On-line Stores & Sellers

Started by Expresso, July 02, 2007, 09:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: KeithW on May 10, 2012, 07:44:09 PM
I had a bizarre packaging situation with amazon.com today.  I had ordered the latest in the Naive Vivaldi series which was released this week.  A single CD arrived in a packing box roughly 12" x 6" x 4" in size, surrounded by lots of good packing paper.  Well protected, but overkill.

Amazon have started a campaign for more sane packaging; I used to get parcels from them that were like that, on a regular basis. Since they only allow feedback of their service to be on packaging, I used to give them the lowest possible marks, with a few well-chosen arrows on the side. However, they have improved greatly in the last 6-12 months, so I can't complain so much. :)

Quote from: eyeresist on May 10, 2012, 07:12:57 PM
I should commend Amazon UK, that their recent deliveries were NOT packaged so as to fall apart during transit, as happened several times earlier this year.

Never had that happen, but the traditional box with a CD in it that one could then use to store the spare motor for one's motorcycle seems to be gone.  ::)

8)

PS - that Supraphon Dvorak box arrived yesterday in a large padded envelope. I believe that is an Amazon first!! :)

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on May 11, 2012, 04:20:10 AM
PS - that Supraphon Dvorak box arrived yesterday in a large padded envelope. I believe that is an Amazon first!! :)

Huzzah!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Elgarian

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on May 11, 2012, 04:20:10 AM
PS - that Supraphon Dvorak box arrived yesterday

A matter for jubilation indeed. The latest news on mine is that the Official Amazon Postal Dinghy is being carried roughly north-eastward in leisurely fashion by the gulf stream, with estimated delivery date sometime in 2015. I expect it will be all the sweeter for it.

Karl Henning

It will have that Sargasso tang, too!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

kishnevi

Quote from: Elgarian on May 11, 2012, 11:29:59 AM
A matter for jubilation indeed. The latest news on mine is that the Official Amazon Postal Dinghy is being carried roughly north-eastward in leisurely fashion by the gulf stream, with estimated delivery date sometime in 2015. I expect it will be all the sweeter for it.

If it's any consolation,  I've found that AmazonUK and MDT dinghies can take up to three weeks to get to me here in Florida from the day I get the "it's been shipped!" email.  Presto, possibly living up to its name, is usually one to two weeks.  I assume they put paddles into their dinghies.

Meanwhile, my Marvelio dinghy has yet to appear. 

Coopmv

Quote from: Elgarian on May 09, 2012, 11:47:59 AM
On Amazon UK Marketplace there's a seller called zoverstocks. I ordered a CD from them back in January that never arrived. I waited till the last of the delivery estimate dates before notifying them, and fair enough, they refunded my money, observing that it must have got lost in the post. Well, I thought, these things happen - I suppose.

In April I gave them another shot and placed two orders a couple of days apart. As before, they apparently shipped promptly. But here I am, on 9th May, still waiting. It's possible they may turn up in the next few days before the latest delivery estimate is exceeded; but it all seems very odd, and I'm already anticipating two more 'lost in the post' explanations - despite the fact that in the last ten years no package addressed to me has ever been knowingly lost (zoverstocks excepted). But why should items posted here in the UK, even at 2nd class, take so long to reach a UK address?

Does anyone have any experience of this seller? Curiously, there's very little negative feedback on their profile.

There is a twofer issued by BC that is only available from an Amazon UK MP vendor at a reasonable price, I may venture into your territory soon.  I have so far avoided any Amazon MP vendors that are not US based.

Elgarian

I would like to apologise for repeatedly mis-spelling the word 'inflatable', not merely in this thread, but in others. I wondered about silently correcting all the mis-spellings, but then, as I stood in my hair-shirt, all repentant 'n stuff, I thought I would let them stand, as an example to all of the depths of human folly.

The new erato

I thought you meant inflatusable.

Elgarian

Quote from: The new erato on May 12, 2012, 09:05:33 AM
I thought you meant inflatusable.

No. I was also not meaning 'inflatulent'.

The new erato

Glad to have that cleared up!

Karl Henning

Quote from: Elgarian on May 12, 2012, 09:08:28 AM
No. I was also not meaning 'inflatulent'.

The lost Langgaard symphony? …
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

eyeresist

Quote from: karlhenning on May 12, 2012, 09:23:00 AM
The lost Langgaard symphony? ...

