On-line Stores & Sellers

Started by Expresso, July 02, 2007, 09:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarpia

Quote from: Lethe on June 05, 2010, 08:57:36 AM
I look forward to the first reports of somebody accidentely buying a TV because they sneezed ;D

I've already patented a new feature; the appearance of a spouse's face over your shoulder automatically clears the screen and replaces is with a search for lawn supplies.

George

Quote from: Opus106 on June 05, 2010, 07:28:58 AM
Amazon Seeking a Patent for the 1-Nod Technology

It should be fun to watch the Purchases Today thread if and when this is put in place.

As protection, I have already bought a neck brace to wear whilst surfing.  ;D

Scarpia

Quote from: George on June 05, 2010, 03:46:12 PM
As protection, I have already bought a neck brace to wear whilst surfing.  ;D

I'm waiting for the first news story, when a 16 wheeler pulls up to deliver 116,387 copies of "The Shawshank Redemption" only to find the resident at his computer, having an epileptic seisure.

George

Quote from: Scarpia on June 05, 2010, 06:46:25 PM
I'm waiting for the first news story, when a 16 wheeler pulls up to deliver 116,387 copies of "The Shawshank Redemption" only to find the resident at his computer, having an epileptic seisure.

;D

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

Mirror Image

I would say that 99.9% of my collection has come from Amazon Marketplace sellers. There are only a few reliable sellers I buy from on Amazon, but I have got some amazing deals and these sellers sell CDs alot cheaper than buying directly from Amazon or any other online store.

Unfortunately, the days of going into a record store and finding something worthwhile, at least for me, are long gone. I have to rely on companies like Amazon to help fill the void.

The new erato

Last time I went into a record store I had more discs than they had.

Mirror Image

Quote from: erato on July 13, 2010, 01:09:31 PM

Lol....I know how sad is that! :D But it's so true. I own around 6,000 or so classical recordings and it seems that every store I've been in for the past 10 years doesn't even have a classical selection worth displaying.

SonicMan46

Quote from: erato on July 13, 2010, 01:09:31 PM

Hi Erato - LOL, too!  ;D

I cannot remember the last time I walked into a 'mortar & brick' music store but the experience was pretty miserable!  :-\

I started to order online in the pre-WWW days (from CDNow as I remembered) - yes, all text based w/o GUI - this dates me back into the 1980s - can't recall - but now nearly ALL of my CD orders are online - use mostly Amazon (mainly the Market Place), MDT, and Berkshire Record Outlet, along w/ several others.

Now, I'm starting to do a few online downloads - yes, for me I'd rather have the disc in hand w/ the liner notes and some type of container, but who knows what will be offered in the future?   :D

Coopmv

Coopmv

My experience over the weekend at J&R, the B&M store I used to shop very frequently in the 80's, was really not bad.  I found this set at a great price.  The set is not even available on Amazon US ...

Scarpia

Quote from: Coopmv on July 13, 2010, 06:37:14 PM
I bet shipping cost is 300% of the CD price.     ;D

7 Euros on my previous order of 40 CDs.

Mirror Image

Daverz

Mirror Image

Quote from: Daverz on July 13, 2010, 07:47:46 PM
Well, somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed...

I'm just saying that just because a CD set isn't offered by Amazon doesn't make them a valuable resource for collectors.

jhar26

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 13, 2010, 01:18:00 PM
Lol....I know how sad is that! :D But it's so true. I own around 6,000 or so classical recordings and it seems that every store I've been in for the past 10 years doesn't even have a classical selection worth displaying.
And it's even worse for jazz. Come to think about it, most stores these days don't even have a pop/rock selection worth displaying. Most sales people there are totally clueless also. Even when you ask for a cd from a well known composer or artist they give you that "what planet are you from?" look.
Martha doesn't signal when the orchestra comes in, she's just pursing her lips.

Mirror Image

Quote from: jhar26 on July 18, 2010, 12:05:01 AM
And it's even worse for jazz. Come to think about it, most stores these days don't even have a pop/rock selection worth displaying. Most sales people there are totally clueless also. Even when you ask for a cd from a well known composer or artist they give you that "what planet are you from?" look.

This is very true sadly as the days of CD stores are over. There are a few specialty CD stores however and I've spoken with some different people about this same issue. Depending on what city you're near, I'm sure there are some people with a good knowledge of classical music. I'm not expecting somebody to know everything I'm talking about, but I think as requirement in order to work in a CD store the employee must pass a musical knowledge test that covers all genres. This will help weed out those who aren't passionate about music.

I actually walked into a CD store about 10 years ago and I asked the sales clerk if he had any recordings of Debussy's La Mer and the guy just looked at me as if I just asked him to give me one of his kidneys. I recall him saying "What is that?" or something to that effect. I just looked at him and said "Are you serious?"  ???

Coopmv

I think B&M music store will continue to exist in some form.  Look no further than J&R Music in NYC, where the music store is just one of a half dozen stores under the J&R name.  When stores like HMV, Tower and Record Hunter have vanished over the past twenty years, J&R Music continues to be in business.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Coopmv on August 14, 2010, 07:38:11 PM
I think B&M music store will continue to exist in some form.  Look no further than J&R Music in NYC, where the music store is just one of a half dozen stores under the J&R name.  When stores like HMV, Tower and Record Hunter have vanished over the past twenty years, J&R Music continues to be in business.

Well J&R are more than just CDs right? Don't they sell audio/video equipment as well?

Bulldog

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 14, 2010, 09:19:09 PM

Well J&R are more than just CDs right? Don't they sell audio/video equipment as well?

A ton of it as well as cell phones, popcorn makers, travel irons, brooms, air conditioners, pens and pencils.  I went to their website and was floored at all the offerings.