On-line Stores & Sellers

Started by Expresso, July 02, 2007, 09:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coopmv

Quote from: Feanor on February 03, 2009, 06:06:55 PM
Good Lord!

I borrow a lot of CDs from the public library; one becomes quite tolerant of odors, stains, etc.

Close to 30 years ago when I was still in college, in an attempt to familiarize myself with opera, I borrowed the Solti's Wagner Tannhauser from the NYC public library.  That was the last time I ever borrowed music from any library.  The set was so beat up that I felt like listening to fireworks throughout ...
LOL

George

Quote from: Coopmv on February 08, 2009, 12:16:53 PM
Close to 30 years ago when I was still in college, in an attempt to familiarize myself with opera, I borrowed the Solti's Wagner Tannhauser from the NYC public library.  That was the last time I ever borrowed music from any library.  The set was so beat up that I felt like listening to fireworks throughout ...
LOL

Maybe it was coupled with the 1812 Overture?  ;D

Coopmv

Quote from: George on February 08, 2009, 12:46:00 PM
Maybe it was coupled with the 1812 Overture?  ;D

No kidding.  But it was a much tamer version of this CD, which I have.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Coopmv on February 08, 2009, 01:53:49 PM
No kidding.  But it was a much tamer version of this CD, which I have.

Now, that's a great disk. My father had it when I was just a kid and I bought the CD a couple years ago just for nostalgia. Turns out to be every bit as good now as it was then, which is to say, hasn't been really surpassed. :)

8)

----------------
Listening to:
The Young Beethoven - Igor Kipnis -  LvB WoO 53 Allegretto in c
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Coopmv

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 08, 2009, 01:57:48 PM
Now, that's a great disk. My father had it when I was just a kid and I bought the CD a couple years ago just for nostalgia. Turns out to be every bit as good now as it was then, which is to say, hasn't been really surpassed. :)

I thought the canon shots at West Point were separately recorded and dubbed onto the tape that was made from the orchestra's recording session ...

Jay F

Quote from: Coopmv on February 08, 2009, 12:16:53 PM
LOL
Where did you go to school? Columbia? NYU?

Coopmv

haydnguy

Anyone had dealings with Records International???    Thanks... :)

http://www.recordsinternational.com/

Kuhlau

Quote from: BaxMan on February 17, 2009, 07:41:43 PM
Anyone had dealings with Records International???    Thanks... :)

http://www.recordsinternational.com/

Nope, but they look credible enough for me to add them to my list of classical music sellers. ;)

FK

haydnguy

Quote from: Kuhlau on February 17, 2009, 11:02:39 PM
Nope, but they look credible enough for me to add them to my list of classical music sellers. ;)

FK

Also, I just noticed that they recommended another website on their homepage, "Classical Lost and Found".   http://www.clofo.com/

Coopmv

Quote from: BaxMan on February 18, 2009, 05:47:45 AM
Also, I just noticed that they recommended another website on their homepage, "Classical Lost and Found".   http://www.clofo.com/

So Clofo is some CD broker that matches up buyer with seller ...

Opus106

jpc.de  ::)
Regards,
Navneeth

Fëanor

Wanderer

Quote from: Renfield on March 13, 2009, 03:51:21 PM
Like Franz Ferdinand, obviously!

Which are to give a concert in Athens this June, as I hear.

Renfield

Quote from: Wanderer on March 18, 2009, 12:41:58 AM
Which are to give a concert in Athens this June, as I hear.

Oh, that's interesting to hear.

I recently enjoyed their latest album: the only sample of their music I've heard, but a very competent sample nonetheless!

Renfield

Let me put in a good word for the musicjapan_uk Amazon Marketplace vendor, for both their excellent prices, prompt delivery speed (for the UK), and an included thank you note doubling as a return form, to reduce hassle in the case of damaged merchandise.

Re the speed, just imagine that the Blomstedt Bruckner 7th, sent from Japan with minimal shipping, almost reached me before a package sent by my mother with the equivalent of first-class mail from Greece, three days before the Blomstedt was dispatched. That's not bad at all!

Que

Quote from: Coopmv on April 12, 2009, 04:28:27 AM

S&H charges from US e-tailers can also add up.  The Amazon MarketPlace vendors all charge $2.98, even for a $5 CD.  I imagine that is also the rate per item, as I have never orderd more than one item at a time from any MP vendor.  I have ordered a dozen times from MDT and never paid any VAT.  I heard the shipping rate from Germany is outrageously expensive, as someone complained about how much it cost to ship the Andras Schiff's Bach big box, which is only available in Germany.

I don't see much to complain about.
I guess you don't realise how lucky you are that Amazon.com (proper) offers FREE shipping within the US. And no VAT at MDT, while I presume US customs is vast asleep... (Dutch customs is always vigilant :()

My own shipping is NEVER free...  ::) And $2,98 from a MarketPlace seller is not so bad. If I order an item on MarketPlace at Amazon.co.uk shipping is £1,79 for a CD, that's $2,64. At Amazon.fr it's €3,40, that's $4.87.

Germany is indeed incredibly expensive, Amazon.de MarketPlace charges me a whopping €6, that's $7,92.. ::) But as Novi suggested at jpc's flat shipping rates, fewer larger orders really saves a lot on shipping.

Q

Coopmv

Quote from: Que on April 12, 2009, 04:54:34 AM
I don't see much to complain about.
I guess you don't realise how lucky you are that Amazon.com (proper) offers FREE shipping within the US. And no VAT at MDT, while I presume US customs is vast asleep... (Dutch customs is always vigilant :()

My own shipping is NEVER free...  ::) And $2,98 from a MarketPlace seller is not so bad. If I order an item on MarketPlace at Amazon.co.uk shipping is £1,79 for a CD, that's $2,64. At Amazon.fr it's €3,40, that's $4.87.

Germany is indeed incredibly expensive, Amazon.de MarketPlace charges me a whopping €6, that's $7,92.. ::) But as Novi suggested at jpc's flat shipping rates, fewer larger orders really saves a lot on shipping.

Q

I double-checked with MDT before I placed all those orders, as I would not want to pay any duties at the US Customs.  Otherwise, what I save on the CD's end up eating up by shipping and duties.  To be sure, the contents of all shipments are declared on a sticker on the bottom of the box.  It is never clear to me whether MDT paid the duties or the purchase has to exceed certain $ amount before any duties kick in ...