On-line Stores & Sellers

Started by Expresso, July 02, 2007, 09:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 dB

Quote from: Que on April 12, 2009, 04:54:34 AM
$2,98 from a MarketPlace seller is not so bad.

Amazon.com Marketplace charges $6.89 for shipping to Europe. That is not cheap.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

The new erato

Quote from: Renfield on March 20, 2009, 04:45:12 PM

Re the speed, just imagine that the Blomstedt Bruckner 7th, sent from Japan with minimal shipping, almost reached me before a package sent by my mother with the equivalent of first-class mail from Greece, three days before the Blomstedt was dispatched. That's not bad at all!
I'm not very surprised that Japanese and Greek efficiency differs somewhat.....

nut-job

Quote from: 71 dB on April 12, 2009, 05:53:42 AM
Amazon.com Marketplace charges $6.89 for shipping to Europe. That is not cheap.

Shipping between the UK and US is very efficient.  To the continent much less so.  MDT charges less than 2 pounds per CD.  Amazon.de charges 14 Euro for any shipment to the US.  Australia to the US is also cheap.

71 dB

Quote from: nut-job on April 12, 2009, 11:48:22 PM
Shipping between the UK and US is very efficient.

Sure it is but what does it help when you live in Finland?

Sometimes US marketplace offers items at so much lower price that it makes sense to order overseas. Almost all of my marketplace purchases are done from UK site, even if the seller is in US.

Yes, Amazon.de has insane shipping costs.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

George

Anyone know what the actual (approximate) shipping cost to send one CD to Russia from the US? Does it cost any more than sending to the UK?

nut-job

Quote from: George on April 13, 2009, 04:54:24 AM
Anyone know what the actual (approximate) shipping cost to send one CD to Russia from the US? Does it cost any more than sending to the UK?

My understanding is that shipping to Russia is problematic because things tend not to arrive.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: nut-job on April 13, 2009, 06:41:57 AM
My understanding is that shipping to Russia is problematic because things tend not to arrive.

While true, it also depends how it was sent. If there is some sort of tracking number, then it is likely to get through. But customs can also be a pain (with time, money or both). Either way, it is a hassle.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: nut-job on April 13, 2009, 06:41:57 AM

I've ordered about 10 times from Amazon UK and every time it's gotten to me with no obvious problems. It does tend to take a week or so longer than their projections to arrive, though.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

George

Thanks guys. I guess I'll guess a tracking number.  :-\

Any idea how much extra that costs?

Maciek

You should also take into consideration where exactly you're shipping to. I understand Spitvalve's experience reflects how things work for Moscow which is, practically, a country-within-a-country. Things might be completely different with other destinations. Also, I'm not 100% sure if a tracking number actually does facilitate anything. If the person you're mailing to is a foreigner or isn't "registered" at the address you will be using, there might be a problem with that. It's probably safest to check all this with the person you want to surprise. ;D

[FWIW, a few years ago I sent a number of packages, without a tracking number, to a mid-size provincial town and they all arrived (though it took them quite a while). And as far as ordinary letters go, I've never had a problem either.]

Coopmv

Quote from: Elgarian on June 03, 2009, 06:18:30 AM
At least an extra hour or two I should think.

I generally receive my MDT orders 5 to 7 business days after I have received my "Order Dispatched" emails from MDT.  When I ordered the 60-CD Harnoncourt Bach Cantatas set along with a few other CD's back in late January, MDT expedited the order due to the dollar value (close to $200) that I actually received the package in 2 business days and I had to sign for the package as well ...   

Elgarian

Quote from: Coopmv on June 03, 2009, 04:55:57 PMI actually received the package in 2 business days and I had to sign for the package as well ...    

That's certainly remarkable!

Coopmv

Quote from: Elgarian on June 04, 2009, 12:11:38 PM
I'd just like to say, on behalf of the United Kingdom, how grateful we are for your donation purchase.

While we're counting your money (we haven't seen any money for some time, having been giving so much of it away to finance our members of parliament's expenses) I'll say a word about them....

I have placed some 30 orders with MDT since the beginning of this year and each order has averaged 7-8 CD's.  I get email from MDT just about every 2-3 days.     ;D

Elgarian

Quote from: Coopmv on June 04, 2009, 05:45:02 PM
I have placed some 30 orders with MDT since the beginning of this year and each order has averaged 7-8 CD's.  I get email from MDT just about every 2-3 days.     ;D

You may be almost singlehandedly keeping us afloat.

Coopmv

Quote from: Elgarian on June 04, 2009, 11:19:01 PM
You may be almost singlehandedly keeping us afloat.

When I recognize excellent service by a vendor, I stick with the vendor, especially when the latter also offers great prices.  Of the few hundred CD's I have purchased from MDT to date, only 2 or 3 arrived with busted jewel cases.  I suspect these jewel cases were busted when they were shipped from the suppliers to MDT and since the busted jewel cases were still in cellophane, they were not easy to detect.  All CD's from MDT are meticulously wrapped in bubble-wraps before they are placed in a cardbox for shipping to the US.  I have lost my patience with most US e-tailers.  While some have great prices, they treat their shipments as afterthought.  It has been rare for me to receive CD's from US e-tailers without busted CD cases.  So long as the exchange rate does not work against me, I will continue to shop at MDT ...    0:)

Brian

I always try to post NaxosDirect news on here - we had a big discussion about what to buy from the $2.99 sale a while ago...  :)

Coopmv

Quote from: Brian on July 02, 2009, 10:07:16 PM
I always try to post NaxosDirect news on here - we had a big discussion about what to buy from the $2.99 sale a while ago...  :)

$2.99 per disc download?

George

Just got this email:

Classical Music Superstore has partnered with NaxosDirect to bring you even more special offers and discounts.

For the next 30 days, if you shop on NaxosDirect.com you will receive 5% off your order. Please enter the code CMS_5 in the coupon section at checkout to redeem. As always, if you order 5 or more items, shipping is free (multi-disc sets count toward the 5!).

In addition, if you subscribe to the weekly newsletter by entering your email address on the www.NaxosDirect.com home page, you will receive $2.50 off your next order. The weekly newsletter keeps you informed of all sales, exclusives and new release preorder specials.

Take advantage of our current offer: 25% off entire site, including AudioBooks, Blu-Ray, DVD and CDs as we celebrate Indie-pendence. Sale ends July 10, 2009.

Thank you again for shopping with NaxosDirect and Classical Music Superstore.

George

Also, I just called HBDirect to get more info about how they do business. They told me a few things that I was curious about:

1. They only sell new CDs

2. Shipping is $4.50 for the first CD, additional CDs are .50. They ship incomplete orders and will not charge anything extra to make multiple shipments. They do not charge until they ship.

2. Not everything on their site is necessarily available. They try to get it form the distributor and if they can't, they send an email within 9-10 days.

Their customer service, over the phone, with no "on-hold" waiting time, is excellent.  

Coopmv

Quote from: George on July 03, 2009, 05:39:36 AM
Also, I just called HBDirect to get more info about how they do business. They told me a few things that I was curious about:

1. They only sell new CDs

2. Shipping is $4.50 for the first CD, additional CDs are .50. They ship incomplete orders and will not charge anything extra to make multiple shipments. They do not charge until they ship.

2. Not everything on their site is necessarily available. They try to get it form the distributor and if they can't, they send an email within 9-10 days.

Their customer service, over the phone, with no "on-hold" waiting time, is excellent.  

George, Morning.  Sounds like an excellent alternative to BRO, whose search function is not one of the easier to use.  With the relentless rise of the Pound against the Dollar, MDT no longer has much price advantage over some of the US based e-tailers ...