On-line Stores & Sellers

Started by Expresso, July 02, 2007, 09:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulThomas

Brian beat me to it, but yes!

The only exception being as I mentioned for some labels & titles they don't have the digital files available so they can't offer those for streaming/downloads.

In the recent years they have added Hyperion & Linn to their digital catalogue.

Madiel

I haven't tried the app yet, but I just tried the "my library" option on the website.

It was kind of startling to see how much was on there, but clearly it goes back quite a fair way. I had 70 albums listed (and some of those "albums" are several discs long) from order back to 2012. I suspect my first order or two were without an account, so this would go back to whenever I signed up properly.

I've not really paid attention before to the fact that the order history also shows just how much I spent each time. Like when I splashed out A$700 in one go...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

MusicTurner

Concerning JPC & their problematic website not allowing Visa or Mastercard payments, due to their procedure of an initial confirmation request of a payment of 0.00 Euros, which a lot of bank systems don't acknowledge, so that one has to pay JPC using PayPal in stead:

My AVG safety system now blocks any transfer of money to my PayPal account from my bank account via the Trustly company, nonetheless recommended by PayPal itself, resulting in further troubles.

The alternatives for me then are
1) getting a bank transfer via my bank to PayPal, which can in some cases take time; I don't like the insecurity of it, just like I don't fancy the overall involvement of the Trustly company either, including the use of some of my bank codes on the way;
2) getting a friend who has a PayPal account to transfer money to my account, after paying him firstly, say via a MobilePay;
3) using a different computer or phone with a different browser, that hasn't got AVG installed.

2) and 3) are also somewhat inconvenient, or have some insecurities with them ...

So I contacted JPC again, and they now say that they are rethinking their concept and preparing to make substantial changes in payment procedures.

Que

Quote from: MusicTurner on May 18, 2021, 01:40:55 AM
Concerning JPC & their problematic website not allowing Visa or Mastercard payments, due to their procedure of an initial confirmation request of a payment of 0.00 Euros, which a lot of bank systems don't acknowledge, so that one has to pay JPC using PayPal in stead:

My AVG safety system now blocks any transfer of money to my PayPal account from my bank account via the Trustly company, nonetheless recommended by PayPal itself, resulting in further troubles.

The alternatives for me then are
1) getting a bank transfer via my bank to PayPal, which can in some cases take time; I don't like the insecurity of it, just like I don't fancy the overall involvement of the Trustly company, including the use of some of my bank codes on the way, either;
2) getting a friend who has a PayPal account to transfer money to my account, after paying him firstly, say via a MobilePay;
3) using a different computer or phone with a different browser, that hasn't AVG installed.

2) and 3) are also somewhat inconvenient, or have some insecurities with them ...

So I contacted JPC again, and they now say that they are rethinking their concept and preparing to make substantial changes in payment procedures.

Wow.... They certainly took their sweet time to reconsider their own procedure, even though it was pretty obvious right from the start that it had become incompatible  (and unnecessary) with the new 3D verification system... ::)
They kept playing it off as a technical problem...

The new erato

So they needed all this time to find out that they could make do with the same procedures implemented by all other websites I know of? Im..... es.

Brian

Has ArkivMusic customer service improved at all recently? I just discovered that they have never shipped over a dozen (!) items I ordered in the springtime, and I want to make sure that it is all canceled and refunded so that I can go buy it elsewhere. Ten of the items, when I click on their listings, they've been deleted from the website entirely ("page not found").

JBS

Quote from: Brian on June 16, 2021, 07:06:46 PM
Has ArkivMusic customer service improved at all recently? I just discovered that they have never shipped over a dozen (!) items I ordered in the springtime, and I want to make sure that it is all canceled and refunded so that I can go buy it elsewhere. Ten of the items, when I click on their listings, they've been deleted from the website entirely ("page not found").

No they haven't. I had to badger them to ship me two orders. One they shipped only after I ordered them to cancel it.
Both problems involved back order/pre-order items so my recent orders with them are strictly stuff they list as being in stock.

They've also gotten bad again about shipping notifications.  USPS says I have a package on the way from them, but they haven't emailed me to tell me what's been shipped. (I know it's from them by process of elimination.)

Their New Release page has gone from not updated enough to unuseable.

They had these sort of problems before but it was bearable because they did not charge until shipment. (I had to email them a few times to tell them they needed to charge me for CDs they shipped without charging.) Now the new website charges the credit card immediately.

I use them a lot less, certainly, and Amazon a lot more. I intend to experiment before long with Presto and Europadisc.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Que

Quote from: JBS on June 16, 2021, 07:41:37 PM

I use them a lot less, certainly, and Amazon a lot more. I intend to experiment before long with Presto and Europadisc.

My experiences with those have been excellent.  :)

Madiel

Quote from: Que on June 16, 2021, 11:21:30 PM
My experiences with those have been excellent.  :)

Yes. Long time Presto fan of course. Have used Europadisc more recently for the first time and it all went pretty smoothly.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Brian

(I had to email them a few times to tell them they needed to charge me for CDs they shipped without charging.)
Oh wow. That is real amateur hour.

