On-line Stores & Sellers

Started by Expresso, July 02, 2007, 09:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulSC

I've been remiss in bringing my JPC story up to date. On the advice of helpful folks here at GMG, I e-mailed JPC and received a prompt and reassuring response. Roughly 2 weeks later, my purchase arrived in good shape. Took a long time, but I have no complaints!
Musik ist ein unerschöpfliches Meer. — Joseph Riepel

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

stingo

I've seen folks here at GMG ordering from Arkivmusic. I've always considered them too expensive to consider - should I rethink my position?

Coopmv

Quote from: stingo on December 01, 2012, 01:27:21 PM
I've seen folks here at GMG ordering from Arkivmusic. I've always considered them too expensive to consider - should I rethink my position?

No, you can often get better deals from a number of Amazon MP vendors and do not have to pay sale tax unless you live in a state that Amazon collects sale tax for ...

stingo

Quote from: Coopmv on December 01, 2012, 01:37:19 PM
No, you can often get better deals from a number of Amazon MP vendors and do not have to pay sale tax unless you live in a state that Amazon collects sale tax for ...

Amazon's recently started to collect sales tax so it's a consideration, but I find the prices and shipping rates better in the MP than Arkiv.

Coopmv

Quote from: stingo on December 01, 2012, 01:39:50 PM
Amazon's recently started to collect sales tax so it's a consideration, but I find the prices and shipping rates better in the MP than Arkiv.

There are other alternatives.  The moment Amazon collects sale tax for CT, I will move all my business to MDT and Presto, both UK based e-tailers.  They will not collect sale tax for CT and I do not pay VAT either.  The shipping charge for Presto is quite reasonable and quoted in Dollar anyway ...

stingo

Quote from: Coopmv on December 01, 2012, 01:43:34 PM
There are other alternatives.  The moment Amazon collects sale tax for CT, I will move all my business to MDT and Presto, both UK based e-tailers.  They will not collect sale tax for CT and I do not pay VAT either.  The shipping charge for Presto is quite reasonable and quoted in Dollar anyway ...

Yes, I've recently started buying at Presto and liked the deals I was getting. MDT is good too, but their shipping rates (especially on boxed sets) are higher than Presto. So Presto it has been.

Coopmv

Quote from: stingo on December 01, 2012, 01:59:25 PM
Yes, I've recently started buying at Presto and liked the deals I was getting. MDT is good too, but their shipping rates (especially on boxed sets) are higher than Presto. So Presto it has been.

Presto has the best shipping rate for European e-tailers, though its on-sale labels at any given time may be more limited compared with MDT.  It is highly unlikely they will ever collect state sale tax regardless of what state you live in ...

kishnevi

Quote from: stingo on December 01, 2012, 01:27:21 PM

Yes.
They do charge sales tax, and their shipping rates are comparable to Prestoclassical, which is the other vendor I use a lot of.  Of course, with Presto, you need to watch out for foreign transaction fees, which some cards will charge even on dollar denominated transactions.  I recently got a Capital One care, which does not those kind of charges,  so I can avoid them. 

Arkivmusic is in general more expensive, but they may be worth using in select cases.
--New releases:  usually (but with enough exceptions that it's not a general rule) below Amazon/AmazonMP prices.
--Weekend specials:  about half the time,  better than AmazonMP prices
--Sales on specific labels:  sometimes cheaper, sometimes not.

And to be honest,  if a CD is $15 or under, I don't run around to check AmazonMP if it's one I've been thinking about.  I order it from Arkiv when it's on sale, in preference to letting it remain on my Amazon wishlist until the day after forever....

The final factor is that Arkiv is usually very prompt about shipping;  assuming it's in stock,  they seem to ship an order I place over the weekend on Monday, although sometimes a partial shipment doesn't get sent out until Tuesday.   This in contrast to some Amazon MP vendors, or Amazon itself, that seem to take three or four days to get it into the mail.

Among European retailers, I use Presto, for items they have on sale;  they also (in my experience) seem to have slightly lower prices on sale items than MDT does, and of course lower shipping charges.  JPC is also good, although I don't use them that often.

My suggestion is to subscribe to the weekly newsletter to keep up to date on what they have on sale, and also their new releases letter; and if you see an item you're interested in, check.  It may be worth ordering from them--or not.

Coopmv

Quote from: stingo on December 01, 2012, 01:59:25 PM

One additional strong point for Presto and MDT is they both pack the CD's exceptionally well compared with the US etailers.  Only once in a blue moon do I receive a CD with busted jewel case.  I have given MDT a few thousand dollars worth of business over the past few years ...

kishnevi

Quote from: Coopmv on December 01, 2012, 04:56:28 PM
One additional strong point for Presto and MDT is they both pack the CD's exceptionally well compared with the US etailers.  Only once in a blue moon do I receive a CD with busted jewel case.  I have given MDT a few thousand dollars worth of business over the past few years ...

JPC is another vendor that is very good on that point.

stingo

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on December 01, 2012, 05:47:11 PM
JPC is another vendor that is very good on that point.

Agreed - except shipping to the States has a significant flat charge, so it's incentive  put together large orders (some of which may night be fiscally feasible at the time).

flyingdutchman

I look forward to the day people realize that sales tax actually helps fund important programs and infrastructure in their state.

kishnevi

Quote from: jo jo starbuck on December 12, 2012, 05:51:11 PM
I look forward to the day people realize that sales tax actually helps fund important programs and infrastructure in their state.

You obviously don't live in my state, which has a GOP governor and legislature dedicated to the idea that they should fund as few things with as little money as possible  as they can get away with.

Karl Henning

Granted, I should not mind to pay the 6.25% sales tax to the Commonwealth.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Sammy

Quote from: jo jo starbuck on December 12, 2012, 05:51:11 PM

It also helps fund waste and inappropriate programs.

flyingdutchman

You know, I've lived 52 years, and in all that time, the amount of "waste" as you call it, only came into being during the late 70s to now, and in all that time our health system and infrastructure has disintegrated.  I would rather pay my taxes and have health care and decent roads and transportation systems than a belief that we as individuals shouldn't have to pay for something because we "don't use it."

Opus106

Is anyone else from outside the UK seeing MDT's 'ex. VAT' field display the same number as the UK price?
Regards,
Navneeth

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Opus106 on December 20, 2012, 09:02:34 AM
Is anyone else from outside the UK seeing MDT's 'ex. VAT' field display the same number as the UK price?
I see different prices when I select a recording. When I look at the cart, it shows only one price.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Opus106

Quote from: mc ukrneal on December 20, 2012, 09:23:33 AM
I see different prices when I select a recording. When I look at the cart, it shows only one price.

Thanks; just want to make sure where the problem lies before I shoot off an email. I've been noticing this for about a week or two. I'm logged in, my address is in place, yet the prices are the same in the CD page. And it's the same price that appears in the cart as well. (I even tried it in two different browsers.)
Regards,
Navneeth