On-line Stores & Sellers

Started by Expresso, July 02, 2007, 09:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Wanderer

Quote from: Lethe on July 23, 2009, 08:05:10 AM
Just confirming what a great source Hyperion's own website is for purchasing. I bought a disc discounted in their clearance bin by over 50%, and despite being under £5, it still qualified for free shipping. In addition to that they shipped it first class in a corrugated cardboard sleeve inside a bubble mailer, rendering it superbly protected. It was sealed as well. Service like this is very customer-friendly, and their frequent sales, discounts on bulk orders and free shipping make the label not as expensive as it once had the reputation for being. Good on them, and hopefully they will recieve a lot of support from customers.

I have nothing but positive things to say about Hyperion's website ordering service, as well. They pack meticulously, the discs are always sealed and everything arrives in pristine condition.

Jpc.de, on the contrary, may not always be the best of packers (the boxes they use are somewhat flimsy and they almost always arrive in a seemingly dilapidated state - not to the detriment of the discs inside, though, which are protected by huge quantities of white foamy plastic pebbles) but I was impressed today by their quick delivery; they shipped a big box on Monday and it arrived this morning by courier. Considering the meagre flat rate they charge for p & p, this made a very favourable impression.

Elgarian

Quote from: Lethe on July 23, 2009, 08:05:10 AM
In addition to that they shipped it first class in a corrugated cardboard sleeve inside a bubble mailer, rendering it superbly protected. It was sealed as well.

When you order a few things from Hyperion, they come in a little cardboard box, very carefully packed and protected internally, and sealed with extravagant quantities of tape, expertly applied. Opening one of these boxes keeps me usefully occupied between successive new lists of bottom ten offers.

Lethevich

Quote from: Wanderer on July 23, 2009, 09:58:39 AM
Jpc.de, on the contrary, may not always be the best of packers (the boxes they use are somewhat flimsy and they almost always arrive in a seemingly dilapidated state - not to the detriment of the discs inside, though, which are protected by huge quantities of white foamy plastic pebbles) but I was impressed today by their quick delivery; they shipped a big box on Monday and it arrived this morning by courier. Considering the meagre flat rate they charge for p & p, this made a very favourable impression.

Interestingly, my experience mirrors yours to the letter. The JPC package arrived startlingly quickly, and while the foam beads stopped the CDs rattling around, because they were poured on top (rather than the CDs being in the middle of them) their protective qualities were somewhat compromised. And the box was indeed quite beaten up, but the CDs themselves in good order.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Renfield

On the general topic of online stores, after breaching the 'ca. 2000 disc' mark a while ago (I won't say 'how's that for a teenager-plus-two', because it's not my money I'm generally spending ;)), I've put the purchasing on hold, with the main exception being offers from online stores.

I'm placing my first CD order since the time we did the Edinburgh GMG meet-up on Monday, it mostly being a bunch of Chandos discs (due to the MDT offer). So it would seem online stores are a handy way to pace one's purchases, if one isn't in a hurry to listen to something.

(And I suspect Elgarian isn't doing something entirely dissimilar with Hyperion.)

Re packaging, I'm quite taken with the near-cubic boxes MDT uses - they're, out of lack of a better word, 'cute'. And highly useful for storage!

71 dB

Quote from: Henk on July 20, 2009, 10:35:58 AM
I'll get a creditcard. Didn't know it's possible to restrict the amount of money on a credit card. That's a big advantage for me. If someone steals money from my credit card they can't steal much money.

If someone uses your credit card, you inform your credit card company about it. The card is terminated and your losses and compensated.

The more you pay for the card the more you will be given credit. I have the lowest possible limit (800 euros).
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Elgarian

Quote from: Renfield on July 25, 2009, 05:59:55 AM
(And I suspect Elgarian isn't doing something entirely dissimilar with Hyperion.)

Indeed, Elgarian is still trying to get into the last Hyperion box that arrived. An unexpectedly effective way to reduce spending.

Henk

Quote from: 71 dB on July 25, 2009, 06:33:37 AM
If someone uses your credit card, you inform your credit card company about it. The card is terminated and your losses and compensated.

