On-line Stores & Sellers

Started by Expresso, July 02, 2007, 09:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Well, not one experience is the same, Brian. I was as surprised as anyone to have had a problem with them, but, like I said, the problem wasn't enough for me to burn the bridge completely.

mc ukrneal

I find that the achilles heel of nearly all online ordering (non-cds included) is when items are not in stock (pre-order falls into that). If I were to count all my internet order issues over the years, I'd probably find that 75% or more were connected to that. Once I stopped ordering cds that were not in stock, the number of problems I have has decreased considerably.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Brian

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 06, 2013, 07:41:33 PM
Well, not one experience is the same, Brian. I was as surprised as anyone to have had a problem with them, but, like I said, the problem wasn't enough for me to burn the bridge completely.

Actually today I looked at a record of my October ImportCDs order (6+ weeks ago) and saw they're still trying to find 3 CDs I ordered from them. I haven't gotten any email notifications or any updates since the order was placed. The fourth CD that has not arrived was apparently cancelled, according to the record I found.

This marks the second time I've gotten burned on a cancelled out-of-stock order for the same disc: ImportCDs and MDT have both failed to deliver Schubert's String Quintet D956 as played by the Prazak Quartet and Marc Coppey.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on December 06, 2013, 07:47:02 PM
Actually today I looked at a record of my October ImportCDs order (6+ weeks ago) and saw they're still trying to find 3 CDs I ordered from them. I haven't gotten any email notifications or any updates since the order was placed. The fourth CD that has not arrived was apparently cancelled, according to the record I found.

This marks the second time I've gotten burned on a cancelled out-of-stock order for the same disc: ImportCDs and MDT have both failed to deliver Schubert's String Quintet D956 as played by the Prazak Quartet and Marc Coppey.

Ah, yes, I think we've all encountered problems of some kind with internet retailers. Not every order will always be a success.

The new erato

I've never had a problem with presto. OTOH; I dont fly off the deep end when the supply chain has delays either, and fully understand that an item may not be in the pipeline simultaneously in all markets. Come on guys; this is CLASSICAL music, it is not like it is fresh cupcakes. It has been around for some years, it will be around for some time, and it is not like we don't have anything else to listen to.

My Pacifica vol IV set is on backorder at mdt too (and was preordered a couple of months ago - and the other items in the order have been received ages ago); and I haven't even in my wildest dreams contemplated being irked about it. Instead I have some additional weeks enjoying the pleasure of looking forward to listening to it, and enjoying other stuff instead. It will turn up when it is available to the shop.

If you want to complain about it, you should write to Cedille or the UK importer that surely has failed to supply the set to UK webshops simultaneously with other channels.

I don't undertand the frustration, neither do I understand making presto the target. I'll go and order something with them to make them happy.

bluto32

Just noticed all this about Presto, and thought I'd mention my experiences.

I've ordered with them quite regularly for just over 2 years now, and on the whole have found them to be excellent. Their packaging is second to none, with sturdy boxes and lots of bubble-wrap. No item has ever arrived in anything less than immaculate condition - the same is not true of Amazon, sadly.

The one time I had a faulty CD (part of a box-set), I telephoned them, and they immediately offered to send me the replacement disc without my having to return mine. As the item was no longer in stock, they had to order another one in; I was impressed to receive it within 4 days of my call.

I did recently have to wait a long time (over 2 months I think) for another box set to arrive, but they did send me emails every couple of weeks to let me know there was a delay with their distributors, and offered to refund me my card at any time should I get sick of waiting. I could have had a refund and shopped elsewhere, but I had got a super price from Presto in a sale and didn't mind waiting. While I agree that it is irritating on principle that a card is charged before the goods are sent out, it seems to be pretty common practice when shopping online. As long as the company is willing to refund when there is an excessive wait, then that is acceptable to me.

Anyway, I hope that anyone experiencing current difficulties gets them resolved!

Que

Quote from: mc ukrneal on December 06, 2013, 07:44:48 PM
I find that the achilles heel of nearly all online ordering (non-cds included) is when items are not in stock (pre-order falls into that). If I were to count all my internet order issues over the years, I'd probably find that 75% or more were connected to that. Once I stopped ordering cds that were not in stock, the number of problems I have has decreased considerably.

My Golden Rule - it works.  :)

Apart from that I don't understand why Presto seems to require payment before the order is dispatched?

Q

The new erato

Quote from: Que on December 07, 2013, 12:23:54 AM
My Golden Rule - it works.  :)

Apart from that I don't understand why Presto seems to require payment before the order is dispatched?

Q
Some shops do. I wish they didn't, but it's only a minor nuisance. Small operations may be hit by customers ordering and being out of funds when ready to ship I guess, this being more important for small businesses.

premont

Quote from: Que on December 07, 2013, 12:23:54 AM

Q

I have dealt with Presto Classical for about 10 years, and there has never been even the slightest problem.
So from my point of view Presto is one of the most reliable and service-minded CD-shops on the net.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mirror Image

Quote from: The new erato on December 06, 2013, 11:11:27 PMI don't undertand the frustration, neither do I understand making presto the target. I'll go and order something with them to make them happy.

