Stanley Bate(1911-1959)

Started by Dundonnell, September 13, 2011, 05:18:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

Quote from: cilgwyn on September 16, 2011, 05:29:12 AM
http://www.photographersdirect.com/buyers/stockphoto.aspimageid=2766985

Photographers direct have a very interesting photo of Stanley Bate and a seated Vaughan Williams (and some others).If anyone hasn't seen it,it certainly is worth seeing. I am a newbie to hyperlinks,so if this doesn't work,just google the site! Otherwise,Johan,"HE-E-L-P!"

Good luck with those tapes,Dundonnell.

Heavens....Bate does look very 'intense' and highly strung in those photos, I would say.

Thanks for the link. Once you get to the site you need to do a search for 'Stanley Bate' and the photos cannot be copied and reproduced without a fee being paid :)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

J.Z. Herrenberg

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

cilgwyn

Thank you Johan. The one with VW is a bit of a cracker,in my opinion.
I thought you might ignore the warning!!!!!

J.Z. Herrenberg

He looks a bit like Bernard Haitink.

Lethevich

I was thinking somewhere between Richter and Rawsthorne, although more perculiar than both.

(Hey, we're talking about the right composer again, albeit by way of... tons of others ;D)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Dundonnell

They're coming for you Johan >:D

The Ffth(or is it Seventh?) Anglo-Dutch War, known popularly, as the copyr**** war is pending.

Dundonnell

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Pettersson on September 16, 2011, 06:23:55 AM
I was thinking somewhere between Richter and Rawsthorne, although more perculiar than both.

(Hey, we're talking about the right composer again, albeit by way of... tons of others ;D)

Bless You :D

cilgwyn

It could be worse,you could be in prison for reproducing photos of a certain pianistically inclined composer.

vandermolen

Great photos of Bate and VW - thanks for posting Johan. I have only ever seen one of Bate before (also with VW at the Cheltenham Festival) although their may also be one of him at a jamming session with York Bowen (sorry Colin  ;D).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

vandermolen

Nice to see these photos of Stanley Bate.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Yes, it makes a difference, seeing the face behind the music...

Dundonnell

Quote from: vandermolen on September 16, 2011, 03:12:59 PM
Great photos of Bate and VW - thanks for posting Johan. I have only ever seen one of Bate before (also with VW at the Cheltenham Festival) although their may also be one of him at a jamming session with York Bowen (sorry Colin  ;D).

I am going to ignore this post, Jeffrey, on the basis that it is a singular aberration from a man of your excellent and sound judgment :)

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on September 16, 2011, 04:35:28 PM
I am going to ignore this post, Jeffrey, on the basis that it is a singular aberration from a man of your excellent and sound judgment :)

Hehe  ;D

vandermolen

Listening to Bate's Fourth Symphony tonight - the bleakly defiant conclusion is very moving. What a fine work it is.

Albion

I'm ashamed to say that I've not got round to Bate's 4th yet (although I really love the 3rd) - somehow the fact that the Arnell coupling is a 'realisation' has slightly reined-in my usual impetuosity (I greatly enjoy the Arnell discs I have - Symphonies 1-6 and all 4 ballets).

I promise myself that I will get it soon, if only to encourage Dutton to record more Stanley Bate (Piano and Violin Concertos, please)!

;D

A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

Dundonnell

Albion

Quote from: Albion on September 28, 2011, 02:47:44 PM
I'm ashamed to say that I've not got round to Bate's 4th yet (although I really love the 3rd) - somehow the fact that the Arnell coupling is a 'realisation' has slightly reined-in my usual impetuosity (I greatly enjoy the Arnell discs I have - Symphonies 1-6 and all 4 ballets).

I promise myself that I will get it soon, if only to encourage Dutton to record more Stanley Bate (Piano and Violin Concertos, please)!

;D

Quote from: Dundonnell on September 28, 2011, 03:40:10 PMPlease do ;D

I just have (HMV £7.99) - and you know what? It worked:

Must try that trick again.

;D
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

Lethevich

Wow, that CD seems custom-aimed at me - I like Reizenstein based on his solo piano and chamber music :)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.