On-line Stores & Sellers

Started by Expresso, July 02, 2007, 09:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Octave

Quote from: Coopmv on December 31, 2012, 04:52:00 PM
Is £40.00 for the following set at MDT considered a good price?  Perhaps not ...

I got mine for US$53 including shipping from Importcds, during one of their bi-annual 10% off sales.  At the time, it was a much better deal than the other prices I saw, maybe not so much right now.  It's been a marvelous experience listening through it all, worth every penny. 
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

JerryS

Quote from: Brian on January 17, 2013, 03:35:24 PM
Does anybody know if Hyperion's on-site download prices subtract VAT when you download to the USA?

I bought a download (Bruckner: Symphony No. 7 [FLAC Studio Master (24-bit 96 kHz) Album])  from Hyperion yesterday. My credit card was charged the GBP amount listed on the site using the current conversion rate, 1.60 yesterday. VAT was not mentioned or itemized.

I converted the HD audio files to wav files and burned them to DVD-A using Discwelder Bronze.
Jerry

Coopmv

Quote from: mc ukrneal on December 31, 2012, 05:22:10 PM
It usually costs that or more at other sites. Importcds has it for $55+shipping (59.98 if in the US). I don;t know their rates outside the US.

I just ordered this set yesterday at Amazon US for just under $66 (shipping already included).  There is no advantage of buying the set from across the pond since there is really no price break there for me ...

Gurn Blanston

Has anyone else got one of these yet?

Dear Gurn,
We thought you'd like to know that eligible songs from "Dvorak: Symphonic Works" by Antonin Dvorak, a CD you purchased in 2012, are being added to your Cloud Player library. This means that high-quality MP3 versions of these songs are available for you to play or download from Cloud Player for FREE. You can find your songs in the "Purchased" playlist. Please note that some songs from the above CD are not eligible for this feature and may not be available in your Cloud Player library.

In addition, we're excited to announce AutoRip. Now when you buy any CD with the  logo, all songs from the MP3 version of that album will instantly be delivered to your Amazon Cloud Player library for FREE.

I don't know to what extent I am going to make use of this. I found it interesting though. So if I buy a disk direct from Amazon, they will rip it and stick the MP3's into the mythical "cloud" for me. Free, of course.    :-\

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Fafner

Quote from: Coopmv on January 19, 2013, 07:31:35 AM
There is no advantage of buying the set from across the pond since there is really no price break there for me ...

I generally stopped buying stuff from the US, not because of the price, but because of the EU import obstructions.
Everything above 22 euros in value is subject to VAT (21%) + customs handling fee (approximately $10). And even if no VAT is required, the package usually spends as much as a month in customs and sometimes it even gets lost (= stolen).
"Remember Fafner? Remember he built Valhalla? A giant? Well, he's a dragon now. Don't ask me why. Anyway, he's dead."
   --- Anna Russell

Coopmv

Quote from: Fafner on January 21, 2013, 12:15:45 AM
I generally stopped buying stuff from the US, not because of the price, but because of the EU import obstructions.
Everything above 22 euros in value is subject to VAT (21%) + customs handling fee (approximately $10). And even if no VAT is required, the package usually spends as much as a month in customs and sometimes it even gets lost (= stolen).

There is no VAT in the US YET.  I am not sure what dollar threshold would trigger an import duty when I buy from Europe, though I have exceeded $200 on a single order only on one occasion.  Buying on Amazon US is still good as long as I do not have to pay state sale tax.

Brian

Um. So MDT's giving me a quote of $66.99 shipping on my $183 shopping cart.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on January 28, 2013, 03:09:47 PM

Not too bad I guess. What do they charge for the shipment of each item?

Coopmv

Quote from: Brian on January 28, 2013, 03:09:47 PM

Shipping & Handling is not cheap at MDT.  I think Presto Classical is a bit cheaper when it comes S&H but MDT does have much better selections ...

kishnevi

Quote from: Coopmv on January 28, 2013, 05:41:16 PM
Shipping & Handling is not cheap at MDT.  I think Presto Classical is a bit cheaper when it comes S&H but MDT does have much better selections ...

