On-line Stores & Sellers

Started by Expresso, July 02, 2007, 09:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

haydnguy

Gosh, I've never had a problem with Amazon's free shipping. (I'm in the prime club). The only time I've ever had a glitch was when the UPS guy delivered the package to an empty house next door to mine but that was the UPS guys fault. Even then it was delivered on time.  8)

Coopmv

Quote from: haydnguy on June 02, 2011, 12:25:10 AM
Gosh, I've never had a problem with Amazon's free shipping. (I'm in the prime club). The only time I've ever had a glitch was when the UPS guy delivered the package to an empty house next door to mine but that was the UPS guys fault. Even then it was delivered on time.  8)

So you pay $45/year and get free shipping for ALL Amazon orders during the year.  Does it apply to MarketPlace orders as well?  If so, it may be worth joining the prime club since I buy from MP sellers quite often ...

Lethevich

Quote from: Coopmv on June 02, 2011, 05:30:08 AM
So you pay $45/year and get free shipping for ALL Amazon orders during the year.  Does it apply to MarketPlace orders as well?  If so, it may be worth joining the prime club since I buy from MP sellers quite often ...

It doesn't apply to marketplace.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

karlhenning

Neither the Amazon Prime, nor the Super Saver, apply to the Marketplace third-partiers.

karlhenning

Of course, I do a lot of business with the Marketplace third-partiers, because the price plus shipping still works out to savings. (And the third-party purchases still benefit GMG.)

DavidW

There is one exception though... some sellers send their things to amazon to sell.  Those are marked "fulfillment by amazon" and even though are sold by a marketplace seller qualifies for prime shipping.

Another cool thing about prime membership is that older movies and tv shows are free to watch on amazon vod.  Unfortunately it tooks to be about the same offerings as netflix watch instantly.

Coopmv

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 02, 2011, 05:37:25 AM
(And the third-party purchases still benefit GMG.)

Provided you launch the Amazon webpage from the GMG site before you do your shopping.

karlhenning

Aye. Or bookmark that link, and Use Thy Bookmark.

Lethevich

Of course, I do a lot of business with the Marketplace third-partiers, because the price plus shipping still works out to savings. (And the third-party purchases still benefit GMG.)

It's especially nice when you're a cheating git such as myself and let your six housemates use your prime account :-* I sometimes feel genuinely sorry for all the money I lose Amazon by doing this - the lower priority stuff I set to normal shipping.

Edit: I somehow read your post as an endorsement of Prime, how odd. Either way, it's definitely useful if you have a couple of heavy buyers in the house.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Scarpia

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on June 02, 2011, 01:02:56 PM
It's especially nice when you're a cheating git such as myself and let your six housemates use your prime account :-* I sometimes feel genuinely sorry for all the money I lose Amazon by doing this - the lower priority stuff I set to normal shipping.

Edit: I somehow read your post as an endorsement of Prime, how odd. Either way, it's definitely useful if you have a couple of heavy buyers in the house.

I had prime for a short period, but at this point Amazon-proper almost never has the best prime on music or video.  If I were buying more books at the moment it might be worth it.

In any case, my pet peeve nowadays is how much stuff is "out-of-stock."  On Amazon things off the beaten path, such as many releases from BIS, are listed as out of stock, and I've been trying to get the blu-ray of the Valencia ring, but find it is out of stock at almost every on-line retailer.   >:(   I fear this is a result of the persistent economic downturn, so that producers and distributors are reluctant to order or manufacture in adequate quantities for fear of getting stuck with unsold merchandise. 

kishnevi

I've been finding that on items Amazon has in stock,  Marketplace is not really worth it:  the Marketplace price often seems to be $2.98 lower than Amazon's own price.  And since the shipping charge for Marketplace orders seems to be generally $2.98, it's really the same price as Amazon.   I have placed a couple of Marketplace orders,  but only on stuff not in stock with Amazon itself.   I did a Marketplace order last night of yet another installment of the Naive Vivaldi edtion (Senna Festaggimente) which will supposedly take up to two weeks to get to me.

Meanwhile on my latest order from Amazon--it was shipped in two installments via a company named Lasership.  Never heard of them, googling the name brought up some Amazon discussion boards which revealed it's apparently a low budget courier company.  "Some guy in a Honda drove by and threw my package on the driveway.  Thank God it wasn't something electronic!"   There were also complaints about delivery being reported up to two days before the package actually arrive, or reported even though the package never arrived.  Installment 1 arrived via a guy knocking on the door, who turned out to have a little van with a peel off "delivery service" sign on the van door, while I was eating lunch.  Crossing my fingers about the second package which is (according to Amazon) due to be delivered tomorrow. 

For those considering Amazon Prime--a lot of the complaints were from Prime members and not a few talked about cancelling or not renewing because of bad service.  Amazon apparently is always looking out for cheapie delivery service, without pausing to consider why they may be cheapie.   You'd think a company as big as Amazon would be able to negotiate a suitably discounted rate with someone like FedEx or UPS.

BTW, my orders from Barnes and Noble that prompted my rant the other day on this thread both came through--the second one was shipped on Tuesday and arrived via UPS today.   Also arrived today several CDs ordered via Arkiv.  BTW, apparently Arkiv arranges for dropshipments from Harmonia Mundi of orders of HM and Hyperion recordings, since this was the second time I've received a package with the return address given as "c/o Harmonia Mundi"

So now I have a couple of piles of CDs to listen to (including half a Bruckner box, a three hour Vivaldi oratorio, three quarters of a complete Beethoven string quartet cycle, a couple of Hamelin CDs, and more Vivaldi).  I guess I need to stop ordering and start listening....

