Which do you like more?

Star Trek
Star Wars
I like them both equally
I hate them both equally
Grow up, you nerds
Dancing with the Stars

Grazioso

So which franchise do you enjoy more or think is better? Why?

No lightsaber/bat'leth duels. Keep it civil  :D
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Lethevich

The original Star Wars films are better, I suppose, but I prefer Star Trek (excluding TOS and the TNG films) because of how elaborated it is - I don't really care enough about any franchise to read the extended universe books, so it's what is filmed that I must go by and TNG, DS9 and Voyager have a lot of great episodes on offer.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

DavidW

Including the tv shows... Star Trek.  The first two series are closer to proper sci-fi than Star Wars.  Many TOS and TNG episodes demonstrate that you can explore interesting ideas and build tension without furious explosions and other special effects (full of sound and fury signifying nothing) as compared to the Star Trek movies (especially the next gen ones). 

As far as the movies go I love Wrath of Khan, The Voyage Home and The Undiscovered Country; I like The Search for Spock; I'm merely okay with The Motion Picture; and I don't care for the next gens movie or The Undiscovered Country. (edit: lol what?  I obviously meant the fifth one whatever it's called where they are looking for god in all of the wrong places)

As far as the Star Wars movies go I love A New Hope, and The Empire Strikes Back; I like Return of the Jedi and Revenge of the Sith; and I'm merely okay with The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones.

DavidW

Oh yeah ranking the tv shows: TOS > TNG >> DS9 >> Voyager >> Enterprise.  I think that there was a huge quality drop after the first two shows.

Grazioso

Quote from: DavidW on September 18, 2011, 05:36:54 AM
Oh yeah ranking the tv shows: TOS > TNG >> DS9 >> Voyager >> Enterprise.  I think that there was a huge quality drop after the first two shows.

For me, the major quality drop came with Enterprise, where it was all too obvious the franchise had run out of steam, and they had to start resorting to cheap ploys like showing more flesh to curry ratings. (Not that I have anything against Jolene Blalock, mind you!)

DS9 had some strong points, like an overall darker feel that made for a nice contrast with what had gone before. It also, for better and for worse, spent a lot of time fleshing out the Star Trek universe: the different races and factions and wars and so on. A real double-edged Klingon dagger, that. It created the possibility for interesting long-term story arcs but also took the focus even further away from what TOS did so well: present self-contained what-if sci fi scenarios.

Voyager started weak but got far better with the arrival of Seven of Nine. The new character added new dimensions to the ensemble cast, and the writing on the whole improved.

Grazioso

Quote from: DavidW on September 18, 2011, 05:34:51 AM
As far as the movies go I love Wrath of Khan, The Voyage Home and The Undiscovered Country; I like The Search for Spock; I'm merely okay with The Motion Picture; and I don't care for the next gens movie or The Undiscovered Country. (edit: lol what?  I obviously meant the fifth one whatever it's called where they are looking for god in all of the wrong places)

You're thinking of Star Trek V: The Waste of Time  :D Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country was one of the better ones, but you know the rule: odd ones bad, even ones good.

DavidW

I will agree with you on DS9, which is why I rank it better than Voyager or Enterprise... but all three shows demonstrate increasing willingness to throw the principles of trek under the bus for a militant pov.

For instance, in TNG Picard decided against reprogramming a captured borg with a virus meant to wipe out the borg (one of the greatest threats to the federation) because it's the morally wrong thing to do.  Janeway actively plotted plans of revolt and genocide for the borg.

Star Trek is about exploring the universe, meeting new races, finding peaceful solutions, and learning to co-exist with people that do not share your culture.  And this attitude is best demonstrated NOT by the diverse casting but by the actions and thoughts of Kirk and Picard.  And it is something that the newer shows don't get behind.  They changed the tone for the worst.  Enterprise demonstrates blind racism between humans and Vulcans; nearly every first contact in Voyager becomes militant, and Janeway always responds with force; DS9 is about breaking the bonds of fellowship to choose sides in a huge war.  None of the themes and actions in the last three shows are very trek. 

Szykneij

I like them both, but it's apples and oranges when comparing them. If I'm forced to choose, I'll go with Star Trek, because Star Trek had ...

... Tribbles!
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: DavidW on September 18, 2011, 06:07:04 AM
Star Trek is about exploring the universe, meeting new races, finding peaceful solutions, and learning to co-exist with people that do not share your culture.

