Bartok - The String Quartets

Started by George, September 16, 2011, 05:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

I just went searching for a thread on the Bartok Quartets, as I was certain that we had one, but it seems we don't have one.

I found this CD set in the used bins tonight and decided to grab it, even though I really enjoy the Hungarian QT and Takacs QT recordings (in that order) of these awesome works:

It's the Julliard's 1950s recordings of these quartets. Now I know that they recorded these three times and the last set is considered the worst, but how does this 1950s set compare to their 1963 set (I don't have it.)

And - what are your favorite recordings (sets) of the Bartok QTs?
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Todd

The early cycle is the one I do not own.  I can't say the digital cycle is the "worst," since that implies bad, and it is not, but it is not as good as the second cycle. 

My favored cycles are the Takacs Decca cycle, the Vegh stereo cycle, and Emerson cycle.  Lush, "Hungarian", and "Modern" is the best way to simplify the three in one word descriptions.  (The Hagen are also quite good, and in the Emerson style here.)
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

not edward

I've not heard the '50s Juilliards (am sure they're great); of the recordings I've heard I've been most impressed by the '60s Juilliards, and perhaps above all, the stereo Vegh set. I particularly like the Veghs in Bartok's tramping-rhythm finales, in which they really let their hair down; the 3rd is probably the only disappointment, while the 6th is astonishingly good.

Of more recent recordings, I've been most taken with the Kellers--highlights for me being a superb 2nd and a fine 6th that's just shaded by the Veghs' astonishingly bitter and cynical view of the work. Apart from a superb 3rd, the highly rated Emersons never really grabbed me, while I'm yet to hear the Takacs.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Brahmsian

I love both the Takacs Qt. and Emerson SQ. recordings.  Haven't heard the Julliard's.

kishnevi

I have the Nowak, Belcea and Emerson sets, and my preference runs in that order.  The Emerson recording seem to me to justify the criticism that they are too intellectual and unemotional (which, btw, I generally don't agree with, except for this set).

DavidW

I like Takacs and sony Juilliard.  Haven't heard that first Juilliard cycle.

George

Quote from: DavidW on September 16, 2011, 06:44:06 PM
I like Takacs and sony Juilliard.  Haven't heard that first Juilliard cycle.

Hey Dave!  :)

So you have the second Julliard from 1963?

DavidW

Quote from: George on September 16, 2011, 06:46:26 PM
Hey Dave!  :)

So you have the second Julliard from 1963?

Not currently, I decided that I liked Takacs a little bit better and they weren't different enough.  But I had it.  It's pretty darned good!  It has that dry, nervous energy they are known for.

George

Quote from: DavidW on September 16, 2011, 06:49:19 PM
Not currently, I decided that I liked Takacs a little bit better and they weren't different enough.  But I had it.  It's pretty darned good!  It has that dry, nervous energy they are known for.

I am spinning the set in my OP right now and it's definitely dry and tense! If it were a movie, it'd be in black and white, with a lot of shadows.

Robert

SonicMan46

Well, if this is going to be another 'list' your collections thread, then I have 2 sets of these SQs including the Emersons, which I do enjoy; in addition, I picked up an inexpensive set by the Keller Quartet reviewed positively HERE - I'm sure that there must be other releases on interest - :)

Mirror Image

My favorite set is from the Takacs Quartet on Decca. I also have the Emersons, but, while they're good technically, the Takacs have a better feel for the idiosyncrasies of Bartok's music.

Herman

How is that Keller set?

I heard the Keller Qt play the Bartok 2 and 5 in concert recently and wasn't totally blown away, but the recording may be better, as indicated by some reviews.

Bulldog

I have more recordings of these works than I remembered:

Parkanyi/Praga
Takacs/Decca
Vermeer/Naxos
Juilliard/Sony (1963) (1981)
Novak/Philips
Vegh/Naive
Tatrai/Hungaroton
Emerson/DG
Vertavo/Simax
Penderecki/Eclectra
Hungarian/DG
Ebene/Mirare (1-2-3)
Arcanto/HM (5-6)

Currently, my favored sets are the Emerson (intensity) and Vegh (gorgeous).  However, I was tremendously moved with the Arcanto's single disc of qts. 5 and 6 - nothing more from this group so far.

not edward

Quote from: Herman on September 16, 2011, 07:58:22 PM
How is that Keller set?

I heard the Keller Qt play the Bartok 2 and 5 in concert recently and wasn't totally blown away, but the recording may be better, as indicated by some reviews.
IMO it's pretty good, though not on the same level as the best sets out there. I think the 6th is probably the best of the set; if it weren't for the Vegh it would probably be my favourite recording of that quartet. 3-5 it's been a while, but I recall the Kellers playing it a bit too safe in the 3rd and the finales of the 4th and 5th, despite some good stuff in the earlier movements.

Should really pull the set out again some time.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

snyprrr

I just got the Hagens (on Newton Classics ???) from the library, and checked my favorite bits, like No.3.

All I can really compare with is the Emerson's, which I also get from the library (wasn't there, will check another later). I like the Emersons in the brutal bits, but, I don't like them so much in 1-2. The Hagens at first glance compare very favorably in 3. I will have to double check later.

The Hagens also get a thick sound which is very pleasing.

The Hagens, however, take the opening to No.4 almost as slow as the ill-conceived Arditti reading on Grammavision. The Emersons really dig into this opening like no other, but, the Hagens actually make their slower way work for them, which I don't think the Ardittis pulled off.

I'm assuming this is THE Hagen/DG recording. Anyone else have both the Hagens and Emersons?

Todd

Quote from: snyprrr on October 20, 2011, 11:16:07 AMI'm assuming this is THE Hagen/DG recording. Anyone else have both the Hagens and Emersons?

Yep.  I prefer the Emerson across the board.  Not quite sure you mean when you say the Hagen are "thick."
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Josquin des Prez

Xenophanes

Bartok is one of the composers I don't really get, as per Josquin's thread, but I have been trying to get into the string quartets for a long time.  Quite a while ago, I got the Novak Qt. on Philips and later came across the Takacs Qt. on London, when it was fresh and new. 

Some months ago, I got the set with the old Fine Arts Quartet, because they are my favorite string quartet, and I have been listening to it now and then to see if I can get into them. They even have a discussion of the first quartet by the members.

[asin]B000CSUMV2[/asin]

Kontrapunctus

I like the Parkanyi's series on Praga.