So Presto Classical stating on their website an item will be dispatched in 1 day and then them never sending the item because all of sudden it's out of stock doesn't qualify as a Presto Classical problem? Also, the part where you buy something from them to make them happy makes no sense whatsoever. I personally don't buy anything for myself to make someone else happy, I buy a recording, or box set, to make me happy and as long as I receive the item I'm supposed to in a timely manner --- I am, indeed, a happy customer.

The new erato

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 07, 2013, 04:55:25 AM
So Presto Classical stating on their website an item will be dispatched in 1 day and then them never sending the item because all of sudden it's out of stock doesn't qualify as a Presto Classical problem? Also, the part where you buy something from them to make them happy makes no sense whatsoever. I personally don't buy anything for myself to make someone else happy, I buy a recording, or box set, to make me happy and as long as I receive the item I'm supposed to in a timely manner --- I am, indeed, a happy customer.
The joke was lost on you I guess, but they're an extremely dependable outfit and don't deserve the flak. As this disc doesn't seem to be available at other UK outlets either, I guess the problems lie elsewhere. As to whether they should have updated their website with new availability information, in an ideal world yes, but they list tens of thousands of discs and probably depend on data (and files) from their suppliers. The set will turn up when it does, if no it's painless to get a refund and order it elsewhere. It's not as if it's an OOP item due to disappear. No big deal.

Mirror Image

Quote from: The new erato on December 07, 2013, 05:52:16 AM
The joke was lost on you I guess, but they're an extremely dependable outfit and don't deserve the flak. As this disc doesn't seem to be available at other UK outlets either, I guess the problems lie elsewhere. As to whether they should have updated their website with new availability information, in an ideal world yes, but they list tens of thousands of discs and probably depend on data (and files) from their suppliers. The set will turn up when it does, if no it's painless to get a refund and order it elsewhere. It's not as if it's an OOP item due to disappear. No big deal.

Yeah, the joke was lost on me. No doubt about it. :) Anyway, I'm not giving Presto Classical any flak just sharing my experience with other people and stating the obvious that not one experience is going to be the same as the last one and problems will arise from time to time. It's just the nature of doing business on the internet.

The new erato

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 07, 2013, 05:56:11 AM

It's just the nature of doing business on the internet.
That's right. I generally have had better service on the web than in the bricks and mortar stores I used to use; they usually had no better luck with their suppliers than most webshops, in fact, usually being smaller, they were far worse when I ordered something not in stock. And you all know that the stock they carried were a far cry from what we find on the web. I will be truly blessed if I suffer no worse than a delayed (or OOP) disc. Where's the Christmas spirit and wider perspective folks?

mc ukrneal

Quote from: George on December 07, 2013, 05:18:41 AM
Sure, but some sellers, like MDT, list stuff that they later find out is out of stock with their distributors. So when you order, there's no way to know if it is in stock yet.
True. But even there, there is a system to the madness. I tend to stick to 'ships in 1-3 days' as opposed to 2 or 4 weeks, for example, as the likelihod of it being in stock is much greater. Still, most sites tell you something of a timeline and I try to stick to the lower numbers.

In general, I don't worry about delayed discs or other issues if the company just tells me what is going on. Mdt is good at this (or responding quitckly if I call).
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

The new erato

Prestos website now say about this item that " This item is currently out of stock at the UK distributor. You may order it now but please be aware that it may be six weeks or more before it can be despatched. (Available now to download.)". My experience is that they send mail to customers hit by this explaining the situation, offering a refund.

Mirror Image

Quote from: The new erato on December 07, 2013, 06:04:20 AM
That's right. I generally have had better service on the web than in the bricks and mortar stores I used to use; they usually had no better luck with their suppliers than most webshops, in fact, usually being smaller, they were far worse when I ordered something not in stock. And you all know that the stock they carried were a far cry from what we find on the web. I will be truly blessed if I suffer no worse than a delayed (or OOP) disc. Where's the Christmas spirit and wider perspective folks?

Well, I don't believe in Christmas, so that doesn't mean anything to me. As for the wider perspective, well I understand your point, but this doesn't exclude my right to come here and share my experience since this thread is dedicated to online stores. I wouldn't have shared this experience at all if Presto Classical would have sent me an email stating that the item was out-of-stock, but it was only after I emailed them on the whereabouts of my item that they said that, all of a sudden, the item was no longer in stock. Sorry, but that's just poor customer service, I don't care what you say, but, as I have also said before, I'm not going to let this negative experience taint my attitude towards them, but it certainly did leave a bad taste in my mouth. That's all I'm saying.

Brian

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 07, 2013, 06:37:57 AM
Well, I don't believe in Christmas,
Mere curiosity; do you exchange gifts?

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on December 07, 2013, 06:48:29 AM
Mere curiosity; do you exchange gifts?

I don't believe in the religious, and especially, the commercial aspects of Christmas, but I do believe in the being with loved ones like family and the giving aspect of it.

The new erato

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 07, 2013, 06:37:57 AM
Well, I don't believe in Christmas,
Neither do I. But that don't mean I that don't have a jolly good time every Christmas with family and friends.  ;)

North Star

Quote from: The new erato on December 07, 2013, 07:08:44 AM
Neither do I. But that don't mean I that don't have a jolly good time every Christmas with family and friends.  ;)
+1
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr