On-line Stores & Sellers

Started by Expresso, July 02, 2007, 09:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kishnevi

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 03, 2011, 08:24:39 PM
The Lindberg recording which has the Cello Concerto I bought for $6 plus shipping from a Marketplace seller. To buy it directly from Amazon is $8 plus shipping. I saved $2 from buying from a third-party seller than directly from Amazon and this may be a small difference, but it's still saving money. Like I said, it's with the box sets that you will begin to find better prices.

I bought the Lindberg as part of a larger order, so I didn't pay shipping, so the third party vendor would have actually been more expensive. 

Mirror Image

Quote from: kishnevi on June 03, 2011, 09:17:42 PM
I bought the Lindberg as part of a larger order, so I didn't pay shipping, so the third party vendor would have actually been more expensive.

Oh, I see. The only thing bad about Amazon Marketplace is you have to pay for shipping for each item. If you're buying multiple items from different sellers I can understand this, but if you're buying multiple items from the same seller, they should combine the shipping.

Coopmv

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 03, 2011, 09:22:27 PM
Oh, I see. The only thing bad about Amazon Marketplace is you have to pay for shipping for each item. If you're buying multiple items from different sellers I can understand this, but if you're buying multiple items from the same seller, they should combine the shipping.

MI, That $2.98 is per item, even if you buy multiple items from the same MP seller.  I guess that is the rule laid down by Amazon ...     >:(

DavidW

Quote from: Coopmv on June 04, 2011, 06:20:30 AM
MI, That $2.98 is per item, even if you buy multiple items from the same MP seller.  I guess that is the rule laid down by Amazon ...     >:(

Yup that rule is laid down by amazon.  How to fix it: many of the big mp sellers have their own website and if you order through them directly you can reduced shipping.  I have to say though that I save so much buying on the mp that the shipping cost doesn't bother me a bit. :)

Scarpia

Quote from: DavidW on June 04, 2011, 06:36:05 AM
Yup that rule is laid down by amazon.  How to fix it: many of the big mp sellers have their own website and if you order through them directly you can reduced shipping.  I have to say though that I save so much buying on the mp that the shipping cost doesn't bother me a bit. :)

One of the best is www.importcds.com, which sells as importcds on amazon marketplace.  Recently their prices on most of the premium import labels (bis, cpo, chandos, hanssler) are at about $12.50 per disc, and only $1.50 per disc shipping, with additional $1.50 handling charge on the first disc.  Plus, they support paypal payment.  Usually works out to a better deal than a new disc on Amazon marketplace.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Coopmv on June 04, 2011, 06:20:30 AM

Yes, and it's something I disagree with, but I have no other source for buying CDs and I certainly don't like B&N or buying from an overseas company.

DavidW

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on June 04, 2011, 08:52:53 AM
One of the best is www.importcds.com, which sells as importcds on amazon marketplace.  Recently their prices on most of the premium import labels (bis, cpo, chandos, hanssler) are at about $12.50 per disc, and only $1.50 per disc shipping, with additional $1.50 handling charge on the first disc.  Plus, they support paypal payment.  Usually works out to a better deal than a new disc on Amazon marketplace.

Nice!  That is a good resource, I should bookmark it. :)

Coopmv

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 04, 2011, 08:55:56 AM
Yes, and it's something I disagree with, but I have no other source for buying CDs and I certainly don't like B&N or buying from an overseas company.

I don't blame you since B&N will collect sale tax also in addition to hitting you with a shipping charge.  Moreover, B&N prices are rarely any good.

DavidW

Quote from: Coopmv on June 04, 2011, 09:18:58 AM
I don't blame you since B&N will collect sale tax also in addition to hitting you with a shipping charge.  Moreover, B&N prices are rarely any good.

They also have a lousy return policy.  I ordered the Bach edition from them, and they shipped me the Beethoven edition (idiots!). That was when I discovered that you have to pay return shipping + 20% restocking fee.  So I just kept it. ::)

Coopmv

Quote from: DavidW on June 04, 2011, 09:22:57 AM
They also have a lousy return policy.  I ordered the Bach edition from them, and they shipped me the Beethoven edition (idiots!). That was when I discovered that you have to pay return shipping + 20% restocking fee.  So I just kept it. ::)

I have gotten some pretty good deals at the now shutdown Borders store in my town.  40% off list price on some Harmonia Mundi SACD's when I presented my online coupons.  I still have some Borders gift-card I received at Christmas which I should use up before Borders is shut down for good ...    :(

Lethevich

Woah what ??? Shouldn't there be laws to stop that kind of dirty practice?
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Scarpia

I can't believe that would still apply when it was their error. 

Coopmv

I did not know B&N actually charges restocking fees for returned items.  Not good and I am glad I have never given it any business ...

Lethevich

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on June 04, 2011, 07:20:03 PM

Indedie :\ UK distance selling laws, for eg, would entitle you to a strong claim to both keeping the item they sent, and also demanding the correct one.

DavidW

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on June 04, 2011, 07:20:03 PM

Well it appears that they've changed their return policy, but just 2 years ago (or was it 3?) they were pretty lousy.

DavidW

Well I have a positive experience... classical music superstore is awesome!  When I told them about having a missing cd from the Ligeti edition they said they would simply mail me the cd! :)

Lethevich

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on March 03, 2011, 09:20:00 PM
HQ covers & full booklets:

Hyperion (the model for this concept - notes available in HTML or PDF booklets)
Chandos (the older issues aren't very good)
Toccata (very respectable website)
DaCapo (front covers, but the booklets are for paying downloaders only)
Sterling (in concept only: I find that their links either faulty or placeholders - presumably the latter)
Onyx (notes are also available in HTML)
ATMA Classique

HQ covers:

Tudor (HQ front and rear covers)
Glossa (very limited implementation, and the notes are currently not full, just PR blurb)
Neos (HQ front cover)

Full notes:

Soli Deo Gloria (it's in a PDF, but not booklet format)
Naxos/Marco Polo (also HQ rear covers for Naxos, but not front for some reason)
Linn
Buywell (PDF booklets for Australian Eloquence releases)

Has anyone discovered any new additions for this list of services that record labels offer on their websites?

Drasko

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on July 06, 2011, 06:37:36 AM
Has anyone discovered any new additions for this list of services that record labels offer on their websites?

Buywell offers pdf booklets for Australian Eloquence releases.

Lethevich

Hyperion now offers an additional new tier of reduced items, the "Bargain Basement" (~£3.99 for full-priced discs):

http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/o.asp?o=1032

In addition to their usual half-price section (~£5.50 for full-priced discs):

http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/o.asp?o=1016

KeithW

QuoteHas anyone discovered any new additions for this list of services that record labels offer on their websites?

There are some very useful links at http://www.dreamstreaming.info/sitelinks/download/

Many of the record labels offer HQ images and PDF booklets. 

I have also found Google images increasingly helpful - the ability to limit search results to high quality images is useful. 

One final resource which I use from time to time is http://www.allcdcovers.com/covers