Yngve Skold (1899-1992)

Started by madaboutmahler, September 07, 2011, 03:04:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madaboutmahler

A place to discuss the barely known Swedish composer, Yngve Skold. Although his 2nd symphony was once hailed "the greatest Swedish symphony of all time", Skold's reputation has decreased in recent years and unfortunately very few of his works are recorded or in the standard repetoire. Hopefully he shall find some more appreciation here on GMG! :)
I absolutely love his music, especially the 4 symphonies, the violin concerto, horn concerto etc.

If you do not know his music, a few of his works such as the 2nd symphony and violin concerto have been recorded, but you can find a wider variety of his works on youtube which one of his relatives (who I am good friends with :) ) uploaded. :) Get listening/commenting! :)

Daniel
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDRhpoTvOgY&feature=related

Here is a good place to start, the first movement of the 2nd symphony. Enjoy!
Daniel
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Dundonnell

Review of this disc here-

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2003/Feb03/skold.htm

It is-agreed-a delightful work and Skold's neglect is certainly undeserved. I am not sure who hailed the symphony as "the greatest Swedish symphony of all time" but that is hyperbole, I am afraid ;D  It isn't that!

But well done to his young relative Erik who is trying to encourage people to listen to the music through youtube :)

springrite

Quote from: madaboutmahler on September 07, 2011, 03:04:34 AM
his 2nd symphony was once hailed "the greatest Swedish symphony of all time"

May I ask who said that? An odd ball review or a widely held opinion? There is a big difference there.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Dundonnell on September 07, 2011, 04:54:11 AM
Review of this disc here-

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2003/Feb03/skold.htm

It is-agreed-a delightful work and Skold's neglect is certainly undeserved. I am not sure who hailed the symphony as "the greatest Swedish symphony of all time" but that is hyperbole, I am afraid ;D  It isn't that!

But well done to his young relative Erik who is trying to encourage people to listen to the music through youtube :)

Hello Colin,

I am not sure who said that, just a quote Erik told me. :) It's probably my personal favourite swedish symphony though. :)

Daniel
— Ludwig van Beethoven

PaulSC

I believe it was Kanye West, interrupting an award acceptance speech by Allan Pettersson.
Musik ist ein unerschöpfliches Meer. — Joseph Riepel

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on September 07, 2011, 03:04:34 AM
A place to discuss the barely known Swedish composer, Yngve Skold. Although his 2nd symphony was once hailed "the greatest Swedish symphony of all time", Skold's reputation has decreased in recent years and unfortunately very few of his works are recorded or in the standard repetoire. Hopefully he shall find some more appreciation here on GMG! :)
I absolutely love his music, especially the 4 symphonies, the violin concerto, horn concerto etc.

If you do not know his music, a few of his works such as the 2nd symphony and violin concerto have been recorded, but you can find a wider variety of his works on youtube which one of his relatives (who I am good friends with :) ) uploaded. :) Get listening/commenting! :)

Daniel

It's one of the little problems of classical music I think, there are many brilliant composers who unfortunately aren't as appreciated as they would deserve.......
Apart from the orchestral works you mentioned, I particularly like the Sonatina for Flute & Piano, and the Prelude and Fugue, quasi una fantasia.
Is really Erik a relative of Yngve Skold? Amazing!  :D
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on September 07, 2011, 05:27:21 AMIt's probably my personal favourite swedish symphony though. :)

Daniel

My only question is how many Swedish symphonies have you heard?

Brian

Quote from: madaboutmahler on September 07, 2011, 05:27:21 AMIt's probably my personal favourite swedish symphony though. :)

Daniel

Okay, your homework assignment is Kurt Atterberg Symphonies 3, 5, 7, and 8.  ;D

But I will be very happy to listen to as much Skold as I can get my hands on!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on September 07, 2011, 08:26:59 PM
Okay, your homework assignment is Kurt Atterberg Symphonies 3, 5, 7, and 8.  ;D

But I will be very happy to listen to as much Skold as I can get my hands on!

Or Alfven's symphonies or Pettersson's or Stenhammar's or Berwald's or Rangstrom's....

The new erato

My own personal best among Swedish symphonies is Stenhammars no 2, Nystrøms Sinfonia del Mare, Petterson 6-8 and most of Hilding Rosenbergs, with honorable mentions to Atterberg and Berwald. Alfven and Petterson-Berger not so much (too longwinded and loose), but I have orderes the BIS disc of Blomdahl to investigate those.

springrite

Quote from: The new erato on September 07, 2011, 11:40:07 PM
I have orderes the BIS disc of Blomdahl to investigate those.

