On-line Stores & Sellers

Started by Expresso, July 02, 2007, 09:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

Oh if it's only yesterday no problem, that doesn't seem unreasonable.  I think you're right, just wait until Monday.  I bet it will be shipped before then anyway. :)

Scarpia

Quote from: Leon on April 29, 2011, 10:55:39 AM
This is the note on the order (which I made yesterday, not the day before as I orginally thought), "This portion of your order is being prepared for shipment and cannot be canceled or changed."

So, I guess I'll have to wait another day to see what happens.  If it hasn't shipped by Monday, and the same status is tagged to the order, I'll contact the seller and depending upon their response, file a claim.  They still are getting 5 out of 5 reviews by happy customers who tell of prompt delivery ... so hope springs eternal.

That is Amazon's standard message.  I normally don't get upset if a Marketplace seller takes an extra day or two to ship the item, particularly if the price is good.   My main problem is sellers who ship the wrong item (GoHastings is a repeat offender in this category)

DavidW

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on April 29, 2011, 11:05:47 AM
That is Amazon's standard message.  I normally don't get upset if a Marketplace seller takes an extra day or two to ship the item, particularly if the price is good.   My main problem is sellers who ship the wrong item (GoHastings is a repeat offender in this category)

Living in a town with a Hastings, and having lived in another town with a Hastings as well, I can say that they usually hire high school students.  Nothing against high school students, but I think odds are they are not keenly aware of the differences between various classical music cds. :-\

SonicMan46

Quote from: haydnfan on April 29, 2011, 10:05:50 AM
I've had a similar experience with them not having what they list... I just don't bother with Movie Mars anymore.

I rarely use them in part because they are located in Charlotte, North Carolina, so I get 'hit' w/ state sales tax (not really a problem); but I've had the same other experiences, discs ordered and not available, orders canceled, items listed as available there but NOT!   :-\

mc ukrneal

It's interesting to read comments here. With CDs, I don't even pay too much attention to how long it takes until 3-4 weeks have gone by (with most, the key is 30 days, so you need to get a claim in within that time to remain within the letter of their rules). If the CD gets to me (at all) and is the right one, I am usually satisfied. If I really need a cd by a certain date, I will just order it further in advance or use some sort of 2-3 day delivery. And if an item is out of stock, I figure the blame lies with someone here (stealing MY cd - the nerve!).  >:D
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Coopmv

Quote from: Apollon on April 29, 2011, 10:01:15 AM
I used to find them highly reliable.  But . . . my latest experience was of such abysmal customer service . . . no, I shan't ever order from them again, perhaps.

They once sold me a used Schwarzkopf's CD as new and never bothered to respond to my email complaint.  I just wonder how they manage to keep their review rating up ...

Lethevich

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 30, 2011, 06:43:06 AM
I rarely use them in part because they are located in Charlotte, North Carolina

I read that as North Corea at first - that was quite a double-take.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Que

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on April 29, 2011, 09:54:41 AM
I've increasingly found MovieMars (an Amazon Marketplace seller) to be undependable.  Several times I have ordered a CD to have the order canceled several days layer, only to find MovieMars continuing to sell the same CD at a higher price.  I don't recommend them unless there is no alternative.

Same here! ::) Recently an item was cancelled for being out of stock. They obviously offer items they do not have. Most annoying however, was the fact that Amazon does not allow giving feedback on cancelled orders.... :P Which is rather perverse, because the fact that a seller offers an out of stock item, is my nr. 1 complaint by far.

Q

Coopmv

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on April 30, 2011, 09:44:13 AM
I read that as North Corea at first - that was quite a double-take.

I will continue to buy the bulk of my CD's from either MDT or Presto Classical as long as the US Customs does not start to harass me ...   ;D

Scarpia

It seems that shipping from the UK to the US has been getting slow again.  For a while I was getting things after about a week, now orders from two weeks ago have still not arrived (from MDT and from Zoverstocks).  I'm making it a priority to order from domestic sources where possible.

The new erato

I like long delivery and even ioccasionally preorder stuff. Anticipation is fun, and knowing thet something interesting will turn up in the mailbox some day isn't a bad feeling....

Coopmv

The noticeable delay could be due to stepped-up package inspections after the terror mastermind was taken out in Pakistan ...

Scarpia

Worth noting that www.importcds.com (which I believe is the same outfit that sells under amazon marketplace using the same name) is a good deal for new Hyperion and Chandos CDs.   Both labels are listed for under $12, with only $1.50 shipping (and $1.50 handling on the first item).  Cheaper than most deals for new CDs on Amazon.  You can also pay using paypal.

haydnguy

I had an interesting experience. I had a gift card balance at Amazon that should have taken care of a couple of CD's I ordered. The amount was not deducted from the amount due. I have just emailed them about it so it will be interesting to see how easy it goes. They have 12 hours to respond.