The more you pay for the card the more you will be given credit. I have the lowest possible limit (800 euros).

Thanks for this information! I had to know this earlier (stupid bank employees had to tell me this when I asked them how to pay safely on internet  >:().

Ordered a credit card (MasterCard Classic). Hopefully they send it quickly.

Henk

Solitary Wanderer

I've just started having a problem on Amazon when I hit 'one click purchase' where the browser timer thing just goes round and round and the order doesn't go through. If I relaunch the website then I can order one thing before it happens again.

Is it my IE browser and do I need to clean something out 'cookies?' or is Amazon overloaded or something?

Its never happened before and I'm concerned about multiple orders.

TIA  :)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Elgarian

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on July 31, 2009, 12:45:49 PM
I've just started having a problem on Amazon when I hit 'one click purchase' where the browser timer thing just goes round and round and the order doesn't go through. If I relaunch the website then I can order one thing before it happens again.

Is it my IE browser and do I need to clean something out 'cookies?' or is Amazon overloaded or something?

Its never happened before and I'm concerned about multiple orders.

TIA  :)

I've noticed this sort of thing happening increasingly often - not with ordering on Amazon, for me, but with logging into my Paypal account, and with posting on certain forums like this one at times.

It's certainly worth clearing out all your cookies and temporary internet files - that's the simplest thing to try in the first instance.

The second thing to try is a different browser. I quite often find that when IE is messing about, Firefox works better - or vice versa.

A third thing to try is to change your IP address. In my case I can do this by disconnecting from the internet through my router, waiting a few seconds, and then reconnecting. In my case I get assigned a new IP address (it depends on your ISP whether this happens for you). Quite often a new IP address will completely solve my problem. Sometimes it might take a couple of tries (ie two or three IP addresses until a 'good' one is found). I don't understand the reason, but I assume that somewhere between me and the problematic server, there's a log jam. Changing my IP address may mean that the log jam is bypassed. Whatever the real reason, all I know is that it usually works for me.

Coopmv

Quote from: Bogey on August 02, 2009, 04:35:10 AM
Thanks Novi.  I really liked what I heard in the Kuijken.  The Forster did not get a fair shake here, but at least there are two I have enjoyed through sampling (the other the Herreweghe).  However, fun to have someone new for Bach on the shelf.

Bill,

Morning.  Have you ever ordered from JPC?  I have never bought any CD's from continental European e-tailers.  I heard the shipping cost to the US can be quite high.  I once paid just under $30 for shipping when I bought that mammoth 60-CD Harnoncourt Bach Cantatas set along with a few other CD singles.  But that was understandable since the package was on the heavy side and MDT had it delivered in 2 days and required signature on delivery since it was a high dollar value order ...

Que

Quote from: Coopmv on August 02, 2009, 04:46:35 AM

Bill,

Morning.  Have you ever ordered from JPC?  I have never bought any CD's from continental European e-tailers.  I heard the shipping cost to the US can be quite high.  I once paid just under $30 for shipping when I bought that mammoth 60-CD Harnoncourt Bach Cantatas set along with a few other CD singles.  But that was understandable since the package was on the heavy side and MDT had it delivered in 2 days and required signature on delivery since it was a high dollar value order ...

I'm obviously not Bill, but jpc charges flat rates for shipping, the rate for the US is 13 EUR.

Q

Coopmv

Quote from: Elgarian on August 05, 2009, 03:19:19 AM
Yes it is. My mistake.

Any good suggestions for good values at Presto Classical?  MDT is the ONLY European e-tailer I have made any purchases from ...

Elgarian

Quote from: Coopmv on August 05, 2009, 04:09:01 PM

Any good suggestions for good values at Presto Classical?  MDT is the ONLY European e-tailer I have made any purchases from ...

Looks like someone spliced this onto a different thread.

Well, I intend to buy some of the Naive Vivaldi operas from PrestoClassical while their sale is on. Their 20% off price seems lower than any others I can find. Haven't decided yet which ones to go for. There's no hurry as the sale is on till September.

