On-line Stores & Sellers

Started by Expresso, July 02, 2007, 09:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parsifal

Quote from: mc ukrneal on June 15, 2013, 12:51:38 PM
I have to agree with you. I tried making a number of used purchases earlier this year. 50% were fine and as good or better than advertised. Another 25% were not quite so, but not too bad (acceptable), but the other 25% had the same issues you related. I was lucky that all of the sellers seemed to be reasonable and very quick to respond. I don't know if it is the right way to deal with it, but I usually lay out the situation and ask the seller how they want to fix it. Most of the time, much to my surprise, they gave a full refund and didn't even ask for the disc back (admittedly, no sets, and nothing extravagently expensive). But the whole thing has made me leary of doing used in the future unless the disc is OOP and not possible at a decent price any other way. But even then, I think I will be using it sparingly and buy new where I can.

You must be a lot more fussy than me, because 99% of my used disc purchases are fine.  I don't pay much attention to the condition advertised (which is poorly defined anyway) I just restrict myself to sellers with very good feedback and go to used only if I can save 50% of the purchase price of a new item.  My favorite source for used is Zoverstocks.  Condition is always acceptable, although you must wait for the discs to make their way across the Atlantic.

DaveF

Quote from: Scarpia on June 15, 2013, 10:50:44 AM
Just a notice that my favorite non-Amazon vendor, www.importcds.com, is having a general sale, 10% off every order.

They also sell on eBay UK as all_your_music.  My favourite too.  All their eBay sales offer free postage - OK, they probably add postage to their prices, but it's a nice gesture.  My last purchase was Boulez's Webern/Varèse/Carter/Berio box - 6 discs for something silly like £13.  Delivery is extraordinarily quick, too.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Pat B

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on June 15, 2013, 10:44:44 AM
Perhaps I'm in a minority here, but if the only defect was sticker goo on the case, then I would have thought the appropriate action was an application of rubbing alcohol or GooBGone, not a complaint--in my eyes, it would have qualified as "Like New".
And in either case the sarcasm was quite wrong, and justifies some negative feedback.

Even as someone who really doesn't care about the jewel box (I use jazzloft sleeves) I have to disagree. Amazon's condition guidelines are very clear, Jay paid extra for 'Like New,' and his message was reasonable.

The indignant response from the seller ignored the obvious solution which was to grade it 'Used - Very Good,' perhaps with an explanation, as Jay suggested.

I'd like to know who that seller is, so I can avoid him just based on his rudeness.

With that said, my experience buying on AMP has been uniformly good. In the few cases where I have complained, the seller has offered an acceptable solution.

Jay F

Quote from: George on June 15, 2013, 04:17:03 PM
All of my online buying of used CDs is through amazon marketplace sellers. I used to not have a lot of trouble getting just what was advertised, in the condition advertised, but all that has changed for some reason. These days, almost all of the used stuff I buy that is isn't actually in the condition it was listed in. Sometimes it's better! Often it isn't, though. I get "Like New" stuff delivered in "Very Good" condition or cut-outs (that weren't listed as such) or club copies. When this happens, I promptly let the seller know and request a partial refund, one that I will be happy with. They either:

1. Agree and give me the discount I ask for, or
2. Give me a full refund (sellers with 100% ratings seem to handle it this way) or
3. They give me a smart ass answer and I simply file an A to Z claim (as Karl suggested) and get all my money back.

In the case of 3 (almost never happens), they get poor feedback (1 star); for cases 1 and 2, they get 5 stars.

So to me, buying on amazon is ideal. There is no risk. If I am not happy, I don't have to pay, that's amazon's guarantee. And as I described above, things almost never reach that point, as the sellers are usually willing to settle ahead of time.

What you describe, George, is the way returns/complaints usually play out for me on AM, and it's always been case #1 or #2. I never had a case #3 until today. Do you have to send the CDs back in case #3? I've already given the seller his 1 star, and I don't even want to touch his smelly shit again. I thought the smell might dissipate if I aired it all out, but all I have now is a smelly living room.

Jay F

Quote from: karlhenning on June 15, 2013, 10:11:53 AM
Tell us who the seller was.

