On-line Stores & Sellers

Started by Expresso, July 02, 2007, 09:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Quote from: The new erato on December 21, 2017, 03:41:12 AM
Me as well. What a few cents interest?

The only problem I have with them is the postage cost which increase the more you buy, so I rather stick to JPC if possible.
Their service is impeccable though.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

premont

Quote from: Harry's corner on December 21, 2017, 03:42:57 AM
The only problem I have with them is the postage cost which increase the more you buy, so I rather stick to JPC if possible.
Their service is impeccable though.

I also tend to stick to JPC when possible, but often Presto is the only option particularly as to downloads, which in some cases is the only way of getting a recording. 
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Baron Scarpia

It is not the end of the world, but it is a significant inconvenience. I made the purchase with a credit card that I don't normally use. Today I had to pay the bill, even though they haven't even told me when it will be available. Now if I decide it is not worth waiting for and cancel they will refund, and I will carry a balance on my credit card? Now I have to find an excuse to use that credit card to nullify the balance? Annoying enough that I'll find a different vendor next time.

premont

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on December 21, 2017, 08:23:22 AM
It is not the end of the world, but it is a significant inconvenience. I made the purchase with a credit card that I don't normally use. Today I had to pay the bill, even though they haven't even told me when it will be available. Now if I decide it is not worth waiting for and cancel they will refund, and I will carry a balance on my credit card? Now I have to find an excuse to use that credit card to nullify the balance? Annoying enough that I'll find a different vendor next time.

When you order something, they send you a confirmation mail and in this you can read how long time they expect it will take, before they can ship the CDs. In two instances I waited somewhat  longer than presupposed. I lost my patience, cancelled the order and without any problems the money were returned to my credit card.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: (: premont :) on December 21, 2017, 09:43:29 AM
When you order something, they send you a confirmation mail and in this you can read how long time they expect it will take, before they can ship the CDs. In two instances I waited somewhat  longer than presupposed. I lost my patience, cancelled the order and without any problems the money were returned to my credit card.

Yes, I am aware that they sent me a confirmation email, I am aware that the told me how long it would take to ship, I am also aware that they are now a month beyond that expected shipment date, they have my money, I have paid the credit card bill, and if I cancel I will have the nuisance of monitoring my credit card to confirm the refund and deciding how to manage a positive balance sitting on my credit card. It is not the end of the world, but I would have been better off ordering from any other reputable on-line store.

I have emailed them requesting cancelation of the order.

mc ukrneal

I have just come across a site called allflac that sells many flac downloads. They appear to be dirt cheap, which makes me wonder if this is a legit site. Does anyone know anything about them? I am hesitant to use them, though they show a UK address at the bottom of some web pages. Or perhaps they only sell within the UK (in which case I can ignore them)?
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

The One

I find Presto very interesting for Europe shopping. I most probably had hundreds of deals with them...not a single glitch.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 01, 2018, 08:16:29 PM
I have just come across a site called allflac that sells many flac downloads. They appear to be dirt cheap, which makes me wonder if this is a legit site. Does anyone know anything about them? I am hesitant to use them, though they show a UK address at the bottom of some web pages. Or perhaps they only sell within the UK (in which case I can ignore them)?

Found this on a search, Neal. From the forum site "Computer Audiophile". Not that I know any of the people involved...

QuotePosted November 8, 2016

Audio_ELF said:
    It claims to be UK based but iirc it's actually in the Ukraine. I would be extremely doubtful it is legitimate and that any money you pay gets to the rights holders / musicians. I'd be cautious giving credit card details to such a sight.

As far as I'm concerned you are better off using torrent than this site.

QuoteHow do you know it's from the Ukraine? They show a business registration number, a VAT number and an Essex address. They also have an enormous catalogue. Someone has sunk a lot of money into this site. If it is ripping off musicians I would think someone would have shut them down already.

I did a search for the parent company on https://www.companieslist.co.uk/08904847-flackers-ltd. They appear to be at the address shown and all their documents seem legit. If they are not the same company I think the real Flackers Ltd. would have gone after them.

I have made two charges on my credit card to them. They seem to have gone through alright. I am not too worried about my credit card. My company has always covered the losses. In fact I have never even been sent a bill for a fraudulent change, the credit card company has always discovered the fraud before they sent me a bill.

Rick

Of course, "Rick" may be Ukrainian for all I know... :-\

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: The One on January 24, 2018, 08:05:41 AM
I find Presto very interesting for Europe shopping. I most probably had hundreds of deals with them...not a single glitch.