Scarpia

Quote from: haydnguy on May 23, 2011, 09:51:28 PM
I had an interesting experience. I had a gift card balance at Amazon that should have taken care of a couple of CD's I ordered. The amount was not deducted from the amount due. I have just emailed them about it so it will be interesting to see how easy it goes. They have 12 hours to respond.

On the payment page you have the choice of using gift card balance.  If an order has not shipped you can also change the payment method on the order status page, no emailing necessary.

haydnguy

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on May 23, 2011, 10:20:39 PM
On the payment page you have the choice of using gift card balance.  If an order has not shipped you can also change the payment method on the order status page, no emailing necessary.

Too late, it's shipped. That's good to know, thanks for telling me!

kishnevi

Be warned.  This is a whine.

Because of coupons, I've placed two orders with Barnes and Noble, one last Friday, and one yesterday evening(Thursday). 

Checking this afternoon, I discover that the order placed last night won't be shipped until Tuesday,  May 31.  Well, one day is because of Memorial Day (legal holiday here in the US,  for you non-Yankees), but that's definitely not "usually ships in 24 hours" territory.

But it's the first order that has me fuming.  That was shipped on Monday, May 23 via DHL, which was fine--the next business day, and I placed the order so late on Friday it was really early Saturday morning.  Then the tracking information didn't show up until yesterday, and I started fuming.  When I checked back today, I started really fuming.
Monday--shipped via DHL from B&N facility in Kentucky.
Tuesday--no reported action
Wednesday--no reported action
Thursday--processed at DHL facility in Kentucky.
Friday--transferred at the same Kentucky facility to the US Postal Service.
Friday evening--apparently at a USPS facility in Kentucky with actual delivery probably on next Tuesday (again, one day further delay because of Memorial Day).

FIVE DAYS AND MY ORDER STILL HASN'T LEFT KENTUCKY!

The B&N claim that the order woud arrive in 2-6 business days will actually be met, but FIVE DAYS IN ONE STATE !!!  C'mon guys, the Derby was a couple of weeks ago,  there's nothing to hold you up now.
And it's only 3 CDs, not like it's some huge parcel.

Borders is actually just as bad--the order I placed at the same time will apparently be delivered on Tuesday as well, but I expected that from Borders because I know that's how it worked when I ordered for in store pickup (no longer available because the closest Borders is almost an hour away), and FedEx's tracking at least shows the parcel is moving around in their system, and NOT SITTING AROUND IN ONE FACILITY FOR ALMOST A WHOLE WEEK!!!

I'm already writing up the complaint I'll be sending to B&N once the order actually gets here, and I'm crossing my fingers about the second order.

What is really aggravating is the contrast provided by ArkivMusic.  I placed an order for 8 cds from the Naive Vivaldi Edition on Tuesday.  It was shipped on Wednesday, and arrived just before dinnertime today (Friday) via FedEx.  That's my third order with them, and all three arrived relatively quickly.  I've got another order that might have been shipped today (haven't checked yet to see if it has, or whether it won't go out until Tuesday).    And Amazon has been relatively efficient, too, just not as quick as Arkiv.  It's the brick and mortar companies that are being slowpokes. 

Scarpia

What you are describing is fairly typical, especially when you you are getting free shipping.  The shipping companies have invented "sub-prime"shipping which is slower than ordinary postal service, despite the fact that it is being sent by a private shipping company like DHL.  "Smartpost" is one name for it.  This sort of service seems to consist of items being shuttled around when whenever there happens to be extra space available on a truck going vaguely in the right direction.   Amazon free-shipping tends to be like this, as well as Borders when you get shipping for free. 

kishnevi

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on May 27, 2011, 07:58:24 PM
What you are describing is fairly typical, especially when you you are getting free shipping.  The shipping companies have invented "sub-prime"shipping which is slower than ordinary postal service, despite the fact that it is being sent by a private shipping company like DHL.  "Smartpost" is one name for it.  This sort of service seems to consist of items being shuttled around when whenever there happens to be extra space available on a truck going vaguely in the right direction.   Amazon free-shipping tends to be like this, as well as Borders when you get shipping for free.

You're probably right--although the two orders I've done from Amazon were all done by USPS, and arrived relatively quickly.  Are you hinting I've been sort of lucky? And the Arkiv order I got yesterday on FedEx was the first not to be sent by USPS.

The Borders order, btw, actually arrived today, and the Arkiv order I mentioned was shipped yesterday (meaning within 24 hours)  by USPS.    So that leaves only B&N hanging out to dry.

Scarpia

Quote from: kishnevi on May 28, 2011, 07:53:20 PM
You're probably right--although the two orders I've done from Amazon were all done by USPS, and arrived relatively quickly.  Are you hinting I've been sort of lucky? And the Arkiv order I got yesterday on FedEx was the first not to be sent by USPS.

There is no consistency to it, especially with Amazon.  The ultra-circuitous shipping only seems to happen when you have free supersaver shipping, and seems to depend on things like the weight of the package - they evidently search for the absolute cheapest method.  I've had the experience of ordering two things from Amazon on free shipping, have them ship the same day, with one arriving a week before the other.