No, Nielsen - with solo for timpani and whoopee cushion.

Opus106

I doubt whether it deserves such a high position like that. I mean, surely a Boppy Cottony Cute Slipcover is infinitely more relaxing that a plastic CD case!

P.S.: I have already sent them my feedback regarding this listing. 0:)
Regards,
Navneeth

Karl Henning

Quote from: Opus106 on May 15, 2012, 10:02:17 AM
. . . surely a Boppy Cottony Cute Slipcover is infinitely more relaxing that a plastic CD case!

and it is the perfect accessory for listening to Nielsen's Imaginary Journey to the Whooppie Cushion . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

kishnevi

Since I mentioned it on this thread--
the Marvelio dinghy, which was supposedly shipped on May 1,  actually arrived today.  May 15.  Two weeks to get from Pennsylvania to Florida.    Took as long as most orders from England that have to clear customs and the Atlantic Ocean to get to me.   Will not be using this guy again. (This is the second time it's happened with this vendor, although the first time was not quite so bad.)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on May 15, 2012, 05:03:21 PM
Since I mentioned it on this thread--
the Marvelio dinghy, which was supposedly shipped on May 1,  actually arrived today.  May 15.  Two weeks to get from Pennsylvania to Florida.    Took as long as most orders from England that have to clear customs and the Atlantic Ocean to get to me.   Will not be using this guy again. (This is the second time it's happened with this vendor, although the first time was not quite so bad.)

I know that Marvelio say they are located in PA, but (I have used them twice with precisely the same results as yours) I think they are actually in Germany and when you order they ship to PA and then transship to you. I can't remember now what the tipoff was to that, but something in my first order spelled it out. I will say, however, that one of my favorite AMP vendors is 'Medimops', which used to make no bones about being located in Germany (they even used to send me a thank you letter all in German, thank Google). Then they slightly changed their name and now say they ship from New Jersey, but it takes the extra week plus I still get the Dankeschön letter. :D I don't care, every disk I have gotten from them has been reasonably priced, well packed, and in better condition than most used CD's that I buy. I don't worry unless time is of the essence. :)

8)

kishnevi

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on May 15, 2012, 05:59:36 PM
I know that Marvelio say they are located in PA, but (I have used them twice with precisely the same results as yours) I think they are actually in Germany and when you order they ship to PA and then transship to you. I can't remember now what the tipoff was to that, but something in my first order spelled it out. I will say, however, that one of my favorite AMP vendors is 'Medimops', which used to make no bones about being located in Germany (they even used to send me a thank you letter all in German, thank Google). Then they slightly changed their name and now say they ship from New Jersey, but it takes the extra week plus I still get the Dankeschön letter. :D I don't care, every disk I have gotten from them has been reasonably priced, well packed, and in better condition than most used CD's that I buy. I don't worry unless time is of the essence. :)

8)

Grumble, grumble--
Well, they should say they're in Germany, and I wouldn't have gotten upset.
Although I probably wouldn't have ordered from them, because I picked them on the grounds they were the least expensive on that item among US based vendors, and figured the extra half a dollar or dollar or whatever it is was worth not having to wait the extra time for an order to come in from Europe. 

I was in fact beginning to wonder if they actually shipped on the day they claimed, or if had gotten lost in the mail.

I suppose I should go back to Zoverstocks.  They may be slow and across the pond, but at least they're honest about being slow and across the pond.. 

(And Medimops is a vendor I've had a bad experience with--a used CD rated "very good" quality that turned out to be missing the slipcase and having a long scratch.  Hopefully, that was a rare occurence--but that's one reason I don't buy used CDs online if I can help it.  I want to inspect the goods first, if it's used.)

kishnevi

I suppose I should add (if it already isn't clear) that I don't like deferred gratification.  My mother always tried to pull that trick on me when I was a kid, and it never worked.  I want my _________________ NOW!

Elgarian

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on May 15, 2012, 06:53:25 PM
I suppose I should go back to Zoverstocks.  They may be slow and across the pond, but at least they're honest about being slow and across the pond.. 

Update on my Zoverstocks experiences:

1. My purchase from them in January never arrived. (Refunded)
2. One of my two orders in April arrived, but took two weeks (this within the uk) and, despite being described as 'very good', was a mess.
3. My third order has now exceeded its latest delivery date and I've contacted them seeking action about it.

Maybe they use punctured dinghies?