On-line Stores & Sellers

Started by Expresso, July 02, 2007, 09:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Scarpia on March 10, 2010, 07:25:18 AM
Is my impression correct that you live in New York state?  In New York state you have to self-report all on-line purchases on your state income tax and pay sales tax anyway.  I wonder how many people actually do that.

Amazon already charges sales tax in New York.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Daverz

Is my impression correct that you live in New York state?  In New York state you have to self-report all on-line purchases on your state income tax and pay sales tax anyway.  I wonder how many people actually do that.

California also requires it on their state income tax returns.

SonicMan46

Not certain but I suspect that is true for many states - in North Carolina, called the 'use tax' (described HERE; thus, residents of this state should pay sales tax on all out-of-state purchases (for me, CDs, books, & wine are the main items) - I would need to keep tract of all of these purchases, then calculate the appropriate sales tax and put that amount into my tax returns.  The main exception would be for stores that have a 'physical presence' in the state and would charge you the sales tax, but I've dealt w/ few of those merchants online.   :)

Coopmv

I thought people who live in NYS pay sales tax to their e-tailers.  I work in NYC but do not live in NYS ...

SonicMan46

Today, my first BAD shipping experience from MDT across the pond to me in North Carolina - small box w/ about 6 discs (5 in jewel boxes) - 4 of the jewel boxes were broken in various ways!  Now I had plenty of 'jewel box parts'  for replacements, and the discs all look fine so not worried about each playing.

But interestingly, the CDs were packaged as usual by MDT, i.e. 2-3 wrapped in bubble wrap and packed neatly and tightly into the box - I'm assuming that these jewel boxes were in perfect shape when put together in England by MDT - believe the problem was on the way here - package probably dropped, thrown, etc. busting the plastic parts - decided not to make a complaint to MDT since the 'middle men' were probably the fault.  Dave  :-\

Coopmv

Quote from: SonicMan on March 24, 2010, 04:25:23 PM
Today, my first BAD shipping experience from MDT across the pond to me in North Carolina - small box w/ about 6 discs (5 in jewel boxes) - 4 of the jewel boxes were broken in various ways!  Now I had plenty of 'jewel box parts'  for replacements, and the discs all look fine so not worried about each playing.

But interestingly, the CDs were packaged as usual by MDT, i.e. 2-3 wrapped in bubble wrap and packed neatly and tightly into the box - I'm assuming that these jewel boxes were in perfect shape when put together in England by MDT - believe the problem was on the way here - package probably dropped, thrown, etc. busting the plastic parts - decided not to make a complaint to MDT since the 'middle men' were probably the fault.  Dave  :-\

While the MDT packaging is first rate, there are just many ways the USPS can bust a package.  I have all but given up on Amazon US.  I can count on average 50% of each order from Amazon US arrives with busted CD jewel cases due to a combination of poor packaging and poor handling by the USPS ...

Manos

Crotchet uses packaging that has yet to let me down. While this article refers to shipping books, the packaging method looks identical to Crotchet's packaging. (See Figure 2 on that page.)

Daverz

After probably 100s of CDs delivered without problems, I just got an order from MDT that was destroyed, the CD itself bent beyond playability.  But it was Royal Mail (it came in a Royal Mail "We are sorry" baggie) that did the damage, not USPS.

Scarpia

If you are going to send something through the mail you have to accept the small but finite chance that it will be lost or destroyed.  It is a cost vs performance trade-off.  If your CD is really priceless irreplaceable, then spend $20 bucks to FedEx it, rather than $1.50 to send it through the mail.  Or better yet, hand deliver it on a soft pillow.

Coopmv

Quote from: Daverz on March 29, 2010, 02:09:21 PM
After probably 100s of CDs delivered without problems, I just got an order from MDT that was destroyed, the CD itself bent beyond playability.  But it was Royal Mail (it came in a Royal Mail "We are sorry" baggie) that did the damage, not USPS.

You get no apology from USPS, period.   ::)

Lethevich

Just a note that this month, Hyperion's website has a "please, somebody, buy me..." style sale on its entire English Orpheus series, which it amusingly describes as "what may well have been the least successful, in commercial terms at least, series in the history of recorded music."

Link here!

Dyads and normal discs are half-price, Helios discs have a paltry quid off.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Antoine Marchand

Has somebody bought from the website of the Italian label "Tactus"?

http://www.tactus.biz/store/

:)

Marc

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on May 20, 2010, 02:16:28 PM
Has somebody bought from the website of the Italian label "Tactus"?

http://www.tactus.biz/store/

:)
Nope.

;D

But I do have some organ discs with Liuwe Tamminga .... not sure if they are issued by Tactus though .... have to check it out .... tomorrow that is .... have to get to bed first .... it's late and my futile brains stopped working.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Marc on May 20, 2010, 02:23:26 PM
Nope.

;D

But I do have some organ discs with Liuwe Tamminga .... not sure if they are issued by Tactus though .... have to check it out .... tomorrow that is .... have to get to bed first .... it's late and my futile brains stopped working.

I saw some enticing discs by Tamminga there. But I am principally interested in Frescobaldi/Vartolo.

I would like to know if they are reliable sellers.  :)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on May 20, 2010, 02:29:13 PM
I saw some enticing discs by Tamminga there. But I am principally interested in Frescobaldi/Vartolo.

I would like to know if they are reliable sellers.  :)

Antoine - well, I cannot vouch for them personally - have not used the site; however, I do own a nice Tactus collection (including some licensed for Brilliant), so can recommend the label.  Dave

Brian

Quote from: Lethe on May 03, 2010, 06:32:26 AM
Just a note that this month, Hyperion's website has a "please, somebody, buy me..." style sale on its entire English Orpheus series, which it amusingly describes as "what may well have been the least successful, in commercial terms at least, series in the history of recorded music."

Link here!

Dyads and normal discs are half-price, Helios discs have a paltry quid off.

Oh goodness; the "English Violin Concertos" CD has samples which sound absolutely fabulous. I might need to buy that disc.

Elgarian

Quote from: Brian on May 20, 2010, 02:54:05 PM
Oh goodness; the "English Violin Concertos" CD has samples which sound absolutely fabulous. I might need to buy that disc.
It's a treat. I had a splurge on Thomas Linley recently (I've walked past his house in Bath so many times that I felt I ought to listen to his music), and that disc was one of the few ways of getting to know him.

Coopmv

Quote from: Brian on May 20, 2010, 02:54:05 PM

What kind of shipping and handling costs do we have to pay to have the CD's shipped to the US by Hyperion?  I would think free shipping only applies to UK residents ...

Opus106

Amazon Seeking a Patent for the 1-Nod Technology

It should be fun to watch the Purchases Today thread if and when this is put in place.
Regards,
Navneeth

Lethevich

Quote from: Opus106 on June 05, 2010, 07:28:58 AM
Amazon Seeking a Patent for the 1-Nod Technology

It should be fun to watch the Purchases Today thread if and when this is put in place.
I look forward to the first reports of somebody accidentely buying a TV because they sneezed ;D
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.