Paul Ben Haim (1897-1984)

Started by vandermolen, September 06, 2011, 03:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

I figured I'd give this thread a little jolt.

Cross-posted from the 'Purchases' thread -

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 08, 2020, 07:23:07 PM
Decided to expand my Ben-Haim collection:

I already own the excellent CPO release of Symphony No. 1 and I believe that's all I owned of Ben-Haim in my collection before buying the recordings posted above.

Also, for anyone who hasn't seen this, you may want to check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/v/Xuq_CM-CYlk

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 08, 2020, 07:46:20 PM
I figured I'd give this thread a little jolt.

Cross-posted from the 'Purchases' thread -

Also, for anyone who hasn't seen this, you may want to check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/v/Xuq_CM-CYlk
I'm sure that you'll enjoy those John.  Do you know the First Symphony? As with Weinberg's Third Symphony I was surprised that I was ever able to hear a live performance of it.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 08, 2020, 11:16:04 PM
I'm sure that you'll enjoy those John.  Do you know the First Symphony? As with Weinberg's Third Symphony I was surprised that I was ever able to hear a live performance of it.

Sure, I've heard Symphony No. 1 thanks to that first installment on CPO, but it's been quite some time since I've listened to it. I'm going to wait to revisit as I want to receive the rest of these recordings I just bought.

Symphonic Addict

Count me as another fan of this composer. The Chandos CD is the only one I don't know yet, nonetheless, but the others are very fine.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 09, 2020, 07:29:45 AM
Count me as another fan of this composer. The Chandos CD is the only one I don't know yet, nonetheless, but the others are very fine.

Excellent to read, Cesar. I really want to get that Toccata recording of the SQs. Probably will spring for this a bit later on.

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 09, 2020, 07:29:45 AM
I'm sure you'd like the Chandos CD Cesar. I'm especially fond of the 'Judean Wilderness' - atmosphere of the first of the 'Two Landscapes' but the whole disc is very enjoyable.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on June 10, 2020, 01:28:46 AM
I'm sure you'd like the Chandos CD Cesar. I'm especially fond of the 'Judean Wilderness' - atmosphere of the first of the 'Two Landscapes' but the whole disc is very enjoyable.

Very interesting, Jeffrey. Thank you. I'm having that CD and the one on Toccata in the near future.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Heard this on the radio this afternoon (Symphony No. 1) and although I have the fine CPO disc I was very impressed by this performance and recording:

Symphonic Addict

Oh, that's good news, Jeffrey. The other two works look of interest to me too.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on October 09, 2020, 05:28:50 PM
Oh, that's good news, Jeffrey. The other two works look of interest to me too.
Yes, I agree Cesar. Apparently it's the start of a new series featuring the music of Israeli composers.

vandermolen

Symphonic Addict

Enjoying the Concerto for strings from this new release. I hadn't realize its existence till yesterday, and just now I wanted to check the music out. Looks like a promising disc, this work is phenomenal and greatly played. Cool cover art as well!

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 03, 2022, 07:09:31 PM

Enjoying the Concerto for strings from this new release. I hadn't realize its existence till yesterday, and just now I wanted to check the music out. Looks like a promising disc, this work is phenomenal and greatly played. Cool cover art as well!
Gosh! Looks most interesting. It's an August release over here.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 03, 2022, 07:09:31 PM

Nice! Like Jeffrey, I'll definitely be picking this up whenever it's available.

Mirror Image

vandermolen