And since these cultures almost never wanted to co-exist, Kirk would have to beat the crap out of a few aliens in order to make them see the rightness of the Federation's way of doing things. Most shows in the original series ending with a fistfight  :D Nearly every episode violated the Prime Directive.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Szykneij

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 18, 2011, 06:22:29 AM
:D Nearly every episode violated the Prime Directive.

Sarge

Except the ones with Tribbles.   >:D    ;)
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

71 dB

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

J.Z. Herrenberg

I love Star Wars IV-VI, with the 'Empire' taking pride of place. But as a franchise I choose Star Trek. Deep Space Nine is one of my favourite series ever (religion, politics, war, the interaction of people you get to know better and better, and the occasional successful stab at humour...)
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Mirror Image

Star Wars any day of the week. I like the plot, the dialogue of the characters, the back stories, and the action. Star Trek just bores the hell out of me. I find just too stagnant for my tastes, although it does have good character development, but this isn't a saving grace for me. There has to be more, much more.

mc ukrneal

Hmmm. Let's See (each pair is connected or similar in some way):

Star Wars has Jar Jar Binks. Star Trek has Q.
Star Wars has Harrison Ford. Star Trek has Patrick Stewart.
Star Wars has Yoda. Star Trek has Spock.
Star Wars has ghosts/spirits. Star Trek has time travel.
Star Wars has the empire. Star Trek has the Borg.
Star Wars has Wookies. Star Trek has Klingons.
Star Wars has black and white unifrms. Star Trek has multi-color uniforms.
Star Wars has Princes Leia. Star Trek has Seven of Nine.
Star Wars has the Millennium Falcon. Star Trek has the Enterprise.
Star Wars has the voice of James Earl Jones (Vader). Star Trek has the voice of Majel Barrett (computer, who also played Troi's mother).
Star Wars destroys planets. Star Trek creates them.
Star Wars has the dark side. Star Trek has parallel universes.
Star Wars has George Lucas. Star Wars has Gene Roddenberry.
Star Wars has hyper drives/space. Star Trek has Warp drives/space.
In Star Wars you say, "May the Force Be With You." In Star Trek you say, "Live Long and Prosper."
Star Wars has tractor beams. Star Trek has tractor beams too!
Star Wars has C-3PO. Star Trek has Data.
Star Wars has the force. Star Trek has holodecks.
Star Wars has Ewoks. Star Trek has Tribbles.

Can you guess I just eat this stuff up!!
8)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: mc ukrneal on September 18, 2011, 07:57:34 AM
Star Trek has Seven of Nine.

Yeah, hot if you like Borgs  ;D  But I prefer Trills: Jadzia Dax and Ezri Dax....love the spots  8)

Sarge

Lethevich

So wrong, it's all about mid-length hair Kira :P

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on September 18, 2011, 07:35:48 AM
Deep Space Nine is one my favourite series ever (religion, politics, war, the interaction of people you get to know better and better, and the occasional successful stab at humour...)

Did you get into Babylon 5 at all? The only reason I don't rate DS9 more highly is because I think B5 did the persistent plotline space station thing better, despite being more corny. DS9 had better characters, though.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Pettersson on September 18, 2011, 08:17:24 AM
So wrong, it's all about mid-length hair Kira :P

I can't get past the bridge of her nose. Petty of me, I know, but there it is.

Sarge

Lethevich

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 18, 2011, 08:21:23 AM
I can't get past the bridge of her nose. Petty of me, I know, but there it is.

I had a freak-out moment when I first Googled the actress and thought she looked less cute without the prosthetic nose. Any remaining delusions I had of normal attractions died on that day.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Pettersson on September 18, 2011, 08:22:47 AM
I had a freak-out moment when I first Googled the actress and thought she looked less cute without the prosthetic nose. Any remaining delusions I had of normal attractions died on that day.

;D :D ;D

Bless you Sara...the oddly nosed need love too.

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

My vote goes to Star Trek. Although I've never watched Enterprise and have only seen a handful of Voyagers (in German  :P ), Next Generation and Deep Space Nine are two of my favorite series. In fact I second Johan:

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on September 18, 2011, 07:35:48 AMDeep Space Nine is one my favourite series ever (religion, politics, war, the interaction of people you get to know better and better, and the occasional successful stab at humour...)

Sarge