On-line Stores & Sellers

Started by Expresso, July 02, 2007, 09:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The new erato

Probably lost or delayed in transit. Send them a mail.

On a related note: I have had two calls from private individuals in my neighbourhood the last 4 days reporting having found amazon packages with my name on it at the side of the road. One of them contained the complete Hyperion Liszt set..................... And the carrier is the Norwegian Mail. On the upside I don't have to pay import taxes on it as it is never registered as delivered.

Opus106

Thanks for the replies, Alan and Erato. Unless I have a surprise waiting for me at home, this evening I'll send them a mail.
Regards,
Navneeth

Brian

Quote from: The new erato on May 30, 2013, 12:12:02 AM
Probably lost or delayed in transit. Send them a mail.

On a related note: I have had two calls from private individuals in my neighbourhood the last 4 days reporting having found amazon packages with my name on it at the side of the road. One of them contained the complete Hyperion Liszt set..................... And the carrier is the Norwegian Mail. On the upside I don't have to pay import taxes on it as it is never registered as delivered.
Goodness, just out the back of the truck. Reminds me of the time when my father's plane was taking off and he looked out the window and saw his luggage on the runway.

The new erato

Quote from: Brian on May 31, 2013, 08:44:16 AM
Goodness, just out the back of the truck. Reminds me of the time when my father's plane was taking off and he looked out the window and saw his luggage on the runway.
As long as it wasn't parts of the plane......

Brian

Quote from: The new erato on May 31, 2013, 09:48:00 AM
As long as it wasn't parts of the plane......
Nope. He got to the destination, called back to the previous airport, and told them what yellow runway sign his luggage was nearest. They said, "you're crazy," and then called back to say they had it.

SonicMan46

Well, I'm always amazed at some of the prices for CDs on the Amazon MP - I can't imagine WHY such idiots price these discs at the amounts being asked - TONIGHT, a new top record (maybe - can't remember) - but Brian brought up the composer Johann Quantz, mainly flute works - I've had a disc on my 'want list' for 2+ yrs (flute quartets) - BUT was just browsing the Amazon listings for this composer and saw the CD imaged below of 'Flute Concertos' - asking price from Japan is $788 (of course, $4 S/H - a deal breaker for me! ;)) - NOW, what idiot would even set this price and what fool would even consider paying for it?  Maybe it's a mistake?  Don't know but did chuckle - Dave :)

Parsifal

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 05, 2013, 05:20:24 PM
Well, I'm always amazed at some of the prices for CDs on the Amazon MP - I can't imagine WHY such idiots price these discs at the amounts being asked - TONIGHT, a new top record (maybe - can't remember) - but Brian brought up the composer Johann Quantz, mainly flute works - I've had a disc on my 'want list' for 2+ yrs (flute quartets) - BUT was just browsing the Amazon listings for this composer and saw the CD imaged below of 'Flute Concertos' - asking price from Japan is $788 (of course, $4 S/H - a deal breaker for me! ;)) - NOW, what idiot would even set this price and what fool would even consider paying for it?  Maybe it's a mistake?  Don't know but did chuckle - Dave :)

Listing on amazon marketplace is absolutely free, which means there is no risk and the potential reward is large.  I imagine that once in a blue moon some lunatic who absolutely must have one of those recordings goes for it. 

Brian

Many Amazon Marketplace sellers use computer software to set the prices of products - often with preposterous results! Click here to read the story of the Amazon Marketplace seller who tried selling a textbook for $23,698,655.93.

kishnevi

A couple of weeks ago, I ordered (among other items) the Fouccrelle recording of the complete Bach organ works, a 14 CD box.

When it arrived,  I discovered that it contained CDs 1-4, 6-9, and 11-14; two copies of CD 10;  no copy of CD 5

Sent up a flare to Prestoclassical by email describing the problem; they responded within 24 hours with a promise to order in a new set from the distributor, and send me a copy of CD 5 when it arrived.   Approximately two days, later, they sent an email notifying me the CD had been dispatched;  it arrived on Friday--just about a week's transit time. 

So once more some very good service from Prestoclassical, and a very helpful gentleman there named Dave.

Octave

I'm really glad you mentioned that error in the Bach/Foccroulle/Ricercar set, Jeffrey.  (The box is of course 16cd not 14cd, though I think that was just a typo.)  Your post sent me scurrying to double-check my own, which I'd only opened thus far to look at the fat booklet.   :-[  I probably still need to open each of these sleeves to make sure the correct discs were placed in each; Ricercar's a lovely label, but I don't understand the reasoning behind them sealing shut each and every paper disc sleeve like an envelope.  "Your product is absolutely not used!"  Ears only.

