On-line Stores & Sellers

Started by Expresso, July 02, 2007, 09:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Quote from: Coopmv on February 17, 2013, 03:03:06 PM
I have been getting those free MP3 offers for some times.  But yours truly do not care for MP3 and have NEVER owned an iPod ...

Stuart - I have an older iPod Touch (2G) w/ about 80 hrs of MP3 music (an eclectic mixture of classical & non-classical) - I take it on the road w/ small Brookstone portable speakers that accept the iPod; also have a Sangean radio for the bedroom that accepts the iPod (puts me to sleep at night),  some Rockfish Bluetooth headphones which I pair w/ the iPod while exercising @ the YMCA (nice to be wireless), and finally an inexpensive Teac sound system on the porch that also accepts the iPod - MP3 or another lossy audio codec is the only way to have a lot of music on a portable device to use in these situations - NOW, I still have all of my CDs and in the den w/ the big speakers that's my preference, BUT nice to have 'both worlds' of sound options available - Dave :)

Brian

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 17, 2013, 04:08:03 PM
I put a couple of gigabytes of music on any device that will handle it, including the phone & the Kindle Fire HD. Because you just never know! I toss a set of phones into the gear bag and am ready for anything.  :)

8)

Oh Gurn, the way you describe this sounds like "I keep some cocaine in my gear bag just in case I need a hit..."

SonicMan46

MY GOD! I just checked my 'new' Amazon Cloud account and have 190 'albums' for streaming and/or download! Yikes -  ;D

Well, I'll turn on the Wi-Fi on the iPod tonight and go to Safari -> Amazon -> My Account to see if I can play my music over the Sangean radio via the Cloud - Dave :)

Coopmv

Quote from: Brian on February 17, 2013, 04:35:28 PM
Oh Gurn, the way you describe this sounds like "I keep some cocaine in my gear bag just in case I need a hit..."

Brian,  Aren't you an MP3 addict yourself?  I do not walk around with the earbuds in my ears ...    ;D

Coopmv

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 17, 2013, 04:16:15 PM
Stuart - I have an older iPod Touch (2G) w/ about 80 hrs of MP3 music (an eclectic mixture of classical & non-classical) - I take it on the road w/ small Brookstone portable speakers that accept the iPod; also have a Sangean radio for the bedroom that accepts the iPod (puts me to sleep at night),  some Rockfish Bluetooth headphones which I pair w/ the iPod while exercising @ the YMCA (nice to be wireless), and finally an inexpensive Teac sound system on the porch that also accepts the iPod - MP3 or another lossy audio codec is the only way to have a lot of music on a portable device to use in these situations - NOW, I still have all of my CDs and in the den w/ the big speakers that's my preference, BUT nice to have 'both worlds' of sound options available - Dave :)

Dave,  It may take a while before I get into cloud-classical music listening.  For now, I still listen to classical music the old-fashioned way.  I do listen to internet radio quite regularly though.

Lisz

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 17, 2013, 04:41:35 PM
MY GOD! I just checked my 'new' Amazon Cloud account and have 190 'albums' for streaming and/or download! Yikes -  ;D

Well, I'll turn on the Wi-Fi on the iPod tonight and go to Safari -> Amazon -> My Account to see if I can play my music over the Sangean radio via the Cloud - Dave :)

I had to download the Amazon Cloud Player, Dave, to stream on my iPhone, don't know about the IPod.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Coopmv on February 17, 2013, 06:00:35 PM
Dave,  It may take a while before I get into cloud-classical music listening.  For now, I still listen to classical music the old-fashioned way.  I do listen to internet radio quite regularly though.

Hey Stuart - still my favorite way to listen to music, i.e. on a good sound system! :)

Of course, the other option w/ an iPod & a Wi-Fi connection is that the Pandora app allows internet radio streaming of your 'personalized' channels - I've used that option on the porch when I do cook outs w/ the wife - Dave

SonicMan46

Quote from: Hildegard on February 17, 2013, 06:47:54 PM
I had to download the Amazon Cloud Player, Dave, to stream on my iPhone, don't know about the IPod.

Hi Hildegard - I have an old iPod (2G w/ iOS 4.2.2) - needs a browser update - I can get Amazon to offer me my cloud files on my iPad (iOS v.6.x) but not the iPod - assume that your iPhone is running the newest iOS; I've been delaying purchase of a new iPod (just lazy I guess), but may be the time to upgrade (would like that camera option) - Dave :)

Lisz

Quote from: Hildegard on February 17, 2013, 06:47:54 PM

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 17, 2013, 07:11:33 PM
Hi Hildegard - I have an old iPod (2G w/ iOS 4.2.2) - needs a browser update - I can get Amazon to offer me my cloud files on my iPad (iOS v.6.x) but not the iPod - assume that your iPhone is running the newest iOS; I've been delaying purchase of a new iPod (just lazy I guess), but may be the time to upgrade (would like that camera option) - Dave :)

I have a 4G iPod, Dave, the red collector's one, so I'm holding on to it, but hardly use it anymore. I'm sitll running iOS5 on my 3GS iPhone and iPad2 but recently got notification to upgrade to iOS6, so I'm not too au courant.     

