Unsung composers

Started by Albion, September 03, 2011, 12:57:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cilgwyn

Nit picking,I know;but the McPhee has been or was available as a cd. I downloaded it a while back from Amazon. It's very probably a different performance,anyway.
But virtually everything else is unattainable. As far as I know.
You're British catalogue is in the mind boggling category.
Ony two disappointments. No David Wynne or the complete Radio 3 performance of Holst's opera 'The Perfect Fool'. Oh,and Daniel Jones's Fifth!
But with treasure trove like that,picking out very minor omissions like that,IS nit picking!
(I should be ashamed of myself!) Let's all just hope to goodness that the tapes are okay!

You're attic finds,Dundonnell, remind me of a cartoon in Private eye,which showed a bloke on the Antiques roadshow,with a water cistern on the table,saying " I found this tucked away in my attic. Do you think it's worth anything?"
Thankfully,you've done allot better than that!

cilgwyn

Oh,and Patric Standfords,much panned,but I thought,wonderful,wacky fifth symphony. Broadcast c1985 with Joan Rodgers. Her singing was gorgeous.
Anyone out there got that?

Dundonnell

I did wonder about the McPhee ;D

I can assure you that if Daniel Jones 5th had been broadcast between the time I started taping in 1973 and the time I stopped(probably the late 1970s or early 1980s-for a number of dfferent reasons) I would have taped it ;D

The thing is that patience will be required....from ME as much as anyone. It will take a long time to transfer this stuff :)

cilgwyn

You don't want to end up paying a McPhee to someone!!!
Don't worry,I think most rational people would be pretty content with what you've got.
I should think they'll be allright. I put on a 25 year old cassette the other day,as I told you & it still worked. I do think allot depends on how you store them. In the right conditions & treated properly,I personally believe that tape can be a pretty durable medium. I don't really see how you could have stored them better,short of laboratory style conditions. Yours will be well over 30 years,though.
That's pretty old.
I believe there were two complete cycle of Daniel Jones symphonies broadcast on Radio 3? I shall have to find out more about them & when they were broadcast.
Wonderful stuff. I still can't get over the sheer range & breadth of you're find.

Dundonnell

I was speaking to another friend today who knows someone who runs a music studio.

There is a real possibility that the transfer of the music on my tapes could therefore be done semi-professionally in the studio with all the necessary equipment to hand :)

Will need to follow this offer up ;D ;D

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Dundonnell on September 08, 2011, 12:36:21 PM
I was speaking to another friend today who knows someone who runs a music studio.

There is a real possibility that the transfer of the music on my tapes could therefore be done semi-professionally in the studio with all the necessary equipment to hand :)

Will need to follow this offer up ;D ;D

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :) :) :) :)
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Grazioso

Speaking of unsung composers: I've been working on a list of composers whose complete symphonies have been recorded on commercial CD's (a list that naturally entails many obscurities) and would appreciate any additions/corrections from those who might be interested in helping:

Pages 2 and 3 of this thread: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19169.20.html
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle