refund.  They didnt want to understand that I had not recieved the order.  They are finished with me.  This is where Amazon shines: for them customer satisfaction is their priority.  Here the amount lost is negligible, but the frustration very large.

Parsifal

Quote from: Spineur on November 29, 2017, 09:12:34 AM
In the end, I got no refund.  They didnt want to understand that I had not recieved the order.  They are finished with me.  This is where Amazon shines: for them customer satisfaction is their priority.  Here the amount lost is negligible, but the frustration very large.

Was the order made through Amazon Marketplace? If so, my experience is that Amazon will override and refund you even if the merchant doesn't respond.

aligreto

Quote from: Scarpia on December 01, 2017, 09:02:36 AM
Was the order made through Amazon Marketplace? If so, my experience is that Amazon will override and refund you even if the merchant doesn't respond.

That is my experience also.

mc ukrneal

And even if that is not so, you could contest the credit card charge with the credit card company/bank (if one used a credit card).
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Spineur

Quote from: Scarpia on December 01, 2017, 09:02:36 AM
No it wasnt.  As I said, I dont care about the refund, it is that it is a source of CDs that has become unreliable and that I have to look for others.

Baron Scarpia

I find myself disappointed with Presto Classical. I placed an order. The web site said it ships in 3 days. Then they changed that to a week, then they changed that to a month. Fine, but then I noticed that they already charged my credit card.

I will not purchase there again.

prémont

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on December 20, 2017, 11:35:29 PM
I find myself disappointed with Presto Classical. I placed an order. The web site said it ships in 3 days. Then they changed that to a week, then they changed that to a month. Fine, but then I noticed that they already charged my credit card.

I will not purchase there again.

They charge your credit card when you post your order. Actually they will not execute any order, until they have got the money. I have accepted this since long, because there have never been problems with refund, if they turned out to be unable to deliver an order. I have dealt with them for more than fifteen years, so I have a long time experience with their costumer policy. All in all they offer a good service.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

The new erato

Quote from: (: premont :) on December 21, 2017, 03:18:46 AM
They charge your credit card when you post your order. Actually they will not execute any order, until they have got the money. I have accepted this since long, because there have never been problems with refund, if they turned out to be unable to deliver an order. I have dealt with them for more than fifteen years, so I have a long time experience with their costumer policy. All in all they offer a good service.
Me as well. What a few cents interest?