This sounds like it will be a very unpleasant encounter. Actually looking at their website I don't even see the email address to contact them and complain.

I have had nothing but excellent experiences from Presto and Europa. Presto even recently shipped me a booklet separate from a BIS CD where, when it arrived new, the booklet had fallen out! And their service people got a booklet for me and mailed it free between two sheets of cardboard to avoid damage.

The only problem with these two is shipping costs to the USA often negate the apparent $$ savings. For example their sale price on a BIS or CPO CD can be as low as $10.50-11.25, but it climbs back up with shipping, especially if you get a multidisc box set. Still, for the superior service and the satisfaction of not using Amazon, it's well worth it.

JBS

Quote from: Brian on June 17, 2021, 04:45:41 AM
Oh wow. That is real amateur hour.

This sounds like it will be a very unpleasant encounter. Actually looking at their website I don't even see the email address to contact them and complain.

I have had nothing but excellent experiences from Presto and Europa. Presto even recently shipped me a booklet separate from a BIS CD where, when it arrived new, the booklet had fallen out! And their service people got a booklet for me and mailed it free between two sheets of cardboard to avoid damage.

The only problem with these two is shipping costs to the USA often negate the apparent $$ savings. For example their sale price on a BIS or CPO CD can be as low as $10.50-11.25, but it climbs back up with shipping, especially if you get a multidisc box set. Still, for the superior service and the satisfaction of not using Amazon, it's well worth it.

The email address I used is customerservice@arkivmusic.com.
In fact, just reply to the email they sent confirming the order.

I've been looking for a motive to cut down my purchasing, so not using Arkiv will help there.

Pohjolas Daughter

No they haven't. I had to badger them to ship me two orders. One they shipped only after I ordered them to cancel it.
Both problems involved back order/pre-order items so my recent orders with them are strictly stuff they list as being in stock.

They've also gotten bad again about shipping notifications.  USPS says I have a package on the way from them, but they haven't emailed me to tell me what's been shipped. (I know it's from them by process of elimination.)

Their New Release page has gone from not updated enough to unuseable.

They had these sort of problems before but it was bearable because they did not charge until shipment. (I had to email them a few times to tell them they needed to charge me for CDs they shipped without charging.) Now the new website charges the credit card immediately.

Wow!  I'm quite surprised as I used them a handful of times--mind you this was a fair bit of time even before the advent of the pandemic.  I remember one time when I had sent them an email about a CD arriving damaged and received an email back quite promptly from someone in customer service...very polite and helpful.

Was this an issue pre-pandemic?  Trying to remember if they are the company that I'm thinking of that moved their distribution center to Nashville (thinking that it was outsourced?)?  If so, did things go south from there?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Brian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 19, 2021, 01:34:17 PMTrying to remember if they are the company that I'm thinking of that moved their distribution center to Nashville (thinking that it was outsourced?)?  If so, did things go south from there?

PD
I don't have many answers for the rest of your questions/comments, but Franklin, Tennessee is home of the Naxos of America distribution warehouse, and Naxos bought ArkivMusic in 2015. Even before that I had gotten some Arkiv boxes straight from Franklin, I guess due to some kind of contract, but yeah, now if you order from Naxos-distributed labels it comes direct from that address.

(I knew Naxos was in Franklin because I won a free CD from them way back in like 2009. Autographed by a composer...now, don't ask me which composer  ;D ;D edit: oh I remembered it! Fire & Blood by Michael Daugherty)

JBS

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 19, 2021, 01:34:17 PM
Wow!  I'm quite surprised as I used them a handful of times--mind you this was a fair bit of time even before the advent of the pandemic.  I remember one time when I had sent them an email about a CD arriving damaged and received an email back quite promptly from someone in customer service...very polite and helpful.

Was this an issue pre-pandemic?  Trying to remember if they are the company that I'm thinking of that moved their distribution center to Nashville (thinking that it was outsourced?)?  If so, did things go south from there?

PD

They announced a change of warehouse about 2 or 3 years ago. The problems started with that.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Brian on June 19, 2021, 01:52:00 PM
I don't have many answers for the rest of your questions/comments, but Franklin, Tennessee is home of the Naxos of America distribution warehouse, and Naxos bought ArkivMusic in 2015. Even before that I had gotten some Arkiv boxes straight from Franklin, I guess due to some kind of contract, but yeah, now if you order from Naxos-distributed labels it comes direct from that address.

(I knew Naxos was in Franklin because I won a free CD from them way back in like 2009. Autographed by a composer...now, don't ask me which composer  ;D ;D edit: oh I remembered it! Fire & Blood by Michael Daugherty)

Quote from: JBS on June 19, 2021, 06:46:56 PM
They announced a change of warehouse about 2 or 3 years ago. The problems started with that.

Thank you both for the info.  So sorry to hear that things had changed so much and not for the better.  :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Papy Oli

Olivier

aligreto

Papy Oli

Quote from: aligreto on June 22, 2021, 08:16:36 AM
I will sell my one for a mere £9,999.99  ;D

Hope you throw in the red wine and the turntable at that price  :P
Olivier

aligreto

Quote from: Papy Oli on June 22, 2021, 08:24:06 AM