Author Topic: Dmitri's Dacha  (Read 486080 times)

Alek Hidell and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline OrchestralNut

• Veteran member
  • Cesar Franck, or Hugh Jackman as Wolverine
Re: Dmitri's Dacha
« Reply #2520 on: April 15, 2021, 05:10:46 AM »
Very interesting!  The performance is available only to subscribers: ($12.99 a month) on Medici.tv.

https://www.medici.tv/en/concerts/tugan-sokhiev-conducts-chen-and-shostakovich-edgar-moreau/?preview=199941?utm_source=youtube&utm_medium=teaser&utm_campaign=20181127_edgarmoreau

Excerpts are available on YouTube.

I was a subscriber of Medici for about a year.  A fairly decent site for viewing concert performances and several documentaries.  Unfortunately, one drawback I found is that several of their videos did not have the translation or subtitles for English.  :-\

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #2521 on: April 15, 2021, 02:00:03 PM »
Courtesy of a FaceBook comment:

Van Cliburn meeting Shostakovich: probably during the time of the former's award-winning performance at the Tchaikovsky Competition.

Can you believe it?  Van Cliburn was given a New-York-City Ticker-Tape Parade!  Of course, The Cold War was the common denominator of many such things!  Today, would such a parade take place? ;) ;)

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Offline Leo K.

• Veteran member
  • Author of 'False Barnyard'
    • Conceptual Music
  • Currently Listening to:
    Sibelius, Shostakovich, Prokofiev, Bach
« Reply #2522 on: April 20, 2021, 06:00:59 AM »
Shosty's song cycles with orchestra are really getting to me. They are AMAZING. This is the set I'm listening to:

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Richard Strauss (1864 - 1949)
    Frohe Streiche und Windmühlen
« Reply #2523 on: April 20, 2021, 06:44:46 AM »
Shosty's song cycles with orchestra are really getting to me. They are AMAZING. This is the set I'm listening to:

Yes, I recall enjoying them, too. I have these two recordings, which I believe are in that box set:

There’s also some of them in the Rozhdestvensky set I own of the symphonies on Melodiya.
"I believe that Strauss will remain one of the characteristic and outstanding figures in musical history. Works like Salome, Elektra and Intermezzo, and others will not perish.” - Arnold Schoenberg on Richard Strauss

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #2524 on: April 20, 2021, 09:42:05 AM »

Very nice!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #2525 on: April 21, 2021, 01:21:32 AM »
Yes, I recall enjoying them, too. I have these two recordings, which I believe are in that box set:

There’s also some of them in the Rozhdestvensky set I own of the symphonies on Melodiya.

I have the same 2 albums, various reviews pointed to them as the best choice and there's definitely some excellent singing.

Of course, it's worth noting that many (but not all) of the 'orchestral' song cycles were originally conceived for piano. For some the piano and orchestral versions were more or less simultaneous.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Richard Strauss (1864 - 1949)
    Frohe Streiche und Windmühlen
« Reply #2526 on: April 21, 2021, 05:23:55 AM »
I have the same 2 albums, various reviews pointed to them as the best choice and there's definitely some excellent singing.

Of course, it's worth noting that many (but not all) of the 'orchestral' song cycles were originally conceived for piano. For some the piano and orchestral versions were more or less simultaneous.

Yeah, I haven’t ventured into Shostakovich’s songs for voice and piano yet. I should rectify this at some point.
"I believe that Strauss will remain one of the characteristic and outstanding figures in musical history. Works like Salome, Elektra and Intermezzo, and others will not perish.” - Arnold Schoenberg on Richard Strauss

Offline Roasted Swan

• Veteran member
« Reply #2527 on: Today at 07:52:06 AM »
Partly prompted by the talk about Rozhdestvensky's live performances I revisited some of his USSR Ministry of Culture SO performances as released on the late-lamented Olympia

He makes a very powerful case for the Leningrad - all snarling Soviet brass and jackbooted snare-drums.  Subtle it ain't but then neither is the work.  This is a symphony as agit-prop and as such it succeeds gloriously