Mozart: Violin Concertos, Period Performances

Started by Jared, September 12, 2011, 02:25:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared

I have been toying with the idea of purchasing a set of the Mozart VCs, played on period (ish) instruments, as at present my only two sets are the Grumiaux and the Mutter sets. at present, I see three possible candidates:

Standage/ Hogwood/ AAM (Sony)
Zehetmair/ Bruggen/ Orch 18th Cent (Glossa)
Huggett/ OAE (Virgin)

Does anyone have any feelings about these three offerings, or is there a 4th set I should be considering?

Many thanks for your help.

Roberto

Quote from: Jared on September 12, 2011, 02:25:00 AM
I have been toying with the idea of purchasing a set of the Mozart VCs, played on period (ish) instruments.
I am at the same condition also.  :)
I have only the Mutter set. Before I make a purchase I usually downloaded the CD in order to make comparisons. The Hogwood set is good but strings are harsh on my earphones. The Kremer set is not HIP but it is on my wish list:
[asin]B002GKKLNS[/asin]
I've heard Marianne Thorsen's album which is good but this is my first Mozart VC on my wish list:
[asin]B004DIPKZ0[/asin]
Great playing and the winds are fully audible (which is very important for me).

karlhenning

Quote from: Roberto on September 12, 2011, 04:01:21 AM
. . . The Kremer set is not HIP but it is on my wish list:

I have the Kremer set, and I am all over it.

Jared

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 12, 2011, 04:03:01 AM
I have the Kremer set, and I am all over it.

Karl... could you elaborate on this Americanism for me? All over it could mean that you used to like it, but your enthusiasm has waned, or its your favourite recording.. are either of these correct?

thanks, Jared

karlhenning

I am unflaggingly enthusiastic for the recording, Jared. Sorry to be colloquial & obscure!

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Jared on September 12, 2011, 02:25:00 AM
I have been toying with the idea of purchasing a set of the Mozart VCs, played on period (ish) instruments, as at present my only two sets are the Grumiaux and the Mutter sets. at present, I see three possible candidates:

Standage/ Hogwood/ AAM (Sony)
Zehetmair/ Bruggen/ Orch 18th Cent (Glossa)
Huggett/ OAE (Virgin)

Does anyone have any feelings about these three offerings, or is there a 4th set I should be considering?

Many thanks for your help.

I have those three sets, but my favorites are Terakado/Kuijken on Denon (a 3-CD set with La Petite Bande). This set includes all the violin concertos, the Sinfonia Concertante K. 364 and the Concertone K. 190. Kuijken and Terakado alternatively play different works as soloists.

Unfortunately it's not easy to get, but individual volumes can be found on AMP.

Anyway, here is the complete set: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mozart-Violin-Concertos-Kuijken-Terakado-3CD-DENON-/220733642737

:)

Jared

Quote from: toñito on September 12, 2011, 04:50:44 AM
I have those three sets, but my favorites are Terakado/Kuijken on Denon (a 3-CD set with La Petite Bande). This set includes all the violin concertos, the Sinfonia Concertante K. 364 and the Concertone K. 190. Kuijken and Terakado alternatively play different works as soloists.

Unfortunately it's not easy to get, but individual volumes can be found on AMP.

Anyway, here is the complete set: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mozart-Violin-Concertos-Kuijken-Terakado-3CD-DENON-/220733642737

:)

thankd Tonito... I shan't be spending that kind of money... if pushed, which of the above three would be your favourite, and why?

Leon

I have found that the Huggett (PI) and Kremer sets offer the best of both worlds in these wonderful pieces, which are some of my favorite Mozart.  I also have others:

Andrew Manze (PI) (Nos. 3, 4 & 5)
Anne-Sophie Mutter
Mullova (PI) (1, 3 & 4)

Roberto

Quote from: Leon on September 12, 2011, 05:46:34 AM
Andrew Manze (PI) (Nos. 3, 4 & 5)
I've heard about that Manze has a strange violin sound. What is your opinion about it?

Jared

thanks everyone for their opinions... owing to some staunch Zehetmair/ Bruggen supporters elsewhere, I've taken this route for the moment.. but there are many interesting options mentioned.

Leon

Quote from: Roberto on September 12, 2011, 06:17:34 AM
I've heard about that Manze has a strange violin sound. What is your opinion about it?

I guess it depends on what you consider a normal violin sound.  After listening to his VC#3 I can't say the sound was "strange" but maybe a bit "rustic" for some folks.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Jared on September 12, 2011, 06:51:21 AM
thanks everyone for their opinions... owing to some staunch Zehetmair/ Bruggen supporters elsewhere, I've taken this route for the moment.. but there are many interesting options mentioned.

After Terakado/Kuijken, I would recommend Zehetmair, indeed; specially in those concertos when the Orchestra of the Eighteenth Century is conducted by Mr. Brüggen (K. 207, 218 & 219).

