The Back Room > The Diner

Star Trek vs. Star Wars: The Poll to End All Polls

<< < (5/70) > >>

bwv 1080:
If they had gotten a better actor to play Annakin, the last two movies could have been really good

As I can watch Star Wars today but not Star Trek (although the movie reboot was good) have to go with Star Wars, but maybe that's just having a 6YO to watch it with

Still hoping with CGI getting cheaper we can have some sci-fi movies that don't have to be toned down to be blockbusters

If HBO can film George RR Martin, why not Alistair Reynolds or Peter Hamilton?

J.Z. Herrenberg:

--- Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 18, 2011, 07:16:59 AM ---Yeah, hot if you like Borgs  ;D  But I prefer Trills: Jadzia Dax and Ezri Dax....love the spots  8)

--- End quote ---

Another Jadzia fan here. Though Seven of Nine could 'cause cardiac arrest in a yak' (to quote Woody Allen about someone else).

--- Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Pettersson on September 18, 2011, 07:17:24 AM ---So wrong, it's all about mid-length hair Kira :P

Did you get into Babylon 5 at all? The only reason I don't rate DS9 more highly is because I think B5 did the persistent plotline space station thing better, despite being more corny. DS9 had better characters, though.

--- End quote ---

I only happened to see one episode of Babylon 5... Deep Space Nine was on Dutch tv, and on the BBC, too. Which helped, perhaps. I like TNG, and Voyager, too, though that was very bad during the 3rd season (iirc). But Deep Space Nine I have watched twice. And in a few months'time, who knows, I might watch it again...

DavidW:

--- Quote from: bwv 1080 on September 18, 2011, 07:41:29 AM ---If HBO can film George RR Martin, why not Alistair Reynolds or Peter Hamilton?

--- End quote ---

That would be awesome!  But those scifi authors have way too much crazy stuff going on to handle on a tv show budget, even for a network like hbo.  Martin's use of magic, armies, dragons etc is subtle and select.  Most of A Song of Ice and Fire can be characterized as people in a room talking, which is much cheaper to film.

DavidW:

--- Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 18, 2011, 05:22:29 AM ---And since these cultures almost never wanted to co-exist, Kirk would have to beat the crap out of a few aliens in order to make them see the rightness of the Federation's way of doing things. Most shows in the original series ending with a fistfight  :D Nearly every episode violated the Prime Directive.

Sarge

--- End quote ---

Sarge the fist fights are not as frequent as you remember.  They were actually fairly uncommon.  Most of the time Kirk would find a diplomatic solution, and many times he showed tact and wit (people ALWAYS forget this).  He never starts fights, but he does defend himself.

And most episodes did NOT violate the prime directive (which only involves interfering with cultures less technologically advanced).  And the ones in which it happened, the prime directive had already been violated before they arrived.

Lethevich:

--- Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on September 18, 2011, 07:44:35 AM ---I only happened to see one episode of Babylon 5... Deep Space Nine was on Dutch tv, and on the BBC, too. Which helped, perhaps. I like TNG, and Voyager, too, though that was very bad during the 3rd season (iirc). But Deep Space Nine I have watched twice. And in a few months'time, who knows, I might watch it again...

--- End quote ---

I was in a similar situation - if TNG and DS9 weren't so extensively serialised on BBC2 (while the news was on BBC1, which as I kid I wanted to avoid at all costs) I wouldn't like them half as much. Nowadays I have less patience to get into slow-paced series like Star Trek, so my opinions on the shows largely rely on nostalgia. B5 was on Channel 4 during ridiculously late hours, and it was a bit before my time anyway so I had to make do with DVDs, which can be pretty heavily discounted. If you have a decent connection, maybe stream a few episodes to see if you like it - it was shot in widescreen so looks very good except for the rare green-screen scenes, which for depressing and overly-complex reasons are an inferior resolution.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version