Author Topic: On-line Stores & Sellers  (Read 262673 times)

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
  • Bachafugaholic
Re: On-line Stores & Sellers
« Reply #620 on: January 28, 2012, 05:48:04 AM »
WTF happened to my shopping cart, Abeille Musique?!!! >:(

Here's a bad experience even before I made a purchase: The carefully selected list of items that had been part of my cart for the past few days had vanished when I checked earlier in the day. Without logging in I was scouring their lists (for the umpteenth time!) this morning when I noticed that the Brahms' chamber music box from Hyperion was no longer on sale, and this was an item I had added to my cart last week. But when I logged in immediately to see whether they had left me a message ("We have reserved the one just for you, sir." or "Sorry, no longer in stock, slow-poke!"), all I saw was an empty shopping cart!

Be warned, people!

Well, it's happened again, but this time it's about half the basket. I'll have to find out which item, if any, has gone out of stock. With such a misbehaving site, I wonder whether I should to let them store my credit card info there.
Regards,
Navneeth

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #621 on: January 28, 2012, 08:11:38 AM »
Well, it's happened again, but this time it's about half the basket. I'll have to find out which item, if any, has gone out of stock. With such a misbehaving site, I wonder whether I should to let them store my credit card info there.
Abeille is a bit of a strange site. I think the cart has a time limit. I know if I have an error in the checkout process, I will lose the whole cart too. So I jsut copy all the item codes so that if I lose it, it is easy to reconstruct. They do not store the credit card info either. You will need to re-enter it every time. But having used them a few years in a row, they do appear to otherwise be reliable.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Offline Coopmv

• Veteran member
  • Mein Freund ist mein
« Reply #622 on: January 28, 2012, 08:20:10 AM »
Abeille is a bit of a strange site. I think the cart has a time limit. I know if I have an error in the checkout process, I will lose the whole cart too. So I jsut copy all the item codes so that if I lose it, it is easy to reconstruct. They do not store the credit card info either. You will need to re-enter it every time. But having used them a few years in a row, they do appear to otherwise be reliable.

Abeille Musique is not the only CD etailer that does this.  While Amazon (US & UK)always retain the cart items, I have noticed some US based etailers also clear out the cart after certain time limit has been reached.

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #623 on: January 28, 2012, 08:26:40 AM »
I have noticed some US based etailers also clear out the cart after certain time limit has been reached.

JPC does too.

Sarge
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 08:29:17 AM by Sergeant Rock »
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

kishnevi

« Reply #624 on: January 28, 2012, 06:57:54 PM »
JPC does too.

Sarge

Speaking of JPC, but on another tangent: how does JPC ship?

They emailed me to say my order was shipped, but did not say how it was shipped, or provide a tracking number or anything--nor does any such information show up when I check on the order at JPC's website.

I'm kind of assuming that it will show up in the hands of my mailwoman,  but it would be nice to be sure of that, especially since the recent near fiasco with Presto was due to a lost "you weren't home to sign" slip she supposedly left in my mailbox.

Offline Coopmv

• Veteran member
  • Mein Freund ist mein
« Reply #625 on: January 28, 2012, 07:05:59 PM »
Speaking of JPC, but on another tangent: how does JPC ship?

They emailed me to say my order was shipped, but did not say how it was shipped, or provide a tracking number or anything--nor does any such information show up when I check on the order at JPC's website.

I'm kind of assuming that it will show up in the hands of my mailwoman,  but it would be nice to be sure of that, especially since the recent near fiasco with Presto was due to a lost "you weren't home to sign" slip she supposedly left in my mailbox.

I placed my second order in December and to be honest, I am still not sure how jpc ships.  The package did end up in my mailbox, though the first order required some signature and was delivered twice.  Then my wife somehow told the PO I would waive the signature requirement and the mailman ended up leaving the package at the door without the signature.  With both MDT and Presto, I only ran into the signature requirement once when the order was close to $200.  As such I have always limited the order amount to under $100 in order to avoid that signature requirement.