Bulldog

Mullova is easily my favorite on period instruments.  Fischer, Lin and Grimiaux head the modern instruments list.

DavidW

Quote from: toñito on September 12, 2011, 07:45:34 AM
After Terakado/Kuijken, I would recommend Zehetmair, indeed; specially in those concertos when the Orchestra of the Eighteenth Century is conducted by Mr. Brüggen (K. 207, 218 & 219).

Tonito got me to buy that set Jared... do it!  He was right it was the best I've heard.

Brahmsian

I think these performances are top notch, but again, I'm biased when it comes to James Ehnes.  (and yes, I realize this probably isn't a HIP recording, but I don't care, as these performances are most definitely worth checking out).   Incidentally, Ehnes shares the same birthday as Mozart.

James Ehnes and the Mozart Anniversary Orchestra

[asin]B000CZ0S3M[/asin]

SonicMan46

TTT! :) Thread started 2 years ago and expiring in just a few days - maybe time for some updating whether the works are performed on modern or period instruments (or a HIP intermediary approach) -  ;D

Just obtained the Julia Fischer set (3 CDs + 1 DVD) - small orchestra, lovely flowing violin lines, and prominent woodwinds - really enjoying (on the 3rd disc as I type).  Also own sets by Grumiaux & Carmignola - may have to put on the latter in a moment for a comparison - for a great comparison of many of the recordings of these works, see Don's (a.k.a. Sammy & Bulldog) excellent review HERE - he also liked Mullova (PI performances) who I've not heard.

SO, comments, other suggestions, preferences (MI vs. PI), etc. - Dave

Marc

If one is into HIP, this might be a consideration.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Works-Violin-Leertouwer-Johannes/dp/B000IHZJ0Q/

Personally, I think these are very good performances.

I once heard Leertouwer playing Mozart in concert (about 5 years ago), and left the concert hall in a refreshed mood. :)

This is wat M.D. Bromwell writes about this particular set on allmusic.com:

[....] Fans of period performances will find this collection extremely satisfying not only for the informed decisions made in its production, but the extensive detail Leertouwer puts into the liner notes to explain his decision-making process. His approach to his instrument is pure, simple, and unassuming. Fast passages are graceful and elegant and slow movements are introspective without being brooding. This is absolutely a recommended choice for anyone specifically seeking a period performance of these timeless works, or for a listener interested in an intelligent introduction to period performance practice.

Sammy

Quote from: SonicMan46 on October 07, 2013, 10:18:13 AM
TTT! :) Thread started 2 years ago and expiring in just a few days - maybe time for some updating whether the works are performed on modern or period instruments (or a HIP intermediary approach) -  ;D

Just obtained the Julia Fischer set (3 CDs + 1 DVD) - small orchestra, lovely flowing violin lines, and prominent woodwinds - really enjoying (on the 3rd disc as I type).  Also own sets by Grumiaux & Carmignola - may have to put on the latter in a moment for a comparison - for a great comparison of many of the recordings of these works, see Don's (a.k.a. Sammy & Bulldog) excellent review HERE - he also liked Mullova (PI performances) who I've not heard.

SO, comments, other suggestions, preferences (MI vs. PI), etc. - Dave

I haven't heard the Carmignola set, although I loved his playing in Bach's V & H Sonatas.  Concerning Abbado, I really don't have any opinion of him one way or the other.  What do you think of his Mozart?

Old Listener

Quote from: Sammy on October 07, 2013, 08:29:01 PM
I haven't heard the Carmignola set, although I loved his playing in Bach's V & H Sonatas.  Concerning Abbado, I really don't have any opinion of him one way or the other.  What do you think of his Mozart?

I've been acquiring recordings with Abbado and Orchestra Mozart playing Mozart. Lots of winners so far and NO losers.

I especially like the Clarinet Concerto, the Sinfornia Concertante K297 and various symphonies. I'm hard to please for No. 38 and Abbado / Orchestra Mozart suit me just fine.

I llike the Julia Fischer Mozart Concerti recordings as well. 

Bill

Sammy

Quote from: Marc on October 07, 2013, 12:23:51 PM
If one is into HIP, this might be a consideration.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Works-Violin-Leertouwer-Johannes/dp/B000IHZJ0Q/

Personally, I think these are very good performances.

I once heard Leertouwer playing Mozart in concert (about 5 years ago), and left the concert hall in a refreshed mood. :)

This is wat M.D. Bromwell writes about this particular set on allmusic.com:

[....] Fans of period performances will find this collection extremely satisfying not only for the informed decisions made in its production, but the extensive detail Leertouwer puts into the liner notes to explain his decision-making process. His approach to his instrument is pure, simple, and unassuming. Fast passages are graceful and elegant and slow movements are introspective without being brooding. This is absolutely a recommended choice for anyone specifically seeking a period performance of these timeless works, or for a listener interested in an intelligent introduction to period performance practice.

I don't own this set, but I just finished listening to it on the Naxos Music Library - very enjoyable.  Thanks for the link.