The reason to download the Amazon Cloud Player App though is that it gives you a better view of the Playlist on a smal screen like on the iPhone. Have not streamed on my iPad yet, which may do just fine without the App.

I'm listening to the stream tonight and am enjoying it this way. It's perfect for a smaller room. I have a Philips DCM250/37, and the sound is not too shabby. Hope you're enjoying yours.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Hildegard on February 17, 2013, 08:49:25 PM
I have a 4G iPod, Dave, the red collector's one, so I'm holding on to it, but hardly use it anymore. I'm sitll running iOS5 on my 3GS iPhone and iPad2 but recently got notification to upgrade to iOS6, so I'm not too au courant.     

The reason to download the Amazon Cloud Player App though is that it gives you a better view of the Playlist on a smal screen like on the iPhone. Have not streamed on my iPad yet, which may do just fine without the App.

I'm listening to the stream tonight and am enjoying it this way. It's perfect for a smaller room. I have a Philips DCM250/37, and the sound is not too shabby. Hope you're enjoying yours.

Well, as you can see from my pics, I can use that old iPod on all of those devices, either the MP3s or streaming from Pandora - BUT, I want to obtain a newer one for the same purpose - just my 'portable' music player - now, I can 'plug in' my iPad2 via a stereo jack to most of those devices, so may just download the app you mention to the iPad and play some of my cloud music just for a try!  Thanks - Dave :)

Brian

Amazon is trying to block me from buying some Thelonious Monk because "You added this item from a Wish List, but someone has already bought it from the same list." When I go to my wishlist, it says "Gift Item Purchased from Wish List. We keep it hidden so we don't spoil your surprise."

Well, yeah, it's definitely a surprise, cuz my wish list is set to be private and nobody else can view it. And I hadn't told anybody I wanted Monk albums, and it's not Christmas or my birthday. I'm super confused.

KeithW

Quote from: Brian on January 17, 2013, 03:35:24 PM
Does anybody know if Hyperion's on-site download prices subtract VAT when you download to the USA?

They don't.  I queried this with Hyperion a while back - they told me there was no VAT on digital sales thus the ticket price was the same inside and outside the Euro tax zone.

listener

Quote from: Brian on February 26, 2013, 07:54:44 AM
Amazon is trying to block me from buying some Thelonious Monk because "You added this item from a Wish List, but someone has already bought it from the same list." When I go to my wishlist, it says "Gift Item Purchased from Wish List. We keep it hidden so we don't spoil your surprise."

Well, yeah, it's definitely a surprise, cuz my wish list is set to be private and nobody else can view it. And I hadn't told anybody I wanted Monk albums, and it's not Christmas or my birthday. I'm super confused.
The item may have been on other wish lists, and someone decided to finalize the purchase before you did.   That's possibly a generic response.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Octave

Has everyone here who has used Amazon Spain (Amazon.es) for deliveries to North America been happy with the results? 

Sorry to ask a question that no doubt has been broached a hundred times, but searches didn't turn up anything, and I didn't want to browse this whole thread.  I have tested some potential purchases before at Amazon.es and been horrified by the shipping costs, but this most recent time, I really did the math and it proves to be a slightly-good-to-really-good deal; I guess it just depends what you're getting.  I think Jeffrey once said that they often take about a month to get your stuff to you; but I guess I've had this experience a number of times with Zoverstocks and Oxfordshire via Amazon US-MP.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

The new erato

I use them all the time to Norway. Standard amazon packaging, standard delivery (my two last orders was sent on the same day/next day as the order, occasionally quite a bit later subject to availability I guess), cannot really see why it would be different to the US.

KeithW

I've had a handful of deliveries from them.  No issues - packaging good by Amazon standards.  Delivery time didn't strike me as being too long - 7-10 days on average I think.  But I was conscious of what seemed like a hefty S&H charge.  Their low prices did offer some offset, as you indicate.

kishnevi

I think AmazonSpain changed its shipping charges; my last two orders seem have been charged per item, and not the arbitrary per order fee I remember from before.  Does Amazon Italy still have the per order fee?

Yes, it does seem to take a month or just under for their orders to come through, although I think the most recent order only took three weeks to get to me.  It was actually mailed from Amazon's British facility, according to the packaging.   The delivery time is well within normal for any deliveries from Europe--anywhere from one week to four weeks:  JPC, Amazon France and Prestoclassical seem to be at the quicker end of the spectrum.  It's mostly a question of transit time:  Amazon Spain seems to be as quick, but no quicker, than any of the other Amazons (France, UK, Italy, US) I've dealt with in actually getting the item into the mail.

Coopmv

Quote from: KeithW on February 28, 2013, 11:57:16 AM
I've had a handful of deliveries from them.  No issues - packaging good by Amazon standards.  Delivery time didn't strike me as being too long - 7-10 days on average I think.  But I was conscious of what seemed like a hefty S&H charge.  Their low prices did offer some offset, as you indicate.

You meant when compared to Amazon US?  It is rare not to receive cracked jewel cases these days from Amazon US ...     >:(

huntsman

I've stumbled through a few of the latter pages of this thread, and it seems that almost without exception there are three outlets that everyone uses:

Presto
MDT
Amazon

That about right?
RAP - Add a C to improve it...

The new erato

At least quite a lot of us Europeans. Add europadisc.co.uk for my part.