Unsung composers

Started by Albion, September 03, 2011, 12:57:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

England and Scotland are safe again, with these two men behind their stereos.

Holland, too, come to think of it, as I am going to listen to Bantock's Celtic.  ;D

Later: Wow! What beauty!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

vandermolen

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on September 04, 2011, 07:00:42 AM
England and Scotland are safe again, with these two men behind their stereos.

Holland, too, come to think of it, as I am going to listen to Bantock's Celtic.  ;D

Wow! What beauty!

Let us know what you think Johan - the opening is wonderfully atmospheric I think.  The historic recording (only a few years after the Celtic Symphony was composed) adds to it I think.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on September 04, 2011, 07:16:59 AM
Let us know what you think Johan - the opening is wonderfully atmospheric I think.  The historic recording (only a few years after the Celtic Symphony was composed) adds to it I think.

That 'Wow!' was for Bantock. The Celtic Symphony just finished. I love it. In the beautiful passages the strings sound more 'melting',  and in the more robust ones they have an earthier sound than in the classic Handley recording. Wonderful performance!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

vandermolen

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on September 04, 2011, 07:22:51 AM

That 'Wow!' was for Bantock. The Celtic Symphony just finished. I love it. In the beautiful passages the strings sound more 'melting',  and in the more robust ones they have an earthier sound than in the classic Handley recording. Wonderful performance!

Yes, it's great - faster than the Handley, as was possibly the custom at the time (was it on a 78 or early LP I wonder?) - quite a different performance but very beautiful in the lyrical sections and, as you say, earthier in the more robust passages + there is a greater sense of rhytmic urgency I think - very moving.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on September 04, 2011, 07:27:02 AM
Yes, it's great - faster than the Handley, as was possibly the custom at the time (was it on a 78 or early LP I wonder?) - quite a different performance but very beautiful in the lyrical sections and, as you say, earthier in the more robust passages + there is a greater sense of rhytmic urgency I think - very moving.

Yes, forgot to mention that - that tempo is much faster, but it works really well. The piece is less contemplative that way, perhaps even less overtly 'beautiful'.

vandermolen

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on September 04, 2011, 07:31:01 AM

Yes, forgot to mention that - that tempo is much faster, but it works really well. The piece is less contemplative that way, perhaps even less overtly 'beautiful'.

The harps are very fine at the end too. Altogether a more confident performance I think; 17.31 minutes as opposed to Handley's 19.55 minutes.

Albion

Dundonnell has reported problems downloading a couple of files from the British music folders over at UC. From experience with mediafire (a very good but not infallible host) this can happen from time to time without any apparent reason, especially if the file has not been accessed for quite a while. As with most things to do with computing, nothing ever seems to operate in quite the way that it should do all the time!

???

Hopefully, this glitch is limited to just a few 'rogue' items, but if members are downloading files from the British section and encounter similar intractable error messages, please send me a list of these and I will endeavour to get them sorted out.

;D
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

Dundonnell

Lethevich

So not to derail the Jones thread with more comments on the list:

The Cooke works intrigue me, naturally, as I am a bit of a fan of his music - but it's a shame that the 2nd, which I believe fellow GMG member Christo considers to be his finest work, is notable by its absence in both yours and Albion's lists. I wonder whether the thing has even been recorded? :'( Meh, something to look forward to at least - although the recent releases of his 1st and 3rd symphonies on Lyrita being old recordings doesn't exactly bode well for anything new.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Mirror Image

Koechlin fits the mold of an unsung composer I think. :D As much as I would like to think that his music is being heard, it's probably not.

thalbergmad

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 06, 2011, 11:34:55 AM
Koechlin fits the mold of an unsung composer I think. :D As much as I would like to think that his music is being heard, it's probably not.

My only experience of him thus far was his Ballade Op.50. I thought it was beautiful and flowing, but its haunting melodies would stop me from listening to it again in a dark room on my own.