I've found that if Presto has the same item on sale as MDT,  it will be cheaper at Presto;  and shipping charges are way less at Presto. You'd pay $66 in shipping charges only if you were ordering 60 plus items (and a box set counts as one item) or you were ordering an especially big and bulky boxset.  (About $3 for the first item, and approximately $1 per item for anything after that.) And I find the selection at Presto meets my needs as well as MDT's does.  Perhaps that's just a function of the type of music I prefer--at any rate,  I've stopped using MDT, mostly because of those shipping charges, which did seem rather steep to me when I did order from them once or twice.

Octave

Re: Presto, hear hear: I've bailed on good-looking MDT deals pretty much routinely because the large shipping rates to the USA cancel out the deal entirely.  On my last couple order from Presto, medium-small by my standards (~8 items), shipping came to perhaps $1.30 per item, a bit cheaper than Importcds domestic shipping (though the prices between those places end up balancing out, pending sales) and very little more than BRO.

Octave

MDT must charge per disc, because my ultimate total has been much higher at MDT than at Presto, at least for shipping to the US.  Maybe MDT has changed their shipping policy recently?  Presto charges per item, not per disc; though I have noticed that occasional heavier box sets incur a surcharge for weight.  (Nothing that I've ordered from them has suffered such a charge, yet.)

Daverz

Quote from: Octave on January 28, 2013, 08:47:09 PM
MDT must charge per disc, because my ultimate total has been much higher at MDT than at Presto, at least for shipping to the US.  Maybe MDT has changed their shipping policy recently?  Presto charges per item, not per disc; though I have noticed that occasional heavier box sets incur a surcharge for weight.  (Nothing that I've ordered from them has suffered such a charge, yet.)

MDT changed their shipping policies quite some time ago.  They are still cheaper than Amazon for single discs.

I usually use Presto for box sets, though MDT may still comes out cheaper for small sets.  You could also check Crotchet.

Brian

Quote from: George on January 28, 2013, 08:37:27 PM
MDT -   $2.00 for first CD, $1.00 every CD thereafter

Yeah, my problem was I had a couple of big jazz boxes (e.g., the RCA Complete Nina Simone) for which they were obviously charging by the disc instead of by the box.

stingo

Quote from: Brian on January 29, 2013, 04:34:17 AM
Yeah, my problem was I had a couple of big jazz boxes (e.g., the RCA Complete Nina Simone) for which they were obviously charging by the disc instead of by the box.

In that case, I can only imagine what the big Brilliant boxes ship for!

Coopmv

Quote from: George on January 29, 2013, 05:29:01 AM
Yes, for boxes, Presto is the way to go. For old school, jewel CDs, MDT is cheaper. (this is all speaking for shipping only)

Presto does not care if one item is a box set with 20 CD's, you pay that single item rate - $3.25.  MDT will pro-rate the box.  I have yet to figure out how they come up with the shipping charge if you have a box in the order ...

The new erato

mdt was my go to shop until their new postage rates started to apply a couple of years ago. Now I rarely use them, except for single discs when they have attractive offers and they've lost at least 80% of my business.

Coopmv

Quote from: The new erato on January 30, 2013, 12:50:04 AM
mdt was my go to shop until their new postage rates started to apply a couple of years ago. Now I rarely use them, except for single discs when they have attractive offers and they've lost at least 80% of my business.

MDT used to have better postage rates?  I do not like etailers make money off me via shipping & handling.  They already make money off the products I order ...

Brian

To be fair to MDT, when I lived in England and shipped boxes to the USA, they cost a fortune. I think I spent $80 mailing two boxes of sweaters. So Presto may be losing a lot of money on their P&P/shipping rates.

bluto32

Just a note to say how pleased I've been with Presto Classical. I've placed about 20 orders with them over the last couple of years, and everything has always arrived in perfect condition due to their sturdy packaging (strong cardboard boxes with bubble wrap) which puts Amazon to shame. For the first time, my most recent order contained a box set with a faulty disc; it looked fine, but skipped on a couple of tracks. I phoned up Presto, and received a replacement disc four days later without any hassle - a very good turnaround given they had to order in another box set.

Bluto