Coopmv

Quote from: Elgarian on July 23, 2009, 01:27:52 PM
When you order a few things from Hyperion, they come in a little cardboard box, very carefully packed and protected internally, and sealed with extravagant quantities of tape, expertly applied. Opening one of these boxes keeps me usefully occupied between successive new lists of bottom ten offers.

Folks at MDT always do a superb packaging job.  Any damages to the jewel cases (fewer than 5) after I have ordered a few hundred CD's from MDT since late last year were no doubt "hidden" damages that occurred during shipments from the distributors to MDT, which MDT folks really could not see anyway.  Packaging from US e-tailers is a hit-or-miss affair and it is rare that I receive an order without at least one cracked CD case ...   :(

Fëanor

Quote from: Coopmv on August 08, 2009, 07:05:23 PM
...  Packaging from US e-tailers is a hit-and-miss affair and it is rare that I receive an order without at least one cracked CD case ...   :(

Yes, true enough.  But for me a small crack or chip isn't a bit deal because I immediately rip the CD to a computer file and play it from there.  Small damage is no big deal if the jewel case is going to sit undisturbed on the shelf.  A problem is SACDs which must be physically played (at least for multichannel or stereo DSD).  And whereas a standard empty CD case can bought for a few cents if it's necessary to replace a broken one, SACD cases are a different style that I haven't seen sold separately

I don't read the booklets as often as I ought to, but if I did, I'd remove them from the cases and file them file them in separate, more compact filing cases.

Coopmv

Quote from: Feanor on August 09, 2009, 06:35:11 AM
Yes, true enough.  But for me a small crack or chip isn't a bit deal because I immediately rip the CD to a computer file and play it from there.  Small damage is no big deal if the jewel case is going to sit undisturbed on the shelf.  A problem is SACDs which must be physically played (at least for multichannel or stereo DSD).  And whereas a standard empty CD case can bought for a few cents if it's necessary to replace a broken one, SACD cases are a different style that I haven't seen sold separately

I don't read the booklets as often as I ought to, but if I did, I'd remove them from the cases and file them file them in separate, more compact filing cases.

SACD jewel cases are available.  I bought a supply of them a few months ago.

Brian

Attention Twitter users: Follow NaxosDirect's account. Every week there's a giveaway of some sort - I just got a free copy of their new CD of world premieres by Michael Daugherty, signed by the composer.  8)

Novi

I just wanted to put in a good word for PrestoClassics.

A package I ordered went missing, but I didn't realise until about a month afterwards as I'd been away (I had it delivered to a friend's). Presto immediately sent a replacement, first class registered post. When this hadn't arrived after some 10 days, I called again to check up; records showed that the package was still en route but Presto suggested that if it still hadn't arrived by the following week, they would send it again through DHL. As it happened, the CDs arrived after 2 weeks (if this was first class, I hate to think what cattle class delivery's like - take a bow, Royal Mail ::)), but a big thumbs up to Presto for handling the situation most efficiently and helpfully. :)
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

Que

Quote from: Novi on September 12, 2009, 06:08:03 AM

A package I ordered went missing, but I didn't realise until about a month afterwards as I'd been away (I had it delivered to a friend's). Presto immediately sent a replacement, first class registered post. When this hadn't arrived after some 10 days, I called again to check up; records showed that the package was still en route but Presto suggested that if it still hadn't arrived by the following week, they would send it again through DHL. As it happened, the CDs arrived after 2 weeks (if this was first class, I hate to think what cattle class delivery's like - take a bow, Royal Mail ::)), but a big thumbs up to Presto for handling the situation most efficiently and helpfully. :)

The story also shows that DHL's service sucks! :o  I've had bad experiences with them several times. It annoyed me that much that I now try to avoid any seller that uses DHL...

Give me regular postal services ANY time!

Q

Coopmv

Quote from: Novi on September 12, 2009, 06:08:03 AM

I am willing to give PrestoClassics a try.  It is now running some great sales on Harmonia Mundi.  I have noticed a number of forum members shop at Presto often.  The only European e-tailer I have used to date is MDT, which has been excellent after a few thousands dollars worth of purchases since the beginning of this year ...