The Back Room > The Diner

Star Trek vs. Star Wars: The Poll to End All Polls

(1/48) > >>

Grazioso:
So which franchise do you enjoy more or think is better? Why?

No lightsaber/bat'leth duels. Keep it civil  :D

Lethevich:
The original Star Wars films are better, I suppose, but I prefer Star Trek (excluding TOS and the TNG films) because of how elaborated it is - I don't really care enough about any franchise to read the extended universe books, so it's what is filmed that I must go by and TNG, DS9 and Voyager have a lot of great episodes on offer.

DavidW:
Including the tv shows... Star Trek.  The first two series are closer to proper sci-fi than Star Wars.  Many TOS and TNG episodes demonstrate that you can explore interesting ideas and build tension without furious explosions and other special effects (full of sound and fury signifying nothing) as compared to the Star Trek movies (especially the next gen ones). 

As far as the movies go I love Wrath of Khan, The Voyage Home and The Undiscovered Country; I like The Search for Spock; I'm merely okay with The Motion Picture; and I don't care for the next gens movie or The Undiscovered Country. (edit: lol what?  I obviously meant the fifth one whatever it's called where they are looking for god in all of the wrong places)

As far as the Star Wars movies go I love A New Hope, and The Empire Strikes Back; I like Return of the Jedi and Revenge of the Sith; and I'm merely okay with The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones.

DavidW:
Oh yeah ranking the tv shows: TOS > TNG >> DS9 >> Voyager >> Enterprise.  I think that there was a huge quality drop after the first two shows.

Grazioso:

--- Quote from: DavidW on September 18, 2011, 04:36:54 AM ---Oh yeah ranking the tv shows: TOS > TNG >> DS9 >> Voyager >> Enterprise.  I think that there was a huge quality drop after the first two shows.

--- End quote ---

For me, the major quality drop came with Enterprise, where it was all too obvious the franchise had run out of steam, and they had to start resorting to cheap ploys like showing more flesh to curry ratings. (Not that I have anything against Jolene Blalock, mind you!)

DS9 had some strong points, like an overall darker feel that made for a nice contrast with what had gone before. It also, for better and for worse, spent a lot of time fleshing out the Star Trek universe: the different races and factions and wars and so on. A real double-edged Klingon dagger, that. It created the possibility for interesting long-term story arcs but also took the focus even further away from what TOS did so well: present self-contained what-if sci fi scenarios.

Voyager started weak but got far better with the arrival of Seven of Nine. The new character added new dimensions to the ensemble cast, and the writing on the whole improved.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version