Unsung composers

Started by Albion, September 03, 2011, 12:57:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Albion

In case members of GMG are unaware of UC, there is a forum specifically devoted to little-heard composers -

http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php

It is a thriving (if rather smaller in scale) community biased towards music that is less familiar in performance and recording. Recently a new section specifically devoted to providing digital downloads was created, focussing on radio broadcasts and out-of-print recordings, which can be accessed on joining the forum. Several members of GMG are members of UC and vice versa - a great way of spreading useful information and opinions between different on-line communities.

;D
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Albion on September 03, 2011, 12:57:00 PM
In case members of GMG are unaware of UC, there is a forum specifically devoted to little-heard composers -

http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php

It is a thriving (if rather smaller in scale) community biased towards music that is less familiar in performance and recording. Recently a new section specifically devoted to providing digital downloads was created, focussing on radio broadcasts and out-of-print recordings, which can be accessed on joining the forum. Several members of GMG are members of UC and vice versa - a great way of spreading useful information and opinions between different on-line communities.

;D

Yes, spread the news, Albion!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Dundonnell

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Dundonnell on September 03, 2011, 01:58:13 PM
So we can ALL go to jail together?? ;D ;D

What a marvellous prospect (if we can have our music with us).  ;)
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Albion

Quote from: Dundonnell on September 03, 2011, 01:58:13 PM
So we can ALL go to jail together?? ;D ;D

At least here in the UK, given the recent domestic troubles, I doubt there will be any room.
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Albion on September 03, 2011, 02:01:51 PM
At least here in the UK, given the recent domestic troubles, I doubt there will be any room.

Bummer!

Dundonnell

Quote from: Albion on September 03, 2011, 02:01:51 PM

Particularly if we take all our downloads with us ;D ;D

Albion

Quote from: Dundonnell on September 03, 2011, 02:04:00 PM
Particularly if we take all our downloads with us ;D ;D

The cakes smuggled in would contain a very different sort of 'file'.

;D

Dundonnell

Quote from: Albion on September 03, 2011, 02:09:21 PM
The cakes smuggled in would contain a very different sort of 'file'.

;D

Haha!

Hattoff

Oh, my goodness. There's music there I have only dreamt of hearing :) Will join right now.

Luke

Quote from: Hattoff on September 03, 2011, 11:28:16 PM
Oh, my goodness. There's music there I have only dreamt of hearing :) Will join right now.

Ditto. Except I did it already....

Wanderer

Thanks for the heads-up, Albion! I wasn't aware of UC. Irrespective of the downloads section (an impressive resource in itself), a quick glance last night showed a vibrant community with lots of very interesting (well, to me) subjects and discussions... and the same forum format as here. What more could one ask?  8)

vandermolen

Thanks to a 'tip off' from a GMG member I found Rootham's Second Symphony and downloaded it - a fine work, quite different to Symphony No 1 on Lyrita.  The early recording of Bantock's 'Celtic Symphony' looks a must too.

See you all in Wormwood Scrubbs!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Albion

Quote from: vandermolen on September 04, 2011, 12:37:56 AMSee you all in Wormwood Scrubbs!

I could do with free access to a gym, the internet and Sky TV.

The moderators at UC are strict as to what can be made available. Quite rightly, commercially-available recordings are taboo, but everything else is fair-game, especially radio broadcasts shared between friends. Much of this repertoire would otherwise be completely inaccessible and enthusiasts' willingness to share means that performances are not lost (the National Sound Archive in London, whilst containing a large number of broadcasts, is far from comprehensive in it's coverage).

;D

Cato

Well, now I sort of kind of have a vague, hazy, fuzzy notion of what few things might possibly be available at site UIC!   ;D

I was hoping for some works by e.g. Julian Carrillo, Ivan Wyschnegradsky, and Sergei Protopopov, but I will look into some of the people listed.

Many thanks for your efforts!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Lethevich

Thank you for the pointer! :)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Dundonnell

I joined an hour ago.

What can I say? It is like Christmas has come early, except it is several Christmases rolled into one :) :) :)

All but one of the unavailable Wordsworth symphonies, the Alan Bush Symphony No.4 and Piano Concerto, Cooke's Cello Concerto, the Fricker 3rd, the Stanley Bate Piano Concertos Nos. 2 and 3, McCabe's 3rd, the Hoddinott 10th, the Simpson Cello Concerto.....etc, etc, etc.

I am fit to explode ;D ;D ;D

This is just wonderful :) Thank you over and over again :) It just goes to show how generous music-lovers can be ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on September 04, 2011, 06:33:25 AM
I joined an hour ago.

What can I say? It is like Christmas has come early, except it is several Christmases rolled into one :) :) :)

All but one of the unavailable Wordsworth symphonies, the Alan Bush Symphony No.4 and Piano Concerto, Cooke's Cello Concerto, the Fricker 3rd, the Stanley Bate Piano Concertos Nos. 2 and 3, McCabe's 3rd, the Hoddinott 10th, the Simpson Cello Concerto.....etc, etc, etc.

I am fit to explode ;D ;D ;D

This is just wonderful :) Thank you over and over again :) It just goes to show how generous music-lovers can be ;D

Yes, I agree. This morning I downloaded the 1948 recording of Bantock's 'Celtic Symphony' - wonderful.  The opening has even greater atmosphere and depth to the wonderful Hyperion recording. My other recommendation is Ruth Gipps Symphony No 4 - a masterpiece. Also Rootham's Symphony 2 and I shall be very interested to hear John Kinsella's 6th Symphony having enjoyed the two earlier symphonies (3 and 4) on Marco Polo.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dundonnell

Isn't it just fantastic, Jeffrey?

I shall be busy for days :) :) :)

I am almost finished the final Appendix to the fourth and last part of my book...only the Introduction and Conclusion to follow...but it will have to wait ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on September 04, 2011, 06:49:16 AM
Isn't it just fantastic, Jeffrey?

I shall be busy for days :) :) :)

I am almost finished the final Appendix to the fourth and last part of my book...only the Introduction and Conclusion to follow...but it will have to wait ;D

Yes, it may take months now that you have discovered 'unsung composers' - I will try to arrange adjacent cells for us in Wormwood Scrubbs (as in the 'Shawshank Redemption - I'll have the end cell  :D) so that we can continue to compare notes there Colin  :)

Even Novak's 'Autumn Symphony' is available for download  :o - not much school homework marking will be going on this term - they will have to wait  8)