On-line Stores & Sellers

Started by Expresso, July 02, 2007, 09:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: ChamberNut on October 06, 2013, 07:03:16 AM

I just recently ordered this week from the 'Russian CD shop'.  We'll see how long that takes.  :D

Oh...what did you order from them, Ray? Anything good?

Opus106

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 06, 2013, 07:05:52 AM

I bet it's total crap like Bach.
Regards,
Navneeth

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 06, 2013, 07:05:52 AM

The complete Miaskovsky string quartets, performed by the Taneyev SQ on Northern Flowers label.  Was cheaper overall, than going on Amazon.ca and via third party sellers.

Mirror Image

Quote from: ChamberNut on October 06, 2013, 07:16:24 AM
The complete Miaskovsky string quartets, performed by the Taneyev SQ on Northern Flowers label.  Was cheaper overall, than going on Amazon.ca and via third party sellers.

Nice! Hope you enjoy them, Ray. :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Scarpia on October 06, 2013, 06:55:23 AM
I have three orders which shipped from Europe to the US (sold by marvelio and zoverstocks) which are overdue (orders of Aug 28, Aug 31, Sept 12).  I have found that shipping times from Europe can vary wildly (perhaps due to backlog at customs).  Anyone else having a similar experience?

Well, certainly similar on the 'vary wildly' front. I've ordered from both of those places as well as the German ones that all operate under the same name, one of which is Momox. Within the last 2 weeks I received one from England that took  less than a week (!)  and I have had a few that took up to 8 weeks. Twice I have had them not show up at all, one time got a refund, another time they shipped me a new copy of the disk (which is what I really wanted anyway) and told me if the original showed up to go ahead and keep it. It did show up about 3 months later. I have come to the conclusion that they are pretty reliable, but transportation times are out of their control, I think your speculation about Customs is pretty accurate. BTW, another seller I like over there is ONLINE EXPRESS out of Prague. They have some scarce labels, like Novalis. Only problem I have had with them is not always having what they advertise, which never fails to piss me off. When they do have it though, they are fast shipping.   :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Parsifal

Good to hear that you have found marvelio generally reliable.  I will hang on a while longer.  I'm surprised because usually the overseas mail delays are worst around the December rush.  Last year a Zoverstocks package that was shipped in December never arrived (they refunded without quibbling), and it is starting to put me off overseas Amazon MPs.  I can't regret the marvelio order (the Vegh/Mozart Serenades box) because they undercut everyone else on price by a hundred bucks.

North Star

I have three orders which shipped from Europe to the US (sold by marvelio and zoverstocks) which are overdue (orders of Aug 28, Aug 31, Sept 12).  I have found that shipping times from europe can vary wildly (perhaps due to backlog at customs).  Anyone else having a similar experience?
My experience is just the opposite ;)
But seriously, it usually takes about a week more than the estimated time for sth from the US, but lately there have been smaller delays, or none.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

DavidW

I want to de-rec the amazon seller Marvello who took 2 1/2 weeks to ship me cds not from overseas but from PA.  It should have taken at most a week to receive those cds.  That is a clear violation of amazon's policy which requires the seller to ship within two business days.

Parsifal

Quote from: DavidW on October 06, 2013, 07:46:20 AM
I want to de-rec the amazon seller Marvello who took 2 1/2 weeks to ship me cds not from overseas but from PA.  It should have taken at most a week to receive those cds.  That is a clear violation of amazon's policy which requires the seller to ship within two business days.

When you view the listings on Amazon MP, PA is given as the shipping location, but I believe they ship from Europe, which is somewhat deceptive in itself.  (The shipping service listed listed on the shipping notice is DHL GlobalMail).  If or when the package arrives I will presumably be able to tell the shipment date and origin.

We have in common that I don't feel a warm fuzzy feeling for marvelio right now, but I'm wiling to put up with slow delivery for the prices they were offering.  No delivery is another matter.

The new erato

Delays are welcome by me as my heaps are too high already.

kishnevi

I have three orders which shipped from Europe to the US (sold by marvelio and zoverstocks) which are overdue (orders of Aug 28, Aug 31, Sept 12).  I have found that shipping times from europe can vary wildly (perhaps due to backlog at customs).  Anyone else having a similar experience?

I've ordered three times in the relatively recent past from Prestoclassical.  The first two orders took almost exactly one week to reach me.  The third one was sent out September 1724, and has not arrived, but I've had orders from Presto take two to three weeks to reach me, and overall up to a month from some European vendors, so it's too early to be alarmed.

However,  given the DC temper tantrums now going on aka The Shutdown,  wouldn't US Customs be impacted?  I'd not be surprised if many packages are sitting in some Customs facility waiting for customs inspectors to return from furlough, or wherever customs inspectors go during government shutdowns.

Gurn Blanston

But it didn't really ship from PA, not originally at least. They are just like Momox, who say they ship from New Jersey. That's true, but when you place an order to them they ship it from Germany to New Jersey and then they ship it to you. I don't think that there is a single seller using that business model who actually originates a shipment from whatever drop box they use in order to have a USA address. Now, if you think THAT is wrong, then that's what you need to complain to Amazon about, the fact that they enable that bullshit.

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Brian

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on October 06, 2013, 08:45:18 AM
However,  given the DC temper tantrums now going on aka The Shutdown,  wouldn't US Customs be impacted?  I'd not be surprised if many packages are sitting in some Customs facility waiting for customs inspectors to return from furlough, or wherever customs inspectors go during government shutdowns.

Just wait til Ted Cruz finds out he can't keep ordering rare HIP Schubert chamber music CDs!

Daverz

Quote from: Brian on October 06, 2013, 11:58:10 AM
Just wait til Ted Cruz finds out he can't keep ordering rare HIP Schubert chamber music CDs!

New GOP talking point: Obama is keeping your JPC orders hostage!

DavidW

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 06, 2013, 11:44:15 AM
But it didn't really ship from PA, not originally at least. They are just like Momox, who say they ship from New Jersey. That's true, but when you place an order to them they ship it from Germany to New Jersey and then they ship it to you. I don't think that there is a single seller using that business model who actually originates a shipment from whatever drop box they use in order to have a USA address. Now, if you think THAT is wrong, then that's what you need to complain to Amazon about, the fact that they enable that bullshit.

8)

Thanks for the fyi.  I just wish that they would advertise that.  Other sellers truthfully say "we ship internationally" so you know to expect a delay.

Parsifal

Guess what arrived today, one of my packages from Marvelio (ordered August 31).

[asin]B000GFKUEK[/asin]

It was indeed sent DHL Global mail but the tracking number reports the origin was indeed PA last week.  That is consistent with Gurn's supposition that they sent product from Europe to the US in batches to be dispatched separately.

In any case, Marvelio's prices can be very low, and I would not hesitate to order again.  I can tolerate a delay, as long as the item arrives eventually.

I gave up on my Zoverstock package (ordered August 17) and complained.  They refunded immediately without quibbling.  I don't think I will order from Zoverstock again.

Karl Henning

Tossers!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

DavidW

That is unfortunate from Zoverstock Scarpia, I had good experiences with them in the past.  Maybe they're starting to slip.

Karl Henning

Pity . . . it's a while since last I ordered from them, but Zoverstock had always done right by me, as well.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot