The Back Room > The Diner

Star Trek vs. Star Wars: The Poll to End All Polls

<< < (47/64) > >>

DavidW:
There are many people that enjoy the prequel trilogy but feel that Jar-Jar is the worst character in the Star Wars films.  You should take that as a consensus decision and move on Poju.  So many dislike Jar Jar that Lucas marginalized him in the other prequel movies.  Oh and stop with your one true scotsman fallacies.  People like the movies on their own terms, they are not fans only if they like it specifically your way.

71 dB:

--- Quote from: DavidW on September 30, 2011, 02:53:39 AM ---There are many people that enjoy the prequel trilogy but feel that Jar-Jar is the worst character in the Star Wars films.  You should take that as a consensus decision and move on Poju.  So many dislike Jar Jar that Lucas marginalized him in the other prequel movies.  Oh and stop with your one true scotsman fallacies.  People like the movies on their own terms, they are not fans only if they like it specifically your way.

--- End quote ---

"move on"
"stop with your one true scotsman fallacies"
"People like the movies on their own terms"

Ok, everyone can like the movies on their own terms expect I. That's what annoys me, my opinion is never equal with the opinions of others.

DavidW:

--- Quote from: 71 dB on September 30, 2011, 03:00:03 AM ---Ok, everyone can like the movies on their own terms expect I. That's what annoys me, my opinion is never equal with the opinions of others.

--- End quote ---

Your opinion regarding the movies is valid.  Your opinion regarding the fans, that is to say your opinion that people that are critical of the prequel trilogy are not Star Wars fans is not valid.  Very simple distinction.

Grazioso:

--- Quote from: 71 dB on September 30, 2011, 02:12:39 AM ---My opinion is that if someone spents time with Star Wars she/he will get to know about Lucas' style as an filmmaker and will understood why the sounds of lightsabers and the color/shape of the ears of an creature in the background are just as important to Lucas as the performances of actors in leading parts. I think one must agree at least partially with Lucas in order to enjoy his films in the first place, otherwise it's hard to appreciate what he does. Same goes with other filmmakers too, of course.

--- End quote ---

It can be interesting and helpful to know what an artist intended, what their thought processes were, but ultimately once the art is released to the public, viewers will bring their own perspectives and concerns to the table.

--- Quote ---In my opinion if you care about something you use "friendly" language when describing it. So, a person who likes Star Wars might says

"Jar Jar is a bit annoying in some scenes but I recognize the comic value of the character and I give credit for all the pioneering cgi work done."

On the other hand a "Prequel Trilogy Hater (PTH)" might say something like:

"Jar Jar is one of the most annoying characters in any movie I have seen. Lucas has lost it. He doesn't have a clue about what is cool and what isn't."

My point is that "treating objectively" still gives you opportunity to use words that correctly reveal your true stance.

--- End quote ---

You're not just using different tones in those examples, you're saying substantially different things. I've enjoyed the original trilogy since it was first released. Jar Jar is a horrible idea all around*, and the second trilogy is a big step backwards. I feel no conflict in expressing those views. I would only moderate my language if I were actually conversing with Mr. Lucas, in deference to his feelings.

--- Quote from: 71 dB on September 30, 2011, 03:00:03 AM ---Ok, everyone can like the movies on their own terms expect I. That's what annoys me, my opinion is never equal with the opinions of others.

--- End quote ---

If you're going to voice a minority opinion on a discussion forum, you have to be prepared for dissent. Best thing you can do is either shrug it off or mount a stronger defense.

* Interesting that, iirc, no one here has mentioned that more than a few critics have seen Jar Jar as a racist stereotype.

karlhenning:
Poju, you don't really think Jar Jar is funny, do you?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version