It's Jerry Goldsmith, Baby!

Started by snyprrr, October 29, 2016, 08:59:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: snyprrr on October 30, 2016, 07:31:23 PM
I think I've triggered vandermolen here, lol!! Go get 'em, tiger!! :laugh:

(pictures vandermoldy on the floor playing model WWII with ToraToraTora on in the background)

'vandermoldy'!!! I beg your pardon! You shouldn't bite the hand that feeds you.  8)
Now, back to my Spitfire, Lancaster Bomber and Thunderbird 2 Dinky Toy models (currently in dispute with my daughter about who owns Thunderbird 2 - answer is me by the way).  8)
TTT is great score and coupled on CD with Patton - a wonderful disc:
[asin]B000025CT3[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Rons_talking

The Planet of the Apes score is exceptional. It's a composer's dream: long scenes without dialogue as Taylor explores the land on horseback, then wordless battles and a classic ending all employing the score make the drama work. It's not simply filling space. It's great. His other scores are strong as well but POTA is almost a ballet.

vandermolen

Quote from: Rons_talking on November 02, 2016, 08:25:30 AM
The Planet of the Apes score is exceptional. It's a composer's dream: long scenes without dialogue as Taylor explores the land on horseback, then wordless battles and a classic ending all employing the score make the drama work. It's not simply filling space. It's great. His other scores are strong as well but POTA is almost a ballet.
I totally agree and the movie was so much better than the rubbish sequels ancient and modern. Inspired by this thread I watched 'Damien Omen 2' last night - an underrated film although not as good as the original. The Goldsmith score, however, is IMHO as good if not better than the original movie score. I watched it on my own last night and during a particularly terrifying moment a black cat suddenly took a flying leap on to my lap. Although it was my own cat I had to have a glass of red wine to calm my nerves after such a traumatic incident.
>:D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

snyprrr

Quote from: vandermolen on November 02, 2016, 08:59:04 AM
I totally agree and the movie was so much better than the rubbish sequels ancient and modern. Inspired by this thread I watched 'Damien Omen 2' last night - an underrated film although not as good as the original. The Goldsmith score, however, is IMHO as good if not better than the original movie score. I watched it on my own last night and during a particularly terrifying moment a black cat suddenly took a flying leap on to my lap. Although it was my own cat I had to have a glass of red wine to calm my nerves after such a traumatic incident.
>:D

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

And I was watching 'Logan's Run' last month- soooo groovy!!! I want to hear more "Synthesizer Jerry"...

snyprrr

It warms my cockles knowing this Thread has received its due love! ;) 8)

Bogey

Quote from: snyprrr on November 05, 2016, 07:04:31 AM
It warms my cockles knowing this Thread has received its due love! ;) 8)

It may be is your greatest contribution to this board.  Goldsmith should have a many threads as Beethoven IMO! >:D
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

vandermolen

Cato

Thanks to the Miklos Rozsa topic, I came across the "Tadlow"* catalog which offers some Jerry Goldsmith scores:

So check these out!

http://www.tadlowmusic.com/category/catalogue/

* (Their prices are not a "tad low.")
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

vandermolen

Watched Omen 3 'The Final Conflict' last night (I only watch high-brow movies). The musical score was the best thing about the film.