Quote from: Pat B on June 15, 2013, 07:21:55 PM
Even as someone who really doesn't care about the jewel box (I use jazzloft sleeves) I have to disagree. Amazon's condition guidelines are very clear, Jay paid extra for 'Like New,' and his message was reasonable.

The indignant response from the seller ignored the obvious solution which was to grade it 'Used - Very Good,' perhaps with an explanation, as Jay suggested.

I'd like to know who that seller is, so I can avoid him just based on his rudeness.

The first seller, whom Karl and Pat are inquiring about, is rmutt99. The perfumed CDs guy calls himself fastmedia123.

Octave

Quote from: Scarpia on June 15, 2013, 10:50:44 AM
Importcds.com...A big advantage of using their own site is that after charging $3 for the first item, they only add $1.50 shipping per item.  That can save a lot if you order a few items at a time.

Except for almost all 'heavy' items (box sets usually starting with 3 discs, sometimes even just two), which are $3.5 additional per item.  Plus a $1.50 surcharge per order, unless that has changed.  (It looks like maybe the new scheme is what you mentioned: $3 for the first item or $5 for the first 'heavy' item, then $1.50/$3.50 each additional.)  I've still found their prices to be the lowest I can find on many things, if only by a little. 

My only complaint is about Importcds' customer service, which in my limited experience is rather hurried, generic, and unhelpful....and I don't pester them much at all, about anything.  Unlike Arkiv and Presto, where I get marvelously responsive customer service.  (But usually pay "for" it!  So to speak.)

EDIT: on the other hand, I have had almost no problems with Importcds...I order, they ship extremely quickly....boom-boom.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Scarpia on June 15, 2013, 02:19:49 PM
You must be a lot more fussy than me, because 99% of my used disc purchases are fine.  I don't pay much attention to the condition advertised (which is poorly defined anyway) I just restrict myself to sellers with very good feedback and go to used only if I can save 50% of the purchase price of a new item.  My favorite source for used is Zoverstocks.  Condition is always acceptable, although you must wait for the discs to make their way across the Atlantic.
I might be fussier than you are. It is a good suggestion to stick to the higher rated sellers, as I did seem to get the better service from them. And Zoverstocks did generally give better descriptions that better matched the qualty of the actual product. And I don't mind that it can take 6 weeks, although one item did get lost from them, which they promptly credited. Where I paid a really low price (50% or more off list price), I have fewer complaints anyway. Still, I've only actually had a handful of cases where there were problems, so it's a small percentage we are talking about.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

kishnevi

Quote from: Jay F on June 15, 2013, 01:54:54 PM
Here's the response I got from the perfumed CD seller:

Hello, I really don't appreciate your comment. first of all you got a great deal for 18 dollars. Did you wanted me to send your the CD's in a Chanel Box? guess what? I will ship my items with what i got!! I'm not you buyer and whatever you do with them is your business!!

So I responded by leaving him this feedback on AM:

1 out of 5 (stars): Worst buying experience I've ever had on AM. Condition should have been marked "Poor" or seller should have stated that the package reeked of perfume or dryer sheets. The discs weren't VG, either. And seller was nasty about it: "Did you want me to send you the CDs in a Chanel Box? I'm not you, buyer and whatever you do with them is your business!!" Avoid like the plague, buyers.

Ugh. All the discs and packaging components are airing out on a table. I hope I'll want to go near them someday. Did I want him to send me the CDs "in a Chanel Box"? No, I'm complaining because they smell as if he did send them in a Chanel box.

It could have been worse.  It could have smelled like a sewage plant. 
But in this case, it sounds like I would have demanded a full refund. 
Too bad it's not possible to give a "zero" stars rating on Amazon. 

Karl Henning

Quote from: Jay F on June 15, 2013, 07:55:28 PM
The first seller, whom Karl and Pat are inquiring about, is rmutt99. The perfumed CDs guy calls himself fastmedia123.

Thanks!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Jay F

Quote from: George on June 16, 2013, 07:58:52 AM
No.
I have to wait two business days after trying to resolve the matter with the seller before contacting Amazon about it.

