On-line Stores & Sellers

Started by Expresso, July 02, 2007, 09:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coopmv

Quote from: Lethe on October 26, 2009, 08:13:07 PM
Same - I had to get a friend in Canada to ship something to me when I bought from the CA site. Damn those crypto-fascists trying to prevent us from getting good deals!

Japanese audio manufacturers have been doing the same for years - they release certain models only for the European market or the domestic market.

Brian

Classicsonline (download site) went down a few weeks ago during a major promotion - their server was overloaded with people trying to buy it.

Today I got this email:

Dear Valued Customer,

The overwhelming response to our '88 Tracks' promotion was just that - overwhelming. Our records indicate that you attempted to purchase and were not able to complete the transaction. You can try again now by clicking here.

I've always been super-impressed with Naxos' customer service. What a great company.

SonicMan46

MDT Disappointment!  I do most of my CD shopping online using a variety of different places, both in the USA (e.g. Amazon, Marketplace, BRO, etc.) and 'across the pond', mainly MDT - I've made many purchases from the latter and have been up until today thoroughly impressed w/ their service and some great deals on box sets!

Well, my most recent order arrived today which included the Glazunov Symphony 1-3,9 2-CD slim jewel box set w/ Serebrier - as usual, the package was well done w/ nice wrapping of the 4 items included; however the purchase mentioned was not 'shrunk-wrapped' in plastic and the 2nd disc had two areas of some type of material adherent to the surface.

I knew the disc would not play at those sites and attempted some gentle cleaning (just detergent & warm water w/ a CD cloth) - some of the material was removed but the disc skipped on track 4 which I assume was the site of the deposits!

Bottom line for me - I was sent a 'used' set w/ a damaged disc that was not inspected at MDT - pretty poor, esp. for someone that has likely spent hundreds of bucks in the last year or more w/ them!  Sent an e-mail, so shall await their response - I'm confident that they will come through, but whoever packaged that box should be put on the rack!  ;) ;D

Scarpia

Quote from: SonicMan on December 22, 2009, 01:53:12 PM
MDT Disappointment!  I do most of my CD shopping online using a variety of different places, both in the USA (e.g. Amazon, Marketplace, BRO, etc.) and 'across the pond', mainly MDT - I've made many purchases from the latter and have been up until today thoroughly impressed w/ their service and some great deals on box sets!

Well, my most recent order arrived today which included the Glazunov Symphony 1-3,9 2-CD slim jewel box set w/ Serebrier - as usual, the package was well done w/ nice wrapping of the 4 items included; however the purchase mentioned was not 'shrunk-wrapped' in plastic and the 2nd disc had two areas of some type of material adherent to the surface.

I knew the disc would not play at those sites and attempted some gentle cleaning (just detergent & warm water w/ a CD cloth) - some of the material was removed but the disc skipped on track 4 which I assume was the site of the deposits!

Bottom line for me - I was sent a 'used' set w/ a damaged disc that was not inspected at MDT - pretty poor, esp. for someone that has likely spent hundreds of bucks in the last year or more w/ them!  Sent an e-mail, so shall await their response - I'm confident that they will come through, but whoever packaged that box should be put on the rack!  ;) ;D

In Europe new discs are not always shrink wrapped.  I think it is extremely likely the disc you were sent was new stock which got contaminated at the factory or somewhere down the distribution chain.  I expect MDT will offer a replacement with no trouble (although their web site says they are closed for holiday break until the new year).

Coopmv

Quote from: Scarpia on December 22, 2009, 02:04:49 PM
In Europe new discs are not always shrink wrapped.  I think it is extremely likely the disc you were sent was new stock which got contaminated at the factory or somewhere down the distribution chain.  I expect MDT will offer a replacement with no trouble (although their web site says they are closed for holiday break until the new year).

I purchased close to 1000 CD's so far this year and most were from MDT.  I did received two CD's that were not shrink-wrapped but they played just fine, though I could not tell if they were used CD's or not since their conditions were good, i.e. no noticeable scuff marks.  I never bothered to email them about the incidences.  I do have to return one CD from the Barbirolli's Sibelius set which is defective but will not do so until after Christmas since MDT office will be closed shortly for holidays until 1/4 anyway.  I was told to send the CD back with a note indicating the location of the defect and they will order for me a replacement CD and give me credit for the return airmail.  I have been generally quite happy with MDT service.  I also tried Presto Classic and it too is a pleasure to do busines with.  I particularly like their quotes for shipping in USD, which is independent of the latest dollar/pound exchange rate.

Scarpia

The following appears on the MDT web site (return policy)

QuotePlease note: MDT is aware that some items will be delivered without shrink wrap due to the standard music manufacturing processes in their country of origin.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Scarpia on December 22, 2009, 03:44:16 PM
The following appears on the MDT web site (return policy)

Thanks Guys - I was aware of the 'shrink wrap' situation in other countries, so was not worried initially until inspecting that 2nd disc; however, in the absence of a 'shrink wrap', one may not be sure if the product is indeed 'fresh' or 'used'?  I have great trust in MDT, and assume that they will resolve my complaint to my satisfaction.