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
  • Bachafugaholic
« Reply #626 on: January 28, 2012, 09:25:54 PM »

Thanks, Neal, for the reassurance*.

*But my credit card thinks that was uncalled for.  ::)  :-\
Regards,
Navneeth

eyeresist

« Reply #627 on: January 29, 2012, 06:31:47 PM »

As a previous poster said, I don't trust the shopping cart to remember anything long term. That's what wishlists are for.

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
  • Bachafugaholic
« Reply #628 on: January 29, 2012, 10:41:05 PM »
As a previous poster said, I don't trust the shopping cart to remember anything long term. That's what wishlists are for.

Less than a week is long term? ???
Regards,
Navneeth

eyeresist

« Reply #629 on: January 29, 2012, 11:57:55 PM »
Less than a week is long term? ???
Anything outside the 24 hour cycle.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #630 on: January 30, 2012, 05:00:16 AM »
That cart is so yesterday.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Hey Bert!
« Reply #631 on: January 30, 2012, 05:10:29 AM »
That cart is so yesterday.

;D :D ;D

Thanks for that Monday morning laugh, Karl!  :D
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #632 on: January 30, 2012, 05:31:04 AM »
Good morning, George!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Hey Bert!
« Reply #633 on: January 30, 2012, 05:40:52 AM »
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
  • Bachafugaholic
« Reply #634 on: February 09, 2012, 06:27:34 AM »
Despite the qualms that I had about Abeille Musique's website, I'm glad to note that they have delivered. Well, almost -- they couldn't procure one of the items I had ordered, but were quick to send across a refund receipt. And the whole thing, from order to delivery, took around 9 days.

As for the packaging, there wasn't much in the way of cushioning material except for folded piece of cardboards on either end of the box to keep the CDs and boxes from moving about inside.

And yes, it was sent from a Naxos warehouse in Germany.

:)
Regards,
Navneeth

DavidW

« Reply #635 on: February 09, 2012, 06:42:02 AM »
Has the tacet label authorized any digital downloads?  I can't find them on amazon mp3, itunes or their own website.  It looks like they're physical media only!?  Is that right!?!  How am I supposed to buy the Auryn Q recordings?  (I've abandoned physical format)  Are they really that far behind in the times?  How do you stay in business with that kind of shabby business model?

If anyone knows of a site where you can buy digital downloads of their recordings, please post. :)

Offline Szykneij

• Veteran member
  • Tony from Massachusetts
« Reply #636 on: February 23, 2012, 12:47:26 PM »
Has the tacet label authorized any digital downloads?  I can't find them on amazon mp3, itunes or their own website.  It looks like they're physical media only!?  Is that right!?!  How am I supposed to buy the Auryn Q recordings?  (I've abandoned physical format)

Yes, David is just one step away from complete abandonment of his physical format.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Bulldog

« Reply #637 on: February 23, 2012, 01:32:43 PM »
Has the tacet label authorized any digital downloads?  I can't find them on amazon mp3, itunes or their own website.  It looks like they're physical media only!?  Is that right!?!  How am I supposed to buy the Auryn Q recordings?  (I've abandoned physical format)  Are they really that far behind in the times?  How do you stay in business with that kind of shabby business model?

If anyone knows of a site where you can buy digital downloads of their recordings, please post. :)

Sounds like you might want to consider getting back into the physical format.  Why did you discard it?

eyeresist

« Reply #638 on: February 23, 2012, 05:36:58 PM »
Yes, David is just one step away from complete abandonment of his physical format.

A superintelligent shade of the colour blue.

DavidW

« Reply #639 on: February 23, 2012, 06:41:06 PM »
Sounds like you might want to consider getting back into the physical format.  Why did you discard it?

Storage.  I don't like having lots of stuff that can just go into a hard drive and the cloud with no physical space.