Thal

Mirror Image

Quote from: thalbergmad on September 06, 2011, 11:43:23 AM
My only experience of him thus far was his Ballade Op.50. I thought it was beautiful and flowing, but its haunting melodies would stop me from listening to it again in a dark room on my own.

Thal

Yes, the Ballade written for piano and orchestra is a beautiful work. I heard it on YouTube. I do not own that EMI disc it appeared on. This is the recording:

If you need any suggestions of Koechlin recordings or maybe where to go next, then don't hesitate to ask me or visit the Koechlin composer thread.

vandermolen

Quote from: Albion on September 04, 2011, 11:02:12 PM
Dundonnell has reported problems downloading a couple of files from the British music folders over at UC. From experience with mediafire (a very good but not infallible host) this can happen from time to time without any apparent reason, especially if the file has not been accessed for quite a while. As with most things to do with computing, nothing ever seems to operate in quite the way that it should do all the time!

???

Hopefully, this glitch is limited to just a few 'rogue' items, but if members are downloading files from the British section and encounter similar intractable error messages, please send me a list of these and I will endeavour to get them sorted out.

;D

I couldn't download Novak's 'Autumn Symphony' from the Czech composer's section.

Dundonnell

Quote from: vandermolen on September 06, 2011, 02:54:38 PM
I couldn't download Novak's 'Autumn Symphony' from the Czech composer's section.

I downloaded it but it is in .rar format of course which needs to be opened.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Tell Jeffrey to download 7-zip, Colin. Then he can unpack the file...

http://www.7-zip.org/

:D

Luke

Quote from: Dundonnell on September 06, 2011, 03:06:49 PM
I downloaded it but it is in .rar format of course which needs to be opened.

it sounds to me like the opening is missing from the first movement, which is a shame.

Dundonnell

Music from European and American composers taped by me and not otherwise available on cd(or at least not as far as I know :D):

Henk Badings:        Double Violin Concerto

Conrad Beck:          Clarinet Concerto

Boris Blacher:         Cello Concerto
                              Collage for orchestra

Carlos Chavez:       Violin Concerto

Henry Cowell:         Symphony No.4 "Short Symphony"
                               Concerto for percussion and orchestra

Lukas Foss:            "A Parable of Death"

Camargo Guarnieri:  Choro for cello and orchestra

Oscar van Hamel:     Symphony No.4

Roy Harris:                Fantasy for piano and orchestra
                                 "Kentucky Spring" for orchestra

Anton Heiller:            Organ Concerto

Edwin Komauer:       Symphony No.1                           (Webern's first teacher!)

Lars-Erik Larsson:    Variations for Orchestra
                                 Music for Orchestra

Colin McPhee:          Symphony No.2

Juan Orrego-Salas:  Symphony No.2                               (Chilean composer)

Willem Pijper:           Symphonic Drama "Halewijn"

Walter Piston:          Concerto for Orchestra
                                Concertino for piano and chamber orchestra

Jean Rivier:              Symphony No.3

Henri Sauguet:        Piano Concerto No.1

Ottmar Schoeck:      Cantata "Vom Fischer und syner Fru"

William Schuman:     Voyage for orchestra

Eugen Souchon:       Phantasy on Bach for organ and orchestra

Bernard Wagenaar:  Symphony No.4

J.Z. Herrenberg

Another nice list, Colin, and one which doesn't cause RSI.  ;D

Can't wait for the next one, with all those Asian symphonists.  ;)

Dundonnell

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on September 07, 2011, 04:55:04 AM
Another nice list, Colin, and one which doesn't cause RSI.  ;D

Can't wait for the next one, with all those Asian symphonists.  ;)

As they say......."wait on!" :D :D

Luke

Was interesting to download the Anthony Burgess Piano Concerto - yes, that Anthony Burgess. Now, I wonder if anyone, anywhere in the world, has a recording of his Concertino for Cor Anglais and Orchestra. I have the score, I'd love to hear it!