On-line Stores & Sellers

Started by Expresso, July 02, 2007, 09:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coopmv

Quote from: Brian on December 31, 2010, 07:42:29 AM
Hyperion just sent me a disc.

It was sent from London postcode SE9 to me, in London postcode E1. There is a By Air Mail sticker affixed.
:P

Starting tomorrow, the VAT goes up to 20% in the UK ...

:o

Daverz

Scarpia

Hmmm, a recent order to Newbury Comics was canceled without explanation.   ???

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Scarpia on January 06, 2011, 12:44:31 PM
Hmmm, a recent order to Newbury Comics was canceled without explanation.   ???

Very strange. I just got something from them week-before-last... :-\

Any experience with this boatload of Brits selling to US on the Marketplace now? I have a couple orders to try them out, haven't received anything from any of them yet, including a reply to my query. I wonder at their business model. Their prices are great, although you can charge anything if you aren't going to deliver.

I use an AM seller in Germany called  "medimops" (yes, really), and in 10-12 orders have had excellent results. And they don't take more than a couple of days longer than in-country dealers. Makes me wonder about that lot of Brits.... :-\

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Scarpia

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 06, 2011, 12:56:26 PM
Very strange. I just got something from them week-before-last... :-\

Any experience with this boatload of Brits selling to US on the Marketplace now? I have a couple orders to try them out, haven't received anything from any of them yet, including a reply to my query. I wonder at their business model. Their prices are great, although you can charge anything if you aren't going to deliver.

I use an AM seller in Germany called  "medimops" (yes, really), and in 10-12 orders have had excellent results. And they don't take more than a couple of days longer than in-country dealers. Makes me wonder about that lot of Brits.... :-\

8)

Placed a few orders with vendors matching matching that description (UK based) and they are slow to deliver, but things arrived eventually.

I've dealt with Newbury before with no difficulties.  I know they have their own web site so it is possible the item in question was already sold, but I would have expected the courtesy of an explanation.   :-\

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Scarpia on January 06, 2011, 01:07:01 PM
Placed a few orders with vendors matching matching that description (UK based) and they are slow to deliver, but things arrived eventually.

I've dealt with Newbury before with no difficulties.  I know they have their own web site so it is possible the item in question was already sold, but I would have expected the courtesy of an explanation.   :-\

Yeah, I never had them do what happened to you. Of course, there are some rather coarse elements in the Greater Boston area... :-\

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Brian

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 06, 2011, 01:26:07 PM
Yeah, I never had them do what happened to you. Of course, there are some rather coarse elements in the Greater Boston area... :-\

8)

You can avoid them if you spot the big shaggy beards from a long enough way off ;)

Scarpia

Quote from: Brian on January 06, 2011, 01:33:18 PM
You can avoid them if you spot the big shaggy beards from a long enough way off ;)

I know the m.o..  If the CD contains any stravinsky, prokofiev or schoenberg, it is mysteriously "lost in the mail."   ;)

Opus106

I must say, Abeille Musique's website is badly made in some respects. I don't mean the website layout, but the way the site works.

I just registered an account, but I did not receive a confirmation+account activation e-mail, which is a norm for virtually every (reputable) website.

After registering, a new window offered to let me edit my account information, along with a couple of check boxes for letting them send newsletters and such. After I unchecked the boxes and clicked the "modify" button, I was returned to the same page with no indication of what had just happened. Oh, and the boxes were checked again. Now, that's just sloppy.

Maybe they'll just have to give their customers access to their databases so that they could confirm these things on their own. ::)
Regards,
Navneeth

Brahmsian

Quote from: Opus106 on January 07, 2011, 07:56:51 AM
I must say, Abeille Musique's website is badly made in some respects. I don't mean the website layout, but the way the site works.

I just registered an account, but I did not receive a confirmation+account activation e-mail, which is a norm for virtually every (reputable) website.