Thanks for sharing your experience with Amazon, George. I've bought so many things from AM sellers, and this is the first time I've ever had an issue in which the seller was unwilling to make a bad purchase good. Whenever I've had an issue like this with something I've sold (which has happened only two or three times since 1999), I refund either half or all of their money, and I let them keep the item.

Karl Henning

Man, I appreciate now just what luck I have had with the third-partiers.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Jay F

Quote from: karlhenning on June 17, 2013, 06:20:09 AM
Man, I appreciate now just what luck I have had with the third-partiers.

Until last week, I'd've said the same thing. No problems for years and years, and then two in the same week.

Brian

Last third-partier I had from Amazon, got my money back after never receiving the CD. They were, however, very apologetic about it.

Opus106

Quote from: Opus106 on May 29, 2013, 11:05:23 PM
Europadisc.

Now, to those who have used their service, have you noticed any delays or particularly lengthy delivery times? Earlier this month (6/5, UK time) I ordered from them, for the first time, and two days later I received an e-mail stating that the items were ready to be dispatched. It's now over three weeks since that happened and I'm yet to receive them. CDs from UK stores (small boutique ones, like Presto and MDT, or big stores like Amazon) have never taken more than a fortnight to arrive; and this also includes the time from ordering to dispatch. And no, I haven't been contacted by Customs Dept. to pay duty or whatever -- it's always delivered at the door. I just want to make sure of their practices, before I send an e-mail informing them of the delay or possibly a parcel lost in transit.

That ended rather well. I sent an e-mail that very evening and received a reply within a couple of hours. I was politely asked to wait for one more week and told that if the parcel didn't turned up by then I would be sent replacement copies. Nothing turned up. I informed them about that on the 10th; new copies were dispatched on the 13th, and I received the package today. Throughout the communication, with one Richard Cox (who runs the store, I think), he was quick to respond and courteous. Thumbs up for Europadisc!
Regards,
Navneeth

Pat B

About a month ago I ordered an item from an AMP seller that showed 8 left in stock. The order was cancelled with a message that it was out of stock. Not the end of the world but still irritating. Eventually I left feedback of 3 stars ("neutral") with an explanation. Almost immediately the seller sent me an apology and an offer to send the disc free of charge.

I got the disc and removed the neutral rating. The seller, Lachobba78, is now on my good list.

Fafner

Hmm, I still do not have my Verdi box from Vivace Classical after two months.
No further info since they wrote that it is going to be delayed.

I cannot complain about not having anything to listen to, but I am starting to lose my patience.
"Remember Fafner? Remember he built Valhalla? A giant? Well, he's a dragon now. Don't ask me why. Anyway, he's dead."
   --- Anna Russell

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Fafner on July 27, 2013, 06:47:41 AM
Hmm, I still do not have my Verdi box from Vivace Classical after two months.
No further info since they wrote that it is going to be delayed.

I cannot complain about not having anything to listen to, but I am starting to lose my patience.
I would defnitely write them again if you have not heard from them recently.

PS: Did this used to be Arkiv Europe?
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

The new erato

Quote from: mc ukrneal on July 27, 2013, 06:57:31 AM
I would defnitely write them again if you have not heard from them recently.

PS: Did this used to be Arkiv Europe?
Yes.

Parsifal

I have three orders which shipped from Europe to the US (sold by marvelio and zoverstocks) which are overdue (orders of Aug 28, Aug 31, Sept 12).  I have found that shipping times from europe can vary wildly (perhaps due to backlog at customs).  Anyone else having a similar experience?

Brahmsian

Quote from: Scarpia on October 06, 2013, 06:55:23 AM
I have three orders which shipped from Europe to the US (sold by marvelio and zoverstocks) which are overdue (orders of Aug 28, Aug 31, Sept 12).  I have found that shipping times from europe can vary wildly (perhaps due to backlog at customs).  Anyone else having a similar experience?

I've only ordered a few times from Europe, at Abeilles Musique in France.  Delivery time had been better than I expected.

I just recently ordered this week from the 'Russian CD shop'.  We'll see how long that takes.  :D