I haven't made nearly that many purchases, since I buy in USA when I can, but all of my dealings with Presto have been really happy ones for me. I know others have said differently, but that isn't my experience. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 24, 2018, 09:12:41 AM
Found this on a search, Neal. From the forum site "Computer Audiophile". Not that I know any of the people involved...

Of course, "Rick" may be Ukrainian for all I know... :-\

8)
I believe it breaks copyright. I came to this conclusion by searching for Hyperion discs, which are not available anywhere except at their own website. Their prices are also way out of whack (meaning suspiciously low). Thus, I have not used them.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

The new erato

Quote from: The One on January 24, 2018, 08:05:41 AM
Me neither.

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on December 21, 2017, 10:29:15 AM
Yes, I am aware that they sent me a confirmation email, I am aware that the told me how long it would take to ship, I am also aware that they are now a month beyond that expected shipment date, they have my money, I have paid the credit card bill, and if I cancel I will have the nuisance of monitoring my credit card to confirm the refund and deciding how to manage a positive balance sitting on my credit card. It is not the end of the world, but I would have been better off ordering from any other reputable on-line store.

I have emailed them requesting cancelation of the order.

Well, after they took my order, charged my credit card and didn't ship anything for a month they did refund without a hitch. Their order canceling performance is not notch, I'll give them that. Then I had a $50 credit sitting on my credit card. Felt like free money.

They are a perfectly reputable site but their policy of charging your card, not just before they ship, but before they even know if the item you ordered is available or not, differs from every other web site I have ever purchased from. This doesn't make them an attractive option to me.

ShineyMcShineShine

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 01, 2018, 08:16:29 PM

Illegal. No telling where they got their rips from. Some of them could be reconverted mp3's.

Paul_Thomas

Presto Classical now have wishlists!

To use your wishlist create an account - you can also view your previous orders as long as you use the email for your account that you used for your old orders.

You can still order without an account, and more account features will follow.

The new erato

Quote from: Paul_Thomas on February 28, 2018, 10:52:07 AM

To use your wishlist create an account - you can also view your previous orders as long as you use the email for your account that you used for your old orders.

Good!

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Paul_Thomas on February 28, 2018, 10:52:07 AM

The last time I was on Presto Classical I could find no way to create an account, even after placing an order.

The new erato

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on February 28, 2018, 12:23:33 PM
The last time I was on Presto Classical I could find no way to create an account, even after placing an order.
This is why this is news.....

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: brunumb on March 11, 2018, 01:38:02 PM
I have bought stacks of used CDs from musicMagpie at AmazonUK.  The discs have always been in excellent condition even if the cases needed replacing.  Delivery to me in Australia has nearly always been within the expected timeline given.  Rare problems were quickly addressed by them and I always leave feedback that includes "highly recommended seller".

My other preferred source for cheap used CDs is decluttr_store on ebay (formerly Estocks USA).  Great bargains regularly pop up and postage is very cheap.  My latest bargain buy was the 43 disc DG set of complete Wagner operas for US$15.99 plus US$1 shipping to Australia.  That came to about AU$22.  On its way now.  Amazing.  I also snapped up the 14CD set of remastered Maria Callas studio recitals for about AU$15 and it was in mint condition.  You have to check regularly and pounce on the real bargains.  For some reason the first time the discs are listed the price is usually US$99, but very quickly they get revised down.  The maximum seems to be US$15.99.  Once again, highly recommended seller.

Continuing the discussion here, since we seem to have digressed into a topic that is more suited to this thread.

I have ordered several things from declutter_store and have been very happy with it.

For things that are available only in the UK, or more cheaply in the UK I have switched to OxfordshireEngland, rather than Zoverstocks. Usually they are within a few pennies on new items and are more reliable in my experience. But I'm still willing to take a chance with Zoverstocks with very cheap used items (like the Diego Fasoli mass in b-minor that they listed for $1.33).

Baron Scarpia

Two Zoverstocks orders that were placed less than 2weeks ago arrived today, so maybe they have fixed flaws in their process. I got the McCreech Matthew Passion for $2.50 and the Fasoli Mass I'm b minor for $1.50, so I'm not complaining. Hopefully the discs will rip without errors. Fingers crossed.

Baron Scarpia

Didn't like Presto Classical's policy of charging before shipping (even for an item out-of-stock at the distributor which still hadn't shipped after a month). But I like their download service. Seems like FLAC files are generally available for a fair price, and the downloading procedure is painless.