I've just received a number (now, just a few) of products from shippers (mainly the Amazon Marketplace) which were claimed to be 'new', but obviously had been opened and w/ food stains, fingerprints, etc. on the discs.

Now, I don't put MDT in this category @ all - I expect full satisfaction from them - Dave  :D

Coopmv

I lost the 2-DVD set on Bach St Matthew Passion by Ton Koopman, courtesy of USPS.  The Amazon MarketPlace vendor promptly refunded my credit card after the target date that was given to me.  So my experience with that merchant remains untarnished.

SonicMan46

Quote from: SonicMan on December 22, 2009, 03:59:39 PM
Thanks Guys - I was aware of the 'shrink wrap' situation in other countries, so was not worried initially until inspecting that 2nd disc; however, in the absence of a 'shrink wrap', one may not be sure if the product is indeed 'fresh' or 'used'?  I have great trust in MDT, and assume that they will resolve my complaint to my satisfaction.

I've just received a number (now, just a few) of products from shippers (mainly the Amazon Marketplace) which were claimed to be 'new', but obviously had been opened and w/ food stains, fingerprints, etc. on the discs.

Now, I don't put MDT in this category @ all - I expect full satisfaction from them - Dave  :D

Just a quick follow-up on the above issue; took 3 e-mails but finally received a response - mailed the damaged discs back to them, and was refunded both for the original cost & my shipping - quite satisfied - indeed, put in an order w/ them for 8 more CD(s) -  ;D

Coopmv

Quote from: SonicMan on January 26, 2010, 03:25:47 PM
Just a quick follow-up on the above issue; took 3 e-mails but finally received a response - mailed the damaged discs back to them, and was refunded both for the original cost & my shipping - quite satisfied - indeed, put in an order w/ them for 8 more CD(s) -  ;D

MDT is getting me a replacement CD for this set and gave me credit for the return postage.  The last three tracks were practically unplayable on my desktop CD/DVD drive and the last track was unplayable on my Sony ES changer, which normally is quite good at errors correction ...

Brian

Barnes & Noble decided not to ship the new Naxos CD I got my mom for her birthday because "the release date has been changed." Of course, my contacts at Naxos tell me that there has been no change to the release date. Last time I ever preorder anything from Barnes & Noble.

Coopmv

Quote from: Brian on January 27, 2010, 07:27:29 AM
Barnes & Noble decided not to ship the new Naxos CD I got my mom for her birthday because "the release date has been changed." Of course, my contacts at Naxos tell me that there has been no change to the release date. Last time I ever preorder anything from Barnes & Noble.

Is B&N as financially strapped as Borders?

Wanderer

The first Abeille box arrived yesterday via courrier. It contained two large boxsets and a single CD. I was kind of worried about the state the single disc would be in but Abeille proved to be a most meticulous packer; a sturdy compartmentalized big box, each boxset in its own second box inside (!) and the CD - unscathed -  between thick carton pages. Liberal amounts of Naxos-labeled tape outside, as well.

Scarpia

The Amazon seller Go Hastings shipped me the wrong CD.  I have complained, I will advise whether I receive a satisfactory response.  (On the other hand, $1.60 for a Telarc release is not a great loss.)

Scarpia

Quote from: Scarpia on February 05, 2010, 01:27:29 PM
The Amazon seller Go Hastings shipped me the wrong CD.  I have complained, I will advise whether I receive a satisfactory response.  (On the other hand, $1.60 for a Telarc release is not a great loss.)

Just to update, they offered to refund and didn't require me to return the CD. 

Wanderer

The second Abeille megabox arrived yesterday; like the first one, it came meticulously packaged and with all  its contents in pristine condition.

Scarpia

Quote from: Renfield on February 12, 2010, 07:38:49 AM
Yes, it's definitely not essential at that price. I got it for €15 new, on offer from JPC.

Yes, I remember seeing the same offer, but it wasn't cheap after shipment to the States was included.  It is odd that Germany -> US is vastly more expensive than UK -> US.  Not that there is much incentive to order anything these days.  With the sequential blizzards I haven't had a postal delivery in a week.

Bunny

Quote from: Scarpia on February 12, 2010, 07:48:36 AM
Yes, I remember seeing the same offer, but it wasn't cheap after shipment to the States was included.  It is odd that Germany -> US is vastly more expensive than UK -> US.  Not that there is much incentive to order anything these days.  With the sequential blizzards I haven't had a postal delivery in a week.

German postal service doesn't handle international package delivery.  They have subcontracted that to DHL which is independent and not cheap.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Opus106 on February 13, 2010, 09:13:19 AM

Mozart: Complete Keyboard Works (one and two performers) - 14 CDs
Bart van Oort
Brilliant Classics

Until Feb. 7 Abeille Musique offered it around EUR 13 or so.  :o But that's history now.