After registering, a new window offered to let me edit my account information, along with a couple of check boxes for letting them send newsletters and such. After I unchecked the boxes and clicked the "modify" button, I was returned to the same page with no indication of what had just happened. Oh, and the boxes were checked again. Now, that's just sloppy.

Maybe they'll just have to give their customers access to their databases so that they could confirm these things on their own. ::)

I agree, their website could use a tune-up.  I'm pretty sure I had received a confirmation of account activation, but not 100% sure on that.  Still, there are some whopping good deals to be had on there.  As long as you can get by 'en francais'.

Brian

Abeille Musique charges more to ship to England than to the United States? That's crazy! They're demanding 9 euros to ship one item to London.

The new erato

Amazon.co.uk (and lots of other examples) charges more for sending to Norway than to Roumania, since we're outside the EU. And lots of their resellers don't even ship to Norway at all, but Roumania and Greece are OK.

Opus106

Quote from: Brian on January 13, 2011, 03:43:07 AM
Abeille Musique charges more to ship to England than to the United States? That's crazy! They're demanding 9 euros to ship one item to London.

Last year, it was that much (or about that much) for three items or less. So, yeah, add a couple of more items and see if the shipping rate changes.
Regards,
Navneeth

Wanderer

Quote from: erato on January 13, 2011, 04:12:54 AM
Amazon.co.uk (and lots of other examples) charges more for sending to Norway than to Roumania, since we're outside the EU. And lots of their resellers don't even ship to Norway at all, but Roumania and Greece are OK.

It's all about the numbers. Andrei and I must be shopping a lot.  8)

Coopmv

Quote from: Brian on January 13, 2011, 03:43:07 AM

They must have learned the US airlines pricing model from the old days when it cost more to fly from NY to Chicago than from NY to SF ...   ;)

SonicMan46

MDT - experiences over the holidays and advice, please!  :-\

On December 24 or so, I placed a moderate order w/ MDT which was shipped on 1/7/2011 - to date (i.e. 2/7/2011), I've not received this order (but have been charged!) - an e-mail last week stated that their trans-Atlantic shippings have met w/ delays - now I'll willing to give them 6 weeks so and will wait until mid-February, if the package has not arrived.

But, for USA customers using this 'over the pond' site, have you experienced similar delays to the USA this holiday season?  Thanks - Dave

Brian

Dave, I'm having that experience with MDT right now, and I'm only a few hundred miles away from them!

SonicMan46

Quote from: Brian on February 07, 2011, 03:35:10 PM
Dave, I'm having that experience with MDT right now, and I'm only a few hundred miles away from them!

Hi Brian - well, I'll wait another few weeks (or less) - others have complained about similar delays - thanks for responding - Dave  :) 

mc ukrneal

Quote from: SonicMan on February 07, 2011, 03:14:31 PM
MDT - experiences over the holidays and advice, please!  :-\

On December 24 or so, I placed a moderate order w/ MDT which was shipped on 1/7/2011 - to date (i.e. 2/7/2011), I've not received this order (but have been charged!) - an e-mail last week stated that their trans-Atlantic shippings have met w/ delays - now I'll willing to give them 6 weeks so and will wait until mid-February, if the package has not arrived.

But, for USA customers using this 'over the pond' site, have you experienced similar delays to the USA this holiday season?  Thanks - Dave
It took about 6-7weeks for me to get a package. I would email them asap to make sure they know about it even if you decide to give it more time (if you have not already written them).  They asked me to wait twice and it did eventually get there.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

SonicMan46

Quote from: ukrneal on February 08, 2011, 12:48:55 PM
It took about 6-7weeks for me to get a package. I would email them asap to make sure they know about it even if you decide to give it more time (if you have not already written them).  They asked me to wait twice and it did eventually get there.

Ukrneal - thanks for your reply; I did contact them about a week ago and received the same response, thus my reason for waiting another couple of weeks.  Interestingly, I made another smaller order w/ them about a week after the one in question and it arrived a few weeks ago, so I was rather confused w/ the reasoning?  Just kind of weird  - Dave  :D