On-line Stores & Sellers

Started by Expresso, July 02, 2007, 09:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarpia

What happens when you order from Hyperion's own web site?  I ordered a few of those "somebody buy me" things and after several days no shipping confirmation, no indication on the order status page that anything has been shipped.  Do they take a while to ship?  Do they ship but without giving you an email notice?  Do they just take your money and invest it in Ponzi schemes? 

The new erato

They ship immediately, very reliably but with no separate shipping confirmation. Relax, dude.

Bulldog

Quote from: Scarpia on November 04, 2010, 10:01:40 AM
What happens when you order from Hyperion's own web site?  I ordered a few of those "somebody buy me" things and after several days no shipping confirmation, no indication on the order status page that anything has been shipped.  Do they take a while to ship?  Do they ship but without giving you an email notice?  Do they just take your money and invest it in Ponzi schemes?

How many days since you made your order?

Scarpia

Quote from: erato on November 04, 2010, 10:09:10 AM
They ship immediately, very reliably but with no separate shipping confirmation. Relax, dude.

That's cool.

Quote from: Bulldog on November 04, 2010, 10:14:06 AM
How many days since you made your order?

I think it was Monday, four days.  Not that I'd expect to receive it by now, but I was anticipating a little email that says, "your item has been dispatched."  (In the UK, they don't ship, they "dispatch.")

Bulldog

Quote from: Scarpia on November 04, 2010, 10:23:54 AM
I think it was Monday, four days.  Not that I'd expect to receive it by now, but I was anticipating a little email that says, "your item has been dispatched."  (In the UK, they don't ship, they "dispatch.")

Can't blame a guy for wanting to be kept in the loop, especially when there's money involved.

Brian

The one time I ordered a "someone buy me," I got purchase confirmation and then, since I was in Texas, two weeks of silence passed before one random day the CD finally arrived in the mail. It was the Arriaga/Vorisek symphonies CD, and in the two weeks it took to arrive, the conductor (Charles Mackerras) died.

Scarpia

Quote from: Brian on November 04, 2010, 11:51:35 AM
The one time I ordered a "someone buy me," I got purchase confirmation and then, since I was in Texas, two weeks of silence passed before one random day the CD finally arrived in the mail. It was the Arriaga/Vorisek symphonies CD, and in the two weeks it took to arrive, the conductor (Charles Mackerras) died.

Hmmm, like one of those horror movies where fate marks people for death.  Three sets of performers on death watch.

Brian

Darn it I might buy something: Robert Fuchs' clarinet quintet sounds really tempting.

Scarpia

Quote from: Brian on November 04, 2010, 02:50:20 PM
Darn it I might buy something: Robert Fuchs' clarinet quintet sounds really tempting.

I believe they are early works, but some of the excepts in the Janacek disc sounded really interesting.

Coopmv

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 13, 2010, 12:58:14 PM
I would say that 99.9% of my collection has come from Amazon Marketplace sellers. There are only a few reliable sellers I buy from on Amazon, but I have got some amazing deals and these sellers sell CDs alot cheaper than buying directly from Amazon or any other online store.

Unfortunately, the days of going into a record store and finding something worthwhile, at least for me, are long gone. I have to rely on companies like Amazon to help fill the void.

I no longer buy from ImportCD as often after a series of orders each came with its busted CD jewel case.  In one case, the entire fatboy case was literally crushed, though fortunately no CD's were damaged.  Newbury Comics has a good shipping protection record.  ImportCD just cuts too many corners in packaging IMO.  These days, the lion share of my CD purchases came from MDT or Presto Classical and both package their CD's extremely well.  But the recent strength in pound sterling could be a problem if it continues since I rarely make small purchases ...

The new erato

Quote from: Coopmv on November 04, 2010, 04:39:23 PM
But the recent strength in pound sterling could be a problem if it continues since I rarely make small purchases ...
It's not the pound that is strong, it's the USD that's weak....

Mirror Image

Quote from: Coopmv on November 04, 2010, 04:39:23 PM
I no longer buy from ImportCD as often after a series of orders each came with its busted CD jewel case.  In one case, the entire fatboy case was literally crushed, though fortunately no CD's were damaged.  Newbury Comics has a good shipping protection record.  ImportCD just cuts too many corners in packaging IMO.  These days, the lion share of my CD purchases came from MDT or Presto Classical and both package their CD's extremely well.  But the recent strength in pound sterling could be a problem if it continues since I rarely make small purchases ...

