Composer Index Rebooted

Started by Lethevich, September 13, 2011, 08:40:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nathanb

I could surely go nuts here, but let's be real, no one wants that ;)

Mirror Image

Quote from: nathanb on May 25, 2016, 03:16:36 PM
I could surely go nuts here, but let's be real, no one wants that ;)

I believe we're already past the nut phase. ;D

nathanb

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 25, 2016, 04:05:42 PM
I believe we're already past the nut phase. ;D

Well yeah, but not me. Not in this thread, yet, that is. I could throw down a couple hundred really solid names, but I reckon most would find them to be just a couple hundred more things to scroll past to get to the good stuff.

Monsieur Croche

Why, oh, Why is this category listed by nationality vs. by name only?

I think it is a major fault and a serious obstacle to ready access in presuming most people are going to know or initially care about the nationality of a composer vs. simply wanting to look them up by name.

Best regards.
~ I'm all for personal expression; it just has to express something to me. ~

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Monsieur Croche on August 13, 2016, 07:03:42 PM
Why, oh, Why is this category listed by nationality vs. by name only?

I think it is a major fault and a serious obstacle to ready access in presuming most people are going to know or initially care about the nationality of a composer vs. simply wanting to look them up by name.

Best regards.
So make one for us. A kindly member started this on her own time. You are welcome to do the same.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Scion7

Quote from: Monsieur Croche on August 13, 2016, 07:03:42 PM
Why, oh, Why  ... composer vs. simply wanting to look them up by name.

Go to Page 1, and click on any composer.
Takes you right to their forum thread in the Composer Discussion.
This is just an index - and serves its pupose well.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Monsieur Croche

Quote from: Scion7 on August 13, 2016, 07:36:45 PM
Go to Page 1, and click on any composer.
Takes you right to their forum thread in the Composer Discussion.
This is just an index - and serves its pupose well.

click first on a range of A-I, to then find the composer you want, which is by nationality, which is not something anyone making an index should assume everyone knows, ergo, my 'complaint.'

I do realize the real labor that went into making this index up, I do not appreciate an index controverting universal library catalogue practices.

The category by nationality is -- just wonky.

So sue me, I whined.
~ I'm all for personal expression; it just has to express something to me. ~

Scion7

Quote from: Monsieur Croche on August 13, 2016, 08:08:24 PM
So sue me, I whined.

Our barrister's will be contacting you shortly.  :P
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

nathanb

Although it might be better to have both, I will have to (just this once) play devil's advocate for PetrB. I often enjoy going out on the hunt for "new Danish composers" or "new Japanese composers".

Unfortunately I already know the vast majority of the "exotic" composers listed so it's not as rewarding as using the Living Composers Project index.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Is there no thread for Pauline Oliveros, an American composer and one of the pioneering developers of electronic music outside of Europe?

North Star

Quote from: jessop on October 15, 2016, 03:35:54 PM
Is there no thread for Pauline Oliveros, an American composer and one of the pioneering developers of electronic music outside of Europe?
No, I don't think there is. Feel free to start one. :)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

SurprisedByBeauty

Edit: Thought I had created a new thread rather than posting it here. Doing the right thing now.

No thread for this composer yet? Then let this be his new home!

Classical CD Of The Week: From The Sistine Chapel, Palestrina Populism

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jenslaurson/2016/11/02/classical-cd-of-the-week-from-the-sistine-chapel-palestrina-populism/#32eaf0186dce

What's the deal here? Palestrina is an amazing Renaissance composer and this recording is much welcome, but isn't acapella early music a little high-brow for the 21st century everything-is-crossover DG label? Worry not, populism was built-in, here, too:

Karl Henning

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on November 09, 2016, 08:47:59 AM
No thread for this composer [Palestrina] yet?

How is that possible?!?!

(I do think Palestrina's Papal Palace of Polyphony mighty grand.)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SurprisedByBeauty

If Vicente Martín y Soler (1754 – 1806) has his own thread, maybe Toni "Padre" Soler should, too?! Certainly there's more music out there, of his output. I'll open a thread: Name-suggestions are welcome.

QuoteAntonio Francisco Javier José Soler Ramos, usually known as Padre ('Father', in the religious sense) Antonio Soler, known in Catalan as Antoni Soler i Ramos (baptized 3 December 1729 – died 20 December 1783) was a Spanish composer whose works span the late Baroque and early Classical music eras. He is best known for his keyboard sonatas, an important contribution to the harpsichord, fortepiano and organ repertoire

Classical CD Of The Week: Ersatz-Scarlatti? Diego Ares Plays Antonio Soler

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jenslaurson/2016/11/23/classical-cd-of-the-week-ersatz-scarlatti-diego-ares-plays-antonio-soler/#ffc8e5469876