Mirror Image

Quote from: kishnevi on June 02, 2011, 09:31:31 PM
I've been finding that on items Amazon has in stock,  Marketplace is not really worth it:  the Marketplace price often seems to be $2.98 lower than Amazon's own price.  And since the shipping charge for Marketplace orders seems to be generally $2.98, it's really the same price as Amazon.

But in most cases you can save big time on box sets from a Marketplace seller compared to Amazon's standard price.

mc ukrneal

So now I have a couple of piles of CDs to listen to (including half a Bruckner box, a three hour Vivaldi oratorio, three quarters of a complete Beethoven string quartet cycle, a couple of Hamelin CDs, and more Vivaldi).  I guess I need to stop ordering and start listening....
No, now is the time to order more. You won't care when the next ones arrive, because you have others to listen to. It's actually perfect!  ;D
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Scarpia

I've been finding that on items Amazon has in stock,  Marketplace is not really worth it:  the Marketplace price often seems to be $2.98 lower than Amazon's own price.  And since the shipping charge for Marketplace orders seems to be generally $2.98, it's really the same price as Amazon.   I have placed a couple of Marketplace orders,  but only on stuff not in stock with Amazon itself.   I did a Marketplace order last night of yet another installment of the Naive Vivaldi edtion (Senna Festaggimente) which will supposedly take up to two weeks to get to me.

For new single discs a $3 dollar difference may be typical, but that's still an advantage because I usually don't have the $25 minimum needed to Amazon Free Shipping.   But I often find used discs or steeply discounted discs on Marketplace that make it a clear advantage.  Beyond that, typically marketplace vendors give better shipping service than Amazon free shipping. 

haydnguy

Gosh, I must be the lucky one here concerning shipping. I've never had anything but UPS from Amazon. Might be where I live there aren't a lot of choices. I just assumed that everyone else was getting good service too.  ???

DavidW

Quote from: haydnguy on June 03, 2011, 01:30:20 AM
Gosh, I must be the lucky one here concerning shipping. I've never had anything but UPS from Amazon. Might be where I live there aren't a lot of choices. I just assumed that everyone else was getting good service too.  ???

I've found that with prime shipping they'll use either ups or fedex (which ever is faster), nearly always ups for me, and then super saver shipping is usually usps.

I love when you order with 2 day shipping, and it arrives early, the next day!! :)  I heard the wonderful plop this morning and there my Schubert lieder set was... 8)

DavidW

Wow that mdt shipment is taking time.  I've found that overseas orders can vary from a week to a month.  I look forward to some DFD Schubert this evening with a beer in hand. :)

kishnevi

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on June 02, 2011, 10:31:28 PM
For new single discs a $3 dollar difference may be typical, but that's still an advantage because I usually don't have the $25 minimum needed to Amazon Free Shipping.   But I often find used discs or steeply discounted discs on Marketplace that make it a clear advantage.  Beyond that, typically marketplace vendors give better shipping service than Amazon free shipping.

Well, let me put it this way:  I've yet to have a problem reaching that $25 minimum :)  I have enough on my wish list that I can always find something to add on to reach the required figure.  My problem is keeping the orders to a reasonable amount.   And I am, from prior experience locally, leery of used CDs, so I plan on ordering them only when there's a signficant price difference or there are no new alternatives (which has been the case, twice in the couple of weeks since I started ordering binging.).   And the Marketplace orders I've gotten seem to be about the same as Amazon's, and one currently being processed is definitely slower---the Vivaldi disc I mentioned before.

The fact that what I'm ordering is relatively mainstream may also play into it.    The most outre things on my wishlist right now are probably Hamelin's Alkan recordings.

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 02, 2011, 09:41:17 PM
But in most cases you can save big time on box sets from a Marketplace seller compared to Amazon's standard price.
Not at least the ones I'm looking at right now.   And much of what I want is not box sets (although there are a couple of there now, and Amazon is offering some relatively decent discounts on some of them) but series of CDs, like the Hamelin recordings, the MTT Mahler CDs I need to complete that series, etc.

And some CDs are offered at by Amazon at a price that's so low that it's not worth bothering comparing.  For instance, the Lindberg cello concerto CD you posted a couple of days ago is now under $10.

haydnguy

Quote from: DavidW on June 03, 2011, 10:19:44 AM
Wow that mdt shipment is taking time.  I've found that overseas orders can vary from a week to a month.  I look forward to some DFD Schubert this evening with a beer in hand. :)

My latest order was supposed to be here today. I just looked outside and there it was! 8)

Mirror Image

Quote from: kishnevi on June 03, 2011, 12:22:42 PMThe fact that what I'm ordering is relatively mainstream may also play into it.    The most outre things on my wishlist right now are probably Hamelin's Alkan recordings.
Not at least the ones I'm looking at right now.   And much of what I want is not box sets (although there are a couple of there now, and Amazon is offering some relatively decent discounts on some of them) but series of CDs, like the Hamelin recordings, the MTT Mahler CDs I need to complete that series, etc.

And some CDs are offered at by Amazon at a price that's so low that it's not worth bothering comparing.  For instance, the Lindberg cello concerto CD you posted a couple of days ago is now under $10.

The Lindberg recording which has the Cello Concerto I bought for $6 plus shipping from a Marketplace seller. To buy it directly from Amazon is $8 plus shipping. I saved $2 from buying from a third-party seller than directly from Amazon and this may be a small difference, but it's still saving money. Like I said, it's with the box sets that you will begin to find better prices.