That's the rub I have with ImportCDs as well. They do cut too many corners with packaging, which is why I hardly use them. Newbury Comics is a pretty decent company. I've had a few problems, but usually they provide good service. I usually buy all of my Naxos, Chandos, Ondine recordings from Classical Music Superstore who provide excellent service and fast shipping. Usually if buy 4 or 5 CDs from them at the same time, they package it in a box, which really helps with the protection of the CDs. Another seller I like is Blowitoutofhere. I have had very little problems with them. In the end, it's all a matter of who you buy the CDs from.

Scarpia

Never had any trouble with ImportCD.com, except that once they sent me a PAL DVD even though it was advertised as NTSC.  They refunded with no fuss.

But that order directly from hyperion-records.co.uk still has not arrived.  Order placed Oct 30.  Even with the steep "please buy me" discount, not getting the product takes the fun out of ordering.   :(

(ooops, typo, it was Oct 30, not Oct 10).

Mirror Image

Quote from: Scarpia on November 11, 2010, 06:55:57 AMBut that order directly from hyperion-records.co.uk still has not arrived.  Order placed Oct 10.  Even with the steep "please buy me" discount, not getting the product takes the fun out of ordering.   :(

I seldom buy CDs from overseas. I have bought from Amazon UK, but buying there is like buying from the main Amazon site, so never had any problems with orders not being delivered. Ordering from the UK does take a little while though as opposed to buying in US, but if the price is right, I'm willing to wait a week or so.

Daverz

Quote from: erato on November 04, 2010, 11:54:56 PM
It's not the pound that is strong, it's the USD that's weak....

Here's the 5-year trend for GBP/USD:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=GBPUSD=X&t=5y&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=

Today's $1.61/GBP is still a pretty good rate compared to the $2 plateau of a couple years ago.  Still lots of good deals on MDT.  The Yen/USD rate sucks, though.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=USDJPY=X&t=5y&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=

Scarpia

Quote from: Daverz on November 11, 2010, 09:21:54 AM
Here's the 5-year trend for GBP/USD:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=GBPUSD=X&t=5y&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=

Today's $1.61/GBP is still a pretty good rate compared to the $2 plateau of a couple years ago.  Still lots of good deals on MDT.  The Yen/USD rate sucks, though.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=USDJPY=X&t=5y&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=

A new release from Hyperion costs $20 plus shipping on Amazon, 14 pounds plus shipping on Hyperion's own web site, and 8.50 pounds plus shipping on mdt.  So much for the efficient market theory.  Too bad there is no way to do arbitrage on Hyperion CDs.  If you could buy a million copies and sell a million copies in Derbyshire UK and Portland OR, you could make a mint!

Coopmv

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 11, 2010, 07:00:48 AM

I seldom buy CDs from overseas. I have bought from Amazon UK, but buying there is like buying from the main Amazon site, so never had any problems with orders not being delivered. Ordering from the UK does take a little while though as opposed to buying in US, but if the price is right, I'm willing to wait a week or so.

I have had some pretty good deals from Amazon UK.  I got both Richter - Pianist of the Century and the Karajan Symphony Edition boxes at great promotional prices before Amazon US even stocked the titles ...

Mirror Image

Quote from: Coopmv on November 13, 2010, 07:48:33 PM
I have had some pretty good deals from Amazon UK.  I got both Richter - Pianist of the Century and the Karajan Symphony Edition boxes at great promotional prices before Amazon US even stocked the titles ...

Same here. I got some good deals on Amazon UK. It's also interesting to note that Amazon UK carries titles that the regular Amazon site doesn't carry. I bought both of Andrew Davis' RVW and Elgar sets over on the UK site for great prices.

Coopmv

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 13, 2010, 07:52:30 PM

Same here. I got some good deals on Amazon UK. It's also interesting to note that Amazon UK carries titles that the regular Amazon site doesn't carry. I bought both of Andrew Davis' RVW and Elgar sets over on the UK site for great prices.

I got some extremely good deals at Presto Classical and MDT for sets that would have cost me $20 or $30 more had I bought them from US based etailers.  The 60-CD Complete Bach Cantatas set by Harnoncourt and a few other CD's cost me a little over $200 with shipping.  The same set would have cost me at some $150 more, go figure.  I was somewhat hesitant in ordering overseas initially for obvious reasons ...

The new erato

Quote from: Coopmv on November 13, 2010, 08:01:28 PM
I was somewhat hesitant in ordering overseas initially for obvious reasons ...
????