If it's okay to discuss defects and seller/label contacts:

[asin]B004UVCP9O[/asin]
Schubert: PIANO SONATAS 9 & 11 etc [Sviatoslav Richter] (Alto ALC1115, 2010)

The way I described the defect was:
QuoteIn the final long track (11), starting at 6:30, playback begins to halt and flutter and sputter (?), with frequent harsh digital clipping.  After eventually reaching ~7:30 (not in real time), playback seem to basically abort altogether.

Eventually they determined that even their office reference disc contained the same error, surprising them since the disc had been on the market for a few years now:
QuoteSince my last email, I've got into a complicated detectie exercise trying to determine which of our inventory is efective.  Apparently the first pressing was defective, the second which was supposed to replace it was OK, but then a subsequent pressing rather disastrously went back to the original defective master, a very disruptive and expensive mistake by our factory which we hope to get some compensation for.

Only mentioning this in case any of you own the disc and want to double-check, or in case you buy a new copy in the future.  AFAIK a replacement is in the mail to me.

I'll be happy to move this post if we already have a "defective products" thread, or if someone starts one.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Jay F

How fussy are you about stuff you order from Amazon Marketplace sellers?

I bought a CD graded "Like New" on Amazon Marketplace. I received it this week, and the disc was in perfect condition, and the booklet was present. No problems with either. But the case was a piece of crap, with one sticker on it, and two splotches of goo where other stickers had obviously been removed.

If I had been selling this CD, I would have graded it "Very Good" and written something like "Disc and booklet like new. Case with sticker goo," and priced it a couple of dollars less. I paid a couple of dollars more for "like new," and didn't get what I paid for. So I wrote to the seller, who responded by saying:
">a cd that has art work and disc like new should be graded "very good" because of some residue on a non broken or scratched jewel case? i cannot win. if i change the case i will get a complaint it wasn't sent in the original jewel case. i think i need to change careers..."

To which I responded with Amazon's definition of "Like New":
Used - Like New: An apparently untouched item in perfect condition. Original protective wrapping may be missing, but the original packaging is intact and pristine. There are absolutely no signs of wear on the item or its packaging. Instructions are included. Item is suitable for presenting as a gift.

I let him know that when I sell things on AM or eBay, I don't mark them Like New unless they meet those criteria.

Then the seller said:I guess I will throw out my 14 years of selling experience and hang it up.

Now it's time to give him feedback.

What would you do?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jay F on June 15, 2013, 09:59:15 AM
How fussy are you about stuff you order from Amazon Marketplace sellers?

I bought a CD graded "Like New" on Amazon Marketplace. I received it this week, and the disc was in perfect condition, and the booklet was present. No problems with either. But the case was a piece of crap, with one sticker on it, and two splotches of goo where other stickers had obviously been removed.

If I had been selling this CD, I would have graded it "Very Good" and written something like "Disc and booklet like new. Case with sticker goo," and priced it a couple of dollars less. I paid a couple of dollars more for "like new," and didn't get what I paid for. So I wrote to the seller, who responded by saying:
">a cd that has art work and disc like new should be graded "very good" because of some residue on a non broken or scratched jewel case? i cannot win. if i change the case i will get a complaint it wasn't sent in the original jewel case. i think i need to change careers..."

To which I responded with Amazon's definition of "Like New":
Used - Like New: An apparently untouched item in perfect condition. Original protective wrapping may be missing, but the original packaging is intact and pristine. There are absolutely no signs of wear on the item or its packaging. Instructions are included. Item is suitable for presenting as a gift.

I let him know that when I sell things on AM or eBay, I don't mark them Like New unless they meet those criteria.

Then the seller said:I guess I will throw out my 14 years of selling experience and hang it up.

Now it's time to give him feedback.

What would you do?

I always knock a star off for stuff like that, and I put a short statement in the comment section that I didn't agree with the seller's description, something simple like : graded as 'like new', but was 'very good', or maybe 'seller should have disclosed that there was label glue smeared on the case which prohibited me from giving it as a gift'. 

There is no point to knock off stars without telling why, but no need to go into a world of detail either. Don't let his sarcasm buffalo you. sarcasm is cheap while good service costs him something.

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

I'd contact Amazon, who will probably refund you in consideration for the unnecessary grief element. And I'd rate the seller very poor, for (a) misrepresenting the condition of the disc, (b) lousy customer service, and (c) snotty sass over and above (b).

Tell us who the seller was.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 15, 2013, 10:11:05 AM
I always knock a star off for stuff like that, and I put a short statement in the comment section that I didn't agree with the seller's description, something simple like : graded as 'like new', but was 'very good', or maybe 'seller should have disclosed that there was label glue smeared on the case which prohibited me from giving it as a gift'. 

There is no point to knock off stars without telling why, but no need to go into a world of detail either. Don't let his sarcasm buffalo you. sarcasm is cheap while good service costs him something.

