On-line Stores & Sellers

Started by Expresso, July 02, 2007, 09:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Octave

Is there an app/extension/engine/service that allows one to scan one's Amazon cart (and its 'saved' section, and one's wishlists) for items that are offered ELIGIBLE FOR SUPER SAVER SHIPPING from 3rd-party Marketplace sellers (these seem to usually be 'fulfilled by Amazon')?
Just for those occasions when I've queued up couple-few items that meet those criteria but don't want to buy something that I don't already want.

Ideally the search would not limit itself to items in the cart/lists that are already from the 'eligible' seller, but would scan all sellers for the 'saved' item and alert me to a "Super Saver" option.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Octave

Idle curiosity here.
Two questions that have probably been asked:

1. Why do so many releases by BIS and Brilliant end up with multiple Amazon product pages, with different ASINs?  I haven't kept track, but it's amazing how often I find this to be the case.  (At least, on Amazon US.)  It seems like very often, they are clearly not different products, i.e. CD vs. SACD.  Release dates seem to often be different.

2. Why was there recently (this past week?) a wholesale disappearance of a large number of Sony 'Classical Masters' series bargain boxes, often including not just Amazon direct stock, but also Marketplace options; with the announcement 'released on 25 march' added, as though they had become new releases?
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Ken B

Quote from: Octave on March 14, 2014, 09:15:11 PM
Idle curiosity here.
Two questions that have probably been asked:

1. Why do so many releases by BIS and Brilliant end up with multiple Amazon product pages, with different ASINs?  I haven't kept track, but it's amazing how often I find this to be the case.  (At least, on Amazon US.)  It seems like very often, they are clearly not different products, i.e. CD vs. SACD.  Release dates seem to often be different.

2. Why was there recently (this past week?) a wholesale disappearance of a large number of Sony 'Classical Masters' series bargain boxes, often including not just Amazon direct stock, but also Marketplace options; with the announcement 'released on 25 march' added, as though they had become new releases?
2 yes. I wrote superstore and got a somewhat confusing answer about the products not being officially realeased yet. And for a while listed as label Naxos. So not sure but something changed.

Harry

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

HIPster

Quote from: Harry's on March 17, 2014, 11:59:34 AM
Read all about JPC and what they think the word service means.

http://walboi.blogspot.nl/2014/03/jpc-de-drama-part-ii-final-chapter.html?spref=tw

So sorry to read about the major issues you have had with JPC, Harry.

Quote from: Moonfish on March 08, 2014, 05:59:19 PM
Lately I have been buying a bunch of stuff from 'Classical Music Superstore" on Amazon's marketplace.  I find that they ship things quickly and have good prices. Quite impressed!
Quote from: Ken B on March 08, 2014, 06:18:03 PM
They are fabulous. Fast, cheap, they respond to emails and questions. My MP vendor of choice. I have found I-Deals very good too.

Count me in as a fan of Classical Music Superstore - are they a part of Naxos U.S.A.? - and I-Deals as well.

I also often look for Orpheus Classics on the mp, having had many excellent dealings with them.

Quote from: DavidW on March 08, 2014, 10:01:06 PM
Me too (three?).  They are my favorite and I'll pay a little bit more to have them over the other sellers.  I remembered one time I received a Ligeti box set from them (brand new) and one of the was duplicated, and one of the volumes missing.  They shipped me another box set free of charge. :)

Wow, that is great service, DavidW!   :)

Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: HIPster on March 17, 2014, 03:13:59 PM
So sorry to read about the major issues you have had with JPC, Harry.

Count me in as a fan of Classical Music Superstore - are they a part of Naxos U.S.A.? - and I-Deals as well.

I also often look for Orpheus Classics on the mp, having had many excellent dealings with them.

Wow, that is great service, DavidW!   :)

I agree, Harry's deal is absolutely horrible. I can't imagine JPC didn't hop all over their billing partner to help save a good customer from getting raped. They won't be getting MY business again! >:(

As for CMS, they will be getting my business! They are my #1 choice whenever I am buying a new (opposed to used, which I buy a lot too) CD. Just bought 3 from them today, in fact. Not least, they handle some of the more obscure labels I prefer, like Ars Musici, for example. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

DavidW

I concur with Gurn Harry.  As I posted on your google+ wall, I will not buy from JPC again.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 17, 2014, 04:04:29 PM
As for CMS, they will be getting my business! They are my #1 choice whenever I am buying a new (opposed to used, which I buy a lot too) CD. Just bought 3 from them today, in fact. Not least, they handle some of the more obscure labels I prefer, like Ars Musici, for example. :)

8)

+1 A great Amazon MP seller. I've been doing business with them for several years now. They probably know me really well by now. :)

I imagine this scenario -

Salesperson #1: "Oh look, John has made another order! This must be his tenth one this week!"
Salesperson #2: "What else is new?!?!?"
Salesperson #3: "John who?"