Blomdahl was such a disappointment for me. Maybe I will give him another change later.

How about this one:

Skold, Yngve [1899-1992]: Poem for Cello & Piano; Sonata for Cello & Piano, Op.27

It is available at BRO. I just put it into my cart.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

The new erato

Skold (and Melchers and Koch) is a couple of names I have noted for future investigations of Swedish music.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 07, 2011, 08:21:02 PM
My only question is how many Swedish symphonies have you heard?

Quite a few.

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 07, 2011, 08:41:25 PM
Or Alfven's symphonies or Pettersson's or Stenhammar's or Berwald's or Rangstrom's....

Alfven, Atterberg and Stenhammar as well as the Skold. Berwald doesn't do much for me, I admit I don't know much Rangstrom though, at least not that well.
Daniel
— Ludwig van Beethoven

J

Quote from: springrite on September 07, 2011, 11:44:38 PM
Blomdahl was such a disappointment for me. Maybe I will give him another change later.

How about this one:

Skold, Yngve [1899-1992]: Poem for Cello & Piano; Sonata for Cello & Piano, Op.27

It is available at BRO. I just put it into my cart.

I had very high hopes for the cello music disc based on my liking for Skold's Symphony & Violin Concerto, but alas found the works altogether lacklustre.  I'd be surprised if you came to a different judgement.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: J on September 08, 2011, 07:59:39 AM
I had very high hopes for the cello music disc based on my liking for Skold's Symphony & Violin Concerto, but alas found the works altogether lacklustre.  I'd be surprised if you came to a different judgement.

Well, do let us know what you think springrite. I think it is a rather nice work! Although I think his best work obviously lied in the orchestral music. His symphonies, concertos etc are excellent.

Daniel
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Dundonnell

Apart from No.2,  do you have access to Skold's other symphonies, Daniel?

It is surely very difficult-if not impossible-to compare the Swedish romantics from Berwald through to the generation which would include Peterson-Berger(b.1867), Stenhammer
(b. 1871), Alfven(b.1872), Natanael Berg(b. 1879), Rangstrom(b. 1884) and  Atterberg(b.1887) with those Swedish composers who began to incorporate more 'modern' trends in European music into their compositions, people like Nystroem, Rosenberg, Wiren, Pettersson and Blomdahl.

There is plenty of room for both ;D I certainly like many of the Peterson-Berger and Atterberg symphonies but I wouldn't want to be without the music of a great and under-recorded composer like Rosenberg.

J

Quote from: madaboutmahler on September 08, 2011, 08:02:24 AM
Well, do let us know what you think springrite. I think it is a rather nice work! Although I think his best work obviously lied in the orchestral music. His symphonies, concertos etc are excellent.

Daniel

The least we can agree on, I suppose, is that the Cello Sonata is definitely not mature Skold, - it was written in his early twenties, I believe.  My own recollection is that he repeats the same tiresome themes over and over again with only the most threadbare development.  I tried very hard to like the work, with only increasing exasperation. 

The best Swedish Cello Sonatas?

Of those I have heard probably Atterberg in a more romantic vein, - with a gorgeous slow movement, as one might expect, -  and the much more astringent Rosenberg Sonata among the modernist composers.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Dundonnell on September 08, 2011, 01:05:11 PM
Apart from No.2,  do you have access to Skold's other symphonies, Daniel?

Unfortunately, only movements I believe, that my friend Erik (as I said, a relative of Yngve) has uploaded to youtube.
no.3 m1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEvm_Yv832w
no.4 scherzo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYEa25vJ8ig

I wish more conductors/orchestras  would perform his symphonies, it is amazing that his 1st symphony has never been performed!

Daniel
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Dundonnell

Listening to the Symphony No.3, First Movement on youtube.

Was this taken from a radio broadcast? Presumably it was. In which case where is the rest of the symphony?

It is romantic but self-confident late romanticism. It is the sort of music which would have been regarded as out of place and out of time in Sweden by the 1940s onwards but could now get a favourable reception.

....AND I am impressed by the Scherzo of Symphony No.4!

If young Erik was able to make contact with a record label like CPO in Germany or Sterling in his native Sweden they might be interested!