8)

Good.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

kishnevi

Perhaps I'm in a minority here, but if the only defect was sticker goo on the case, then I would have thought the appropriate action was an application of rubbing alcohol or GooBGone, not a complaint--in my eyes, it would have qualified as "Like New".

If it was more than that, then, yes, you should keep complaining until you get something satisfactory.  I've had one such problem with an Amazon MP vendor, MovieMops, and it took several complaints before the vendor agreed to refund some of the money.   (In that instance, the slipcase was missing and the CD was scratched.)

But it's just because of potential problems like this that I avoid buying used CD online, doing so only when it's the only option and the price is low enough that even if the CD condition (which for me is the only really important consideration)  is poor,  I won't mind the price.

And in either case the sarcasm was quite wrong, and justifies some negative feedback.

Parsifal

Just a notice that my favorite non-Amazon vendor, www.importcds.com, is having a general sale, 10% off every order.  (You have to type in a discount code which is shown on the main page.) 

Importcds.com has prices which are usually about the same as the lowest Amazon MP price. (They also sell as an Amazon MP seller.)   A big advantage of using their own site is that after charging $3 for the first item, they only add $1.50 shipping per item.  That can save a lot if you order a few items at a time.

Jay F

Not my day with Amazon Marketplace sellers. This time it's the original version of the Emersons' Beethoven String Quartets box set. I opened it up and it smelled like I'd fallen into a perfume factory. I know some sellers use dryer sheets either as part of the packaging they send you, or in the boxes of bubble wrap and peanuts and what not they keep in their homes. It just reeks.

The total package is unambiguously horrible. Not the "very good" it was sold as. Smelly. Dirty. Scratched discs. I had no problem asking for either a return or a refund of half my money. I wish I didn't hate the new box sets as much as I do, or I'd've just bought one of those. As you may surmise from my complaining here and about another CD earlier, how things look is important to me, and I can't stand these new sleeves that are so tight you have to either use your fingertips to get the CD out, or risk having it fall on the floor.

I had no problem asking for either a return or a refund of half my money.

Jeffrey is right. Buying used CDs online is risky. I only do it when I can't get a new version of something for a reasonable price.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Jay F on June 15, 2013, 12:13:33 PM
Not my day with Amazon Marketplace sellers. This time it's the original version of the Emersons' Beethoven String Quartets box set. I opened it up and it smelled like I'd fallen into a perfume factory. I know some sellers use dryer sheets either as part of the packaging they send you, or in the boxes of bubble wrap and peanuts and what not they keep in their homes. It just reeks.

The total package is unambiguously horrible. Not the "very good" it was sold as. Smelly. Dirty. Scratched discs. I had no problem asking for either a return or a refund of half my money. I wish I didn't hate the new box sets as much as I do, or I'd've just bought one of those. As you may surmise from my complaining here and about another CD earlier, how things look is important to me, and I can't stand these new sleeves that are so tight you have to either use your fingertips to get the CD out, or risk having it fall on the floor.

I had no problem asking for either a return or a refund of half my money.

Jeffrey is right. Buying used CDs online is risky. I only do it when I can't get a new version of something for a reasonable price.
I have to agree with you. I tried making a number of used purchases earlier this year. 50% were fine and as good or better than advertised. Another 25% were not quite so, but not too bad (acceptable), but the other 25% had the same issues you related. I was lucky that all of the sellers seemed to be reasonable and very quick to respond. I don't know if it is the right way to deal with it, but I usually lay out the situation and ask the seller how they want to fix it. Most of the time, much to my surprise, they gave a full refund and didn't even ask for the disc back (admittedly, no sets, and nothing extravagently expensive). But the whole thing has made me leary of doing used in the future unless the disc is OOP and not possible at a decent price any other way. But even then, I think I will be using it sparingly and buy new where I can.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Jay F

Here's the response I got from the perfumed CD seller:

Hello, I really don't appreciate your comment. first of all you got a great deal for 18 dollars. Did you wanted me to send your the CD's in a Chanel Box? guess what? I will ship my items with what i got!! I'm not you buyer and whatever you do with them is your business!!

So I responded by leaving him this feedback on AM:

1 out of 5 (stars): Worst buying experience I've ever had on AM. Condition should have been marked "Poor" or seller should have stated that the package reeked of perfume or dryer sheets. The discs weren't VG, either. And seller was nasty about it: "Did you want me to send you the CDs in a Chanel Box? I'm not you, buyer and whatever you do with them is your business!!" Avoid like the plague, buyers.

Ugh. All the discs and packaging components are airing out on a table. I hope I'll want to go near them someday. Did I want him to send me the CDs "in a Chanel Box"? No, I'm complaining because they smell as if he did send them in a Chanel box.

bigshot

I once got a used CD that smelled like Mussorgksy!