;D

Mirror Image

I never used JPC and reading about Harry's problem with them will never give them my business either. Sorry to hear you've had such a difficult time with them, Harry. Trust me, I've had some problems with online sellers as well like MovieMars for example.

Harry

Thanks guys for the moral support, I kind of needed that. So here a little update.

http://walboi.blogspot.nl/2014/03/remember-my-faulty-ballet-disc-with.html?spref=tw
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

premont

Quote from: Harry's on March 19, 2014, 12:14:43 AM
Thanks guys for the moral support, I kind of needed that. So here a little update.

http://walboi.blogspot.nl/2014/03/remember-my-faulty-ballet-disc-with.html?spref=tw

It is very distressing to read your report. I have dealt with JPC for maybe twelve years, and I have often made similar operations, i.e. sent a big order and adding a few CDs afterwards, and I have never experienced anything similar to what you describe. On the contrary JPC has offered me impeccable service. Once when a CD from a box set were missing, they immediately sent me another. And another CD some years later, which was broken, was replaced without discussion.

The only problem, I have met with them, is caused by their practice to "reserve" the amount for an order on my credit card every week. In Germany reservations are deleted by the bank every week, so JPC has to re-reserve the amount every week to make sure, that the money is available, when they ship the order. In my country a reservation is deleted by the bank only once a month, and this results in the strange thing, that an amount for any order may accumulate on the card up to four or even five times the real cost - but only on the paper. I have never experienced, that my card in the end was charged for more money, than the real cost. A few years ago I had a long discussion by email with them about this, but they do not intend to change this practice. The result is, that my card becomes overloaded by fictive expenses, and in my country there is an upper limit of about 290 Euro per month, as to how much you can buy from abroad.  Presto demands the money for an order transferred to them before they begin to handle the order, and later they refund the cost for CDs they have not been able to deliver. JPC reserves the amount on one´s credit card and does not get the money until they have shipped the order. Two different principles. I think Presto´s principle is preferable.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

kishnevi

I used JPC only sporadically because of their high shipping costs, and have only ordered items from them that are listed in stock (with one exception).  So the situation Premont mentioned has not occurred to me.   I've had no problems with them, but that also means I have no idea of how their customer service is or is not.  Nevertheless, it's one vendor I don't really need to deal with, and the order now in transit to me will probably be my last.

I will re-iterate that I've had complications with some orders I've placed with Prestoclassical, and their response has been exemplary, including answering emails over the weekend when most vendors are off picknicking with their families or whatever.

stingo

I'm just surprised they'd treat such a long time and prolific customer that way. I order from them once in a blue moon, but will find other places with which to do business.

Moonfish

Is it my imagination or does Zoverstocks take two billion years to deliver their shipments...?   :(
I think I will never buy from them again.
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Moonfish on March 28, 2014, 03:46:38 PM
Is it my imagination or does Zoverstocks take two billion years to deliver their shipments...?   :(

Usually at least 3-4 weeks. I don't use them...

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Ken B

Quote from: Moonfish on March 28, 2014, 03:46:38 PM
I just got one I ordered on my birthday, which is quick for them. I use them when they are a lot cheaper or if I want a random surprise in the mail a month hence. Momox is slow too.

Moonfish

Quote from: Ken B on March 28, 2014, 04:49:21 PM
I just got one I ordered on my birthday, which is quick for them. I use them when they are a lot cheaper or if I want a random surprise in the mail a month hence. Momox is slow too.

True, their prices are typically pretty low, but most of the time rivaled by others in the MP. I guess I am getting way too used to getting things pretty quickly nowadays (<---- spoiled).   ::)
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Ken B

Quote from: Moonfish on March 28, 2014, 06:23:18 PM
True, their prices are typically pretty low, but most of the time rivaled by others in the MP. I guess I am getting way too used to getting things pretty quickly nowadays (<---- spoiled).   ::)
Sometimes they are astonishingly cheap. But I too am used to quick these days. Ideals, aka blowitoutahere, is just down I75 as is superstore, and I get free 2day UPS on a lot of purchases. So I am serious about the surprise! I sometimes forget I ordered something. I often get things so fast I am shocked from a lot of places, but never zo.

DavidW

Since most of the time the prices from other sellers are usually just a few dollars more (sometimes just pennies more), I usually (but not always) avoid the sellers that import from the UK.  I find that imports take about 3 weeks for delivery.  In US stores I'll have it in my hands from half a week to a week.  Amazon will deliver in 1-2 days.

kishnevi

I've found Mediamars to tbe slowest US vendor I've used.  It can take a couple of days for the item to be shipped, and often they seem to use the slowest alternative among mail options.   So, like Zoverstocks, I use them only when the price difference is substantial enough to make the delay worthwhile.  (That said,  I've got one CD each just ordered and shipped from Mediamars and Zoverstocks.)