Started by Expresso, July 02, 2007, 09:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Opus106

Despite the qualms that I had about Abeille Musique's website, I'm glad to note that they have delivered. Well, almost -- they couldn't procure one of the items I had ordered, but were quick to send across a refund receipt. And the whole thing, from order to delivery, took around 9 days.

As for the packaging, there wasn't much in the way of cushioning material except for folded piece of cardboards on either end of the box to keep the CDs and boxes from moving about inside.

And yes, it was sent from a Naxos warehouse in Germany.

:)
Regards,
Navneeth

DavidW

Has the tacet label authorized any digital downloads?  I can't find them on amazon mp3, itunes or their own website.  It looks like they're physical media only!?  Is that right!?!  How am I supposed to buy the Auryn Q recordings?  (I've abandoned physical format)  Are they really that far behind in the times?  How do you stay in business with that kind of shabby business model?

If anyone knows of a site where you can buy digital downloads of their recordings, please post. :)

Szykneij

Quote from: DavidW on February 09, 2012, 05:42:02 AM
Has the tacet label authorized any digital downloads?  I can't find them on amazon mp3, itunes or their own website.  It looks like they're physical media only!?  Is that right!?!  How am I supposed to buy the Auryn Q recordings?  (I've abandoned physical format)

Yes, David is just one step away from complete abandonment of his physical format.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Bulldog

Quote from: DavidW on February 09, 2012, 05:42:02 AM
Has the tacet label authorized any digital downloads?  I can't find them on amazon mp3, itunes or their own website.  It looks like they're physical media only!?  Is that right!?!  How am I supposed to buy the Auryn Q recordings?  (I've abandoned physical format)  Are they really that far behind in the times?  How do you stay in business with that kind of shabby business model?

If anyone knows of a site where you can buy digital downloads of their recordings, please post. :)

Sounds like you might want to consider getting back into the physical format.  Why did you discard it?

eyeresist

Quote from: Szykneij on February 23, 2012, 11:47:26 AM
Yes, David is just one step away from complete abandonment of his physical format.

A superintelligent shade of the colour blue.

DavidW

Quote from: Bulldog on February 23, 2012, 12:32:43 PM
Sounds like you might want to consider getting back into the physical format.  Why did you discard it?

Storage.  I don't like having lots of stuff that can just go into a hard drive and the cloud with no physical space.

DavidW

Quote from: Szykneij on February 23, 2012, 11:47:26 AM

lol :D ;D

Szykneij

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

ElliotViola

Thought I would share my publisher's webstore.

He advertises his site as the 'lowest cost sheet music on the internet', and arranges a lot of his own stuff. I've done a few arrangements, including transcriptions of Bach Suites/Partitas for Viola (from Violin). There is a very large collection of free transcriptions and arrangements, along with free music of most classical genres for many instruments.

http://olcbarcelonamusic.musicaneo.com

From OLC Barcelona:

QuoteWe would like to offer musicians the possibility to find any kind of sheet music they could be looking for. In OLC Barcelona Sheet Music you will find hundreds of original scores written by the greatest classical composers, especially piano works. Most of them are for free! However, you will be glad to find so many classical arrangements written by dozens of arrangers; easy piano versions from classics, piano arrangements of orchestral works (symphonies, concertos,...), classical works turned into jazz versions , piano works arranged for chamber music,... You will not find those piano arrangements in other websites!

They also do an 'arrange by request' feature, where you email them and they arrange it for you...

The reason it's slightly better than IMSLP for some of the content is that most of the stuff OLC have is more modern typesetting and not photocopies of old ripped music that is nearly illegible.

I hope this can help somebody out!
'Competitions are for Horses, not Artists' -Bélà Bartók.

Visit my website: http://www.elliotviola.co.uk

Szykneij

I just went to Amazon to check out clips of a Saint-Saens String Quartets CD I was interested in ordering. It doesn't really affect me since I don't buy downloads, but I noticed you can download each movement of the two quartets for 99-cents except for the first movement of SQ1 and the finale of SQ2. To get those two movements, you have to buy the whole album. I guess if the track is over 10 minutes long, they don't sell it individually, which seems like a silly policy for classical recordings.  The album download costs $8.99, but I just bought the disc used on ebay for $7.50, including shipping.

Brian

Quote from: Szykneij on March 25, 2012, 04:25:30 PM
I just went to Amazon to check out clips of a Saint-Saens String Quartets CD I was interested in ordering. It doesn't really affect me since I don't buy downloads, but I noticed you can download each movement of the two quartets for 99-cents except for the first movement of SQ1 and the finale of SQ2. To get those two movements, you have to buy the whole album. I guess if the track is over 10 minutes long, they don't sell it individually, which seems like a silly policy for classical recordings.  The album download costs $8.99, but I just bought the disc used on ebay for $7.50, including shipping.

I know what CD that is, and I enjoy it. By the way, for MP3 enthusiasts, eClassical charges by length - so, for instance, a track under 10 seconds long costs mere pennies but a four-minute track will cost you over $2. This means that Yevgeny Sudbin's recent Paganini Rhapsody on BIS, which is divided into two dozen tracks, costs $3.50 instead of the $25 a site like Amazon or Classicsonline might demand.

Brian

I'm a little annoyed with MDT. They announced they'd be launching a new website design "after April 16th." It hasn't happened yet. Wonder if we'll get it this week...

Coopmv

Quote from: Szykneij on March 25, 2012, 04:25:30 PM

I hear you.  Download is not for me.  I can count the number of downloads in less than 2 hands but those downloads are the Royal Concertgebouw live concerts I downloaded from its website for free and may not be available on CD.

Brian

Quote from: Brian on April 22, 2012, 09:22:24 AM
I'm a little annoyed with MDT. They announced they'd be launching a new website design "after April 16th." It hasn't happened yet. Wonder if we'll get it this week...

Same old MDT so far. Three weeks behind on that new web design...

The new erato

Well, it definitely is "After April 16th". So I don't see what you are complaining about.

Coopmv

Quote from: Brian on May 04, 2012, 06:27:38 PM
Same old MDT so far. Three weeks behind on that new web design...

Relax Brian.  Don't get too hung up on 4/16, we are done with the IRS for the year.  Who cares about if MDT even updates its website ...     ;D

eyeresist

Quote from: The new erato on May 05, 2012, 12:18:40 AMWell, it definitely is "After April 16th". So I don't see what you are complaining about.

:D

"And to protect Mother Earth, each copy contains a certain percentage of recycled paper."
"And what percent is that?"
"Zero. Zero's a percent!"

Elgarian

On Amazon UK Marketplace there's a seller called zoverstocks. I ordered a CD from them back in January that never arrived. I waited till the last of the delivery estimate dates before notifying them, and fair enough, they refunded my money, observing that it must have got lost in the post. Well, I thought, these things happen - I suppose.

In April I gave them another shot and placed two orders a couple of days apart. As before, they apparently shipped promptly. But here I am, on 9th May, still waiting. It's possible they may turn up in the next few days before the latest delivery estimate is exceeded; but it all seems very odd, and I'm already anticipating two more 'lost in the post' explanations - despite the fact that in the last ten years no package addressed to me has ever been knowingly lost (zoverstocks excepted). But why should items posted here in the UK, even at 2nd class, take so long to reach a UK address?

Does anyone have any experience of this seller? Curiously, there's very little negative feedback on their profile.