Luigi Nono

Started by Don Giovanni, April 13, 2007, 09:04:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: CRCulver on November 29, 2020, 10:54:06 AM
When I saw the title "Post Prae Ludium 3 Babaar" I initially thought it was a typo for the well-known piece Post-Prae Ludium per Donau, like something had gone wrong with your phone keyboard. But now I see from Nono's list of works that Post-prae-ludium No. 3, "BAAB-ARR", for piccolo and live electronics (1988), actually existed. However, it was never recorded by the Experimentalstudio team on that NEOS three-volume set, on the grounds that "Una nuova esecuzione di Baab-arr non è possibile: non abbiamo a disposizione né un abbozzo, né schizzi (se non per live electronics) di Luigi Nono." Thanks for drawing my attention to that old recording of it.

If you type Baab-arr into spotify or qobuz, it won't find it!
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

petrarch

Are you sure it is No. 3 and not No. 1? I remember searching high and low for a recording of No. 3 until the people at the Archivio mentioned that the piece was actually never finished, much less recorded. Also, all results I got from that disc indicated it was a repackaging of a previous released by Col Legno, which has No. 1 and not No. 3.
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Mandryka

Quote from: petrarch on November 29, 2020, 11:44:29 AM
Are you sure it is No. 3 and not No. 1? I remember searching high and low for a recording of No. 3 until the people at the Archivio mentioned that the piece was actually never finished, much less recorded. Also, all results I got from that disc indicated it was a repackaging of a previous released by Col Legno, which has No. 1 and not No. 3.

It is tagged number 3, babarr, but I see that number 3 is not for tuba, it's for picolo. So you may be right.

petrarch

Quote from: Mandryka on November 29, 2020, 11:54:34 AM
It is tagged number 3, babarr, but I see that number 3 is not for tuba, it's for picolo. So you may be right.

It is incorrectly tagged. The performer would be Fabbriciani in No. 3, and not Schiaffini.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ThZaRMCY4s

There is also a video documentary with Schiaffini and Fabbriciani and they talk about the challenges in realizing the pieces. They show the extant sketches for No. 3 (IIRC a single line or two of notation).

This is the original release on Col Legno:

https://www.discogs.com/Nono-Orchestral-Works-Chamber-Music/release/4408931
//p
The music collection.
A view of the whole

Mirror Image

Good to see some activity in this thread. Nono is cool composer. I need to revisit the recordings I own.

Mandryka

The booklet essay on Fusi's La Lontananza Nostalgica, which I'm starting to explore.

https://www.kairos-music.com/sites/default/files/downloads/0015086KAI_nono_webbooklet.pdf

petrarch

Currently reading this and enjoying it very much:

[asin]0367733064[/asin]
//p
The music collection.
A view of the whole

Mandryka

Quote from: petrarch on January 15, 2021, 12:30:44 PM
Currently reading this and enjoying it very much:

[asin]0367733064[/asin]

Same here, I've been listening to Das Atmende Klarsein all day and I found that the comments in the book help get it into perspective.