On-line Stores & Sellers

Started by Expresso, July 02, 2007, 09:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

I'm so happy-- cdconnection's free shipping was by priority!!  I've already received it. :)

sound67

www.crotchet.co.uk

Never had a problem with them, which is more than I can say of MDT.
"Vivaldi didn't compose 500 concertos. He composed the same concerto 500 times" - Igor Stravinsky

"Mozart is a menace to musical progress, a relic of rituals that were losing relevance in his own time and are meaningless to ours." - Norman Lebrecht

Que

Anyone has had recent experience with Europadisc (UK)?
I was their satisfied customer years ago, when they weren't on line yet and communication still went by (e)mail.

Just came across them again, the website looks nice with interesting offers.

Q

orbital

Amazon download service is now operational in Beta version:

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=dm_hp_brg_lk7/103-7398047-9586264?ie=UTF8&node=195264011

Their selection will be DRM free, at lest for now.

DavidW

Albums pricing looks pretty steep, must be what we pay for high bit rate, drm free music?

George

Quote from: DavidW on September 25, 2007, 02:28:11 PM
Albums pricing looks pretty steep, must be what we pay for high bit rate, drm free music?

Yeah, it's like their asking us to share purchased music.  ::)

DavidW

Quote from: George on September 25, 2007, 05:10:13 PM

Yeah pretty much. ;D  Even if you can't sell it, share it. :)

orbital

Quote from: George on September 25, 2007, 05:10:13 PM
exactly. But they have nothing to lose anyway  :) Their CD revenues as a percentage are falling, and it was high time they joined the game. And it is always nice to have a large store compete with the current monopoly (ie iTunes).

George

Quote from: orbital on September 25, 2007, 06:02:01 PM
exactly. But they have nothing to lose anyway  :) Their CD revenues as a percentage are falling, and it was high time they joined the game. And it is always nice to have a large store compete with the current monopoly (ie iTunes).

Also nice to have double the bitrate!  8)

orbital

Just finished my first download purchase from amazon (non-classical). They have a little application called Amazon downloader which keeps track of your downloads, and in case you want to pause you can do so through that application. Very easy process, I quite liked their intuitive interface.

The new erato

Quote from: Que on September 16, 2007, 05:21:28 PM
Anyone has had recent experience with Europadisc (UK)?
I was their satisfied customer years ago, when they weren't on line yet and communication still went by (e)mail.

Just came across them again, the website looks nice with interesting offers.

Q
Very good prices and I've started using them again after they same online. Very satisfied so far, but can't say I've had problems with mdt either.

Que

Quote from: erato on September 27, 2007, 11:15:15 AM
Very good prices and I've started using them again after they same online. Very satisfied so far, but can't say I've had problems with mdt either.

Thanks!  :) I order in the UK for special offers only, since Europasdisc and MDT have different offers they would be quite complementary. For instance Europadisc currently has a BIS offer - I'm tempted to get some of Brautigam's LvB cycle... 8)

Q

brpaulandrew

Quote from: Tancata on July 02, 2007, 02:19:17 PM
I have to second Amazon - they can have really, really good prices on a lot of classical CDs.

I have not bought CD's through Amazon but do use the reviews and comments for some recording recommendations.

It's a shame that so many record and book stores are reducing their inventories. I like to hold an item for a while before buying.

Siedler

Quote from: sound67 on September 16, 2007, 04:26:31 PM
www.crotchet.co.uk

Never had a problem with them, which is more than I can say of MDT.
They should really pay a bit effort to design their site, Comic Sans as font?!

Mark

Quote from: Siedler on October 26, 2007, 02:37:51 PM
They should really pay a bit effort to design their site, Comic Sans as font?!

They should pay more attention to what they advertise as being 'in stock'. I've had an order placed with them for a month now (something I'm acquiring on behalf of one of our members here), and all I get, week after week, are emails telling me the item is still on order. It's a very poor show; and, as I ALWAYS vote with my wallet in instances of bad service such as these, I definitely will NOT be using Crochet ever again. >:(

Fëanor

Quote from: Bogey on July 02, 2007, 09:10:53 AM
I use Arkive quite a bit.  A decent resourece to see what might be in print.

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/main.jsp

I love ArkivMusic.  What's not to like?  Huge selection, decent prices, low shipping costs, and good service even to Canada.  But best of all, maybe, it's easy & fun to navigate the site which you can do by composer / conductor / performer / ensemble / opera / label.  They also provide recommendations and Classics Today 10/10 ratings, (not that I always agree with Classics Today reviewers).

Fëanor

Quote from: Feanor on October 27, 2007, 09:24:32 AM
I love ArkivMusic.  What's not to like?  Huge selection, decent prices, low shipping costs, and good service even to Canada.  But best of all, maybe, it's easy & fun to navigate the site which you can do by composer / conductor / performer / ensemble / opera / label.  They also provide recommendations and Classics Today 10/10 ratings, (not that I always agree with Classics Today reviewers).

Here's a new online article talking about ArkivMusics ArkivCD program whereby they reproduce, on-demand, many out-of-print CDs.

I have bought a number of ArkivCDs and they're just fine.  The cover art is like the original;  the only problem has been the notes which have been basically none.  However I believe I heard some to the affect that full notes will be provide in the near future.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/071103/tecnology/net_classical_dc

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/AlbumGroup?album_group=8

Que

I'm looking for a good Czech source!

Anything I missed besides CDmusic.cz and musicfayre? :)

Q

Daverz

Quote from: Que on December 09, 2007, 12:01:23 AM
I'm looking for a good Czech source!

There's musicabona.com, (or was?  I can't seem to reach their site right now).

Que

Quote from: Daverz on December 09, 2007, 02:45:04 PM
There's musicabona.com, (or was?  I can't seem to reach their site right now).

Musicabona is now musicfayre, though I